why are a VHF and flares important?

spanner

For maximium safety in more remote areas i've looked at personnel EPIRB's with GPS but even carrying one of them i would still take flares you just can't be too careful when the sea's involved imo and to be honest an inshore flare pack doesn't take up that much room even in a kayak.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your excellent advice , however I am anything but foolish. I take safety very, very seriously , hence why I am not keen on flares. My girls are 7 and 4 and I don't like the idea of explosive items on board. All other risk factors hooks, knifes, petrol etc l I have sorted and am comfortable with and the boat is advertised as unsinkable ( yeah,yeah so was the Titanic :D ).

I live in North Devon and the tides and coastland are among the most dangerous in the UK, however I have friends who have thundercats who go out with nothing but a mobile phone and PDF. Last week I was trying out my P13 for the first time in a bay I know well and was joined by a non fishing Yak who was on his way to paddle about 4-5 miles along the coast and had a PDF only !! Most of the non fishing yakkers i know do not have even a mobile onboard. I feel that some of the people I know think I am a bit OTT about safety, but "BOTHERED" not ! BTW price and space were never an issue only safety.

I still believe that me not wanting flares is the correct descion, however no one has supported my stance, I have been wrong before so I will take onboard the majority advice and get some, probably an inshore pack.

If I was stuck to having only 2 safety items I would go for VHF (high tech) and a CO2 foghorn/alarm (low tech, very loud, dependable, easy to operate even in water, has anyone else got one!!)

Thanks for your advice

yours ex-muppet Peter :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

hey toss pot peter

How about all the other good advice?

we may not all be yakkers, but that does not mean that we do not offer good advice. My daughters are now 9 and 7, but have been capable of using VHF, Flares etc since they were 4 years old. They have also been capable of knowing what not to do - i.e. playing with dangerous items.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi Nick,

there was plenty of good advice , the reason I addressed Simon was he called me foolish so I directed my post to him. I accept all the advice and most of which I take on board , I am sorry if you felt I did not acknowlede yours then I apologise. However if anyone in the real world called me toss pot without reason as you have then I can assure them they will require medical attention afterwards as I am not a little chap. Please in future respond in a reasonable manner , mods please note.

Peter

Edited by peter-robbo

• 5 months later...
Hi Nick,

there was plenty of good advice , the reason I addressed Simon was he called me foolish so I directed my post to him. I accept all the advice and most of which I take on board , I am sorry if you felt I did not acknowlede yours then I apologise. However if anyone in the real world called me toss pot without reason as you have then I can assure them they will require medical attention afterwards as I am not a little chap. Please in future respond in a reasonable manner , mods please note.

Peter

well said peter! personal integrity is paramount ,advice can be taken or ignored but theres no call for rudeness and name calling.

can anyone suggest a decent hand held at all, as you never know when you need to "pan pan"

why stop at not carrying flares leave the compass too we have gps . also no need for navigation :rolleyes:

children are not fools ,teach them at a early age and they will respect that flares etc are a must have on any boat . i could not believe my eyes reading that you take children on a boat without flares

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

On a slightly different but related tack , how many of you would know how to give competant CPR , often overlooked but another lifesaver.

Me, but there is no way I'm ever gonna give you the kiss of life :P

Why has this thread been dragged up?

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I