general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

:D:D:D

Superb..."Vive la difference"....as they say...cant stay long...off at 4.30am to fish the "aquarium" that is Lochaline..First time off my own boat.... :D Wish me luck chaps..

Dale...Well done on your fish .... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with catching dogfish. I used to read a lot about them being a 'plague'.

So i was pleasantly suprised when i hooked my first one to find it could actually fight back. I now make a habit of fishing for them, they are obliging when other species are not and can actually pull your line!

I don't want to argue with you Stan, but at least the people who offer advice take the time to bother. I am definatly an 'amateur' angler, but i will still offer my opinion if the angler in question has not had any from other, better anglers. I don't claim its gospel, or even fact, just my opinion. And i wouldn't post merely to seem like an expert, I doubt i will even ever meet anyone from this forum. I post merely to try and help, and to recieve helpful posts when i need advice (OFTEN) :D

quote:

There is nothing wrong with catching dogfish. I used to read a lot about them being a 'plague'.

So i was pleasantly suprised when i hooked my first one to find it could actually fight back. I now make a habit of fishing for them, they are obliging when other species are not and can actually pull your line!

I don't want to argue with you Stan, but at least the people who offer advice take the time to bother. I am definatly an 'amateur' angler, but i will still offer my opinion if the angler in question has not had any from other, better anglers. I don't claim its gospel, or even fact, just my opinion. And i wouldn't post merely to seem like an expert, I doubt i will even ever meet anyone from this forum. I post merely to try and help, and to recieve helpful posts when i need advice (OFTEN)

I agree with everything you say Geoff. i joined here. I asked for help and it was offered in abundance. Last weekend I caught my first dogfish and posted a pic on here...along with 4 other species I had never caught before.

Its the whole point of a forum ..share info and experiences ,ask advice and help others where you can.

I fail to see the point of your post stan...but it would seem to me the sole purpose of your post is to belittle the efforts of those people who are prepared to help others....no we dont all hold igfa records or have caught tons of fish. But there are some ppl who are proud to have caught their first dogfish and there are probably pictures of first "perch" from the canal if you look hard enough.

The fact is that posts containing pics of what ppl catch are only a small proportion of the large number of posts here each day, and on many and varied diferent subjects. But in my opinion if the person was pleased enough to go to the effort of posting a pic that is special to them, it is only reasonable that those of us who still have our feet on the ground and can remember when we caught our first "nuisance" species offer congratulations to the proud captor.

If fishing has reached the stage for you where your sole intrest is in something that potentially breaks an igfa record and your post is all you have to offer to beginners and up and coming anglers in the way of support....have you thought about taking up playing golf.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

No intention whatsoever to either knock the forum or put down regular posters nor was I having a bad day. Possibly just a bit frustrated at the (apparent) lack of angling ambition by many. If you dont try you aint going to catch them.

The main intention of the post was to highlight the simple fact that there are a lot more species available around the Scottish coasts than generally assumed and also in venues where they may well be least expected. For younger anglers or indeed any beginners then LSD`s and mackeral are fun and an almost certain way to ensure they are hooked on a healthy outdoor pastime but once a bit of experience is gained they should be aware that they can move on.

I also screwed up my figures on the skate in the outer clyde, should have red 14 not 140 (wish it was 140). The `aquarium' is where many of the skate are tagged and whilst it gives good information it (imho) would appear to restrict the true information on the actual distribution of this species which can in fact be found in many marks from the Solway to Shetland as well as east coast marks.

Quite a few of you have e mailed me. I am not ignoring or failing to reply I am a computer dummy

(many would probably say more than just computers)

All I am getting is a postmaster notification that someone has mailed me regarding the post, nothing else.

As for the big game club it died an ingnimoious death in the mid 90`s with a vast array of chiefs and politicians but few indians.

I would also at this point have no hesitation whatsoever to publicly apologise to any who think I was knocking the forum or to any individuals who think my purpose was to put them down (except one or two of course). The forum, again in my humble opinion, seems to give good sound information on a variety of aspects both boat related and fishing but the (apparent) assumption that this is our lot and we have to make the best of it is simply not true. The species I forgot to mention in my tirade is bluefin. I`ve spent many years studying that one and it is looking ever more possible that at certain times of the year they may well be within striking distance of some of you small boat anglers in relatively inshore and sheltered waters

Self promotion was not even close to my thoughts when posting. I`ve done or more correctly had that done in the past and taken all the stick, niggles, ridicule, put downs, jokes etc etc. Not even remotely interested in that nonsense but I do have a lot of information and a bit of experience

on the more `exotic' species which I am perfectly happy to pass on if anyone is interested. Actually catching them is down to you. All are probably only attainable from boat except the triggers which may just be within reach of a good beachcaster (I myself can manage about 60 yards with a force 6 back wind and that`s on a good day)

Tight lines Stan

Ian,

so would I. Never caught a swordfish in my life and only a few chicken butts (3-4lb). Hadn`t thought of anyone looking at it that way. I am not claiming to have caught all of these species but I`ve aimed anglers at some in the past and they`ve been successful and I`m reasonably clued up on the where and when after about thirty years of research.

Stan.

manofkent, you are obsessed with spelling mate, get a life. maybe bugger off the an English Lit forum.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Stan,

I once caught a possable common topnott record from the rocks in Cornwall, as I remember it fought like a wild tiger and getting the ruddy thing up the rocks almost broke all my fingers.

I didnt have the hart to kill the fish and claim my glory. So I returned it and proceded to nurse my bleeding hands.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!