Beachcasting for Carp

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to carp fishing but love it. Every weekend I am away all over Cambridgeshire trying different venue's. When I first got into Carp fishing about 1yr ago I was shown the beachcasting method and have had some terrific results...However, I cannot find any mention of this method in any of the magazines I purchase, nor do I see anyone else fishing this method. Please could anyone tell me why, especially as it's such an exciting and easy way to catch Carp of the surface.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Eddie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Eddie and welcome to AnglersNet.

Could you describe what you mean by the beachcasting method. I have no idea what it is but if it works that well, I'd love to know more.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Eddie and welcome to AnglersNet.

Could you describe what you mean by the beachcasting method. I have no idea what it is but if it works that well, I'd love to know more.

Thanks for your greeting!!

Well, how I beachcast for carp. You proficient carp anglers of knowledge and wisdom may have better terminology for my description so if I sound an ignoramus then forgive me.

I use a 15ft Carp rod stood upright(beachcasting position). It needs to be a minimum of 15ft really because of the line length required for casting.The main line goes to a 2oz lead tied to the end of it to hold the bottom.Before tieing your lead on slide on your float. I havent seen these floats for sale so I made one. I used a pike float, drilled it out so it takes an approx length of 12" rigid 3mm plastic tube through it. Glue the plastic tube into the float so theres about 6ins above the float and a few inches below it. Tie a stop knot or use a shot to set a depth of approx 8ft-9ft from the lead to the top of the float. then, a further 3-4ft past this using your preferred method, (I cut the line and use a 3 way swivel) tie your hook length of approx 12" long with a hair rig on the end, this hangs down on the water, then tie the 3 way swivel to your main line again. The idea is your line goes from your rod tip to the float about 6ins above the water. Approx 3ft from your float your hooklength hangs down from this with your dog biscuit mounted on it. It needs to be calm, and you adjust your reel so the dog biscuit just touches the surface. I catapult in more dog biscuits to get them feeding. Just sit back and wait....that rod will go with a bang and you'll have fish after fish. If you try it in windy conditions your dog biscuit gets blown off the top. Any more questions please ask......or if you try please let me know how you get on. I have fished lakes before with a lot of anglers on it all day using float, quivertip , pole etc, and they have done no good at all yet I have been pulling em out all day. If you wish to E-mail me at e.clark898@btinternet.com I can send you a diagram which will show you my set up more clearly. Regards Eddie

Don't they use a technique similar to this for catfish on the continent? I vaguely remember hearing something about streching a 'clothes line' across a river and suspending a live bait on the surface from the line, although I could be making this up :-)

I have used this method in the past (7+ years ago) with a very good success rate.

It`s frowned upon in fishing because of the various methods which people attach the hooklink to the mainline. I`ve seen it where people have used 3-way swivels to attach the hooklink, which if a crack off happens, then its a death rig.

The way that I used to do it is detailed in the image below:

post-903-1178187015_thumb.jpg

If you was to crack off, then everything would slide off the line.

however, its not a rig that is used much now due to the bad reputation its gained over the years because of people using an unsafe version of it.

I have used this method in the past (7+ years ago) with a very good success rate.

It`s frowned upon in fishing because of the various methods which people attach the hooklink to the mainline. I`ve seen it where people have used 3-way swivels to attach the hooklink, which if a crack off happens, then its a death rig.

The way that I used to do it is detailed in the image below:

post-903-1178187015_thumb.jpg

If you was to crack off, then everything would slide off the line.

however, its not a rig that is used much now due to the bad reputation its gained over the years because of people using an unsafe version of it.

Hi, and thanks for your comments. Indeed, I use a 3 way swivel as you described. Now I know the dangers of doing the set up that way I will change to your set up.....but it's a fantastic set up.

Regards Eddie

I think the main objection people have (aside from uing dangerous rigs) is the commotion and disturbance it can cause, particularly on small waters with a lot of anglers. If the guy next to you is trying to float fish and you're heaving out big leads and pike floats, he's going to get annoyed.

There's no doubting its effectiveness though. If the rig is safe and you're not interfering with anyone else, I can't see any good reason not to use it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

Anderoo, I don't think thats very fair! A float fisherman will generally be fishing much closer in than a beachcaster. Also, a lead and float causes no more of a splash than a method feeder.

Use of a 3 way swivel is a BIG no, no! The alternative to Si's beads is to use sliding stop knots tied with powergum, thats how I do it.

As for technique.........there aint nothing to touch it, and IMO is the biggest reason it gets banned. I turned up at a pool in Brum 2 seasons ago and all the old boys with floats and poles hadnt caught a single carp all afternoon. I set my caster up and took 21 carp in 2 hours. Needless to say lots of filthy looks were cast in my direction and a big sign 'no beachcaster rigs' appeared the next day!!

I've not got around to it yet, but I intend returning to this pool just to p*ss em off with a gardner suspender rig! :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Now THAT I would pay to see!!! Are they the red and black suspenders??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))