general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

I have watched this forum for a while now and whilst I am impressed by the obvious genuine desire of many members to promote conservation of `some species` [obviously only the ones they consider worthy] I find it strange that a forum dedicated to sea should spend so much time and effort on posts regarding `minor' or indeed `vermin' species.

Dogfish ! check back on how many posts relate to the 1 and 2lb dogfish catches. If that is fun why not go to the canal and catch perch (nothing actually wrong with that). Seems to me that a lot of young and up and coming anglers appear to becoming indoctrinated by [ what does Davy Holt call them?????] `relatively high profile anglers' or some similar phraseology. I read that to mean a tiny group of anglers, who undertake regular postings and so get a name. The fact that they may not know an awful lot about what they are talking about seem to have nothing to do with it.

They congratulate each other on some spotty dogs, the occasional ray or a 10lb conger or then we hit the epitomy of sea angling , WOW! we catch some mackral !! And this is a forum that hopes to influence Government ministers, Government Depts and the likes on matters of conservation???????? A total joke!!!!

To the younger anglers, I cannot speak for the English waters (although I did stay and fish there for about five years some twenty years ago) the waters around Scotland, in particular the West coast, are teeming with quality species. There is excellent light tackle sport (12-20lb) on tope to around 40 - 70lb, turbot and brill are in numbers around Stranrear and Mull of Galloway, Porbeagle shark exist on most S.W. southern facing headlands from late July through November, they also run off the headlands in the North, North East and N. West costs from October through March /April (a cyclic concentration based on moons phases). Halibut still exist in numbers off five marks near the Point of Stoer to around 150 -250lb, Trigger fish can be taken on shell baits ,West of Mull, almost as easy as Makeral and black mouth dogfish, on certain marks very close to Oban, can be taken in abundance. Common skate to 192lb have been taken in the outer Firth of Clyde in the past 6 years near Arran, (from memory the total is around 140 plus skate from 65lb up), all released [but not tagged in accordance with the silly programme currently only tagging fish in an `aquarium' off Lochaline and surounding waters).

Pollack to 24lb have been taken off marks close to Ailsa Craig (not the marks fished by the cattle boats) and large regular catches of cod are still made a mile or two away from the 60`s and 70`s marks of Gourock and Dunoon.

A SWORDFISH IN LOCH LONG!!!!!! Big deal!. They are an indigenous species to Scottish and European cool to temperate waters and can be taken `failry' easily on nightime rod and line but not regular, (6 in two and a half years) Check the number washed ashore on the Fife and close by East coast marks each Feb. March.

Rays Bream, a regular (to be honest annoying catch) west of Barra in July - Oct when you are looking for other things, [pink muppets work well at around 50mtrs jigged fast]

Again to the younger anglers. Dont believe that all you can catch off Scotland are doggies. Harrass and question the `high profile anglers' about their knowledge of the above and then question why they should even be high profile (apart from the fact they post more often, talk crap and tell out and out lies).

By the way I`ve been fishing 49 years, hold multiple IGFA world records, was a charter skipper for many years and have some 7 box files full of info on Scottish sea species dating back to the 1880`s). Hold saltwater and freshwater fly rod records as well as some of the largest catches of common skate in any season (almost 3 ton, tagged and released in four months)

Trust this may get some of you thinking and if it opens a can of worms, so be it. You have chased one good angler off in recent weeks, try again.

Tight lines,

Stan Massey (prefer pyro??? or did the court actions re those lies that cost you the boats stop you using that nickname????) what goes around comes around!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Image

Seriously though mate. What exactly is your point here?

To knock the forum?

To knock certain individuals - many of whom provide excellent advice?

To take the p*ss out of some of the very commendable conservation efforts being made by members?

To seriously promote the excellent fishing here in Scotland?

Or is it as I expect from reading your post several times - a shameless self promotion exercise?

[ 15. July 2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: 101_North ]

Welcome Stan, sidestepping some of the more political bits of your post, it seems like you have some good stories and info to share. I'll look forward to reading about some of the more challenging catches to be made north of the border. :)

You haven't got any mates down here on the Thames Estuary that can point me toward some Swordfish have you?

welcome stan

i fish the tay

species cauaght : sea trout , salmon , smelt , sea scorpion , blennies , coalfish , whiting , codling , flounder , plaice , silver eel , bass to name a few.

i am not a great fisherman but i like to catch different species and try to travel as much as i can

I had been out of fishing for a few years due to setting up my own buisnessand only got back out this year, it was some of the guys on here that got me out.

Welcome to the forum, the more that are here to help the newby's and folk just getting back to fishing the better, I look forward to hearing more from you.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

stan4massey:

And this is a forum that hopes to influence Government ministers, Government Depts and the likes on matters of conservation???????? A total joke!!!!

Stan, I was going to welcome you, but dont see why I should....but, can I ask you, why you bothered posting at all....or are you just having a bad day....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Stan4massy, blimy, an intelligent poster! You see the reply from Norrie, typical of this forum. If you speak the truth, they don't like it! They have a go at you. It's a pity that you can't spell Mackerel. I almost began to think you knew your stuff! Anyone who claims to be interested in sea angling, but just cannot be bothered to spell the species correctly, is a complete fraud!