general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan are you not impressed with my common topnott feet?

Personly speeking it was the highlight of my 30 year angling life.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Baptisms of fire? your not a suiside bomber are you Stan?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam,

yes, impressed by any fish that makes an angler happy with his catch. more so if a potential record is returned alive. I probably killed a few too many in years gone just in search of some sort of `not that important' glory. No, not a suicide bomber but as most of them, by the very definition, are blown up there are probably a few, (mabye a lot) who wish I was. Most of my applications to join the diplomatic corp have been knocked back.

Stan

cheers Norrie.

seems the `unapproachable' one wasn't too impressed given his comments on the IAC.

then again when you have caught all the 50lb+ cod he has then i suppose you have a right to be unimpressed.

wonder what part of the goldfish bowl he has caught them.....

Hello Stan.

I have also read through your post a few times now. I really am at a loss to see where it is coming from or going to.

I live on Stronsay in Orkney. I used to have a creel boat so I know my way around but it is only the last few years that I have "Got into angling". In angling terms I am a beginner. With a few other mates on Stronsay who are very in-experienced we have have set about finding out what we can catch around our waters and have found the people on this forum very helpfull in our quest.

I don't know how to do quotes on here yet so bear with me.

" WOW! we catch some mackral !!"

I am sure this isn't anyone saying "Look at me I am clever I caught a macky". It is more a shared piece of information that they are back in large numbers in various places around our shores.

"Dogfish ! check back on how many posts relate to the 1 and 2lb dogfish catches"

Up until two weeks ago I had never caught a dogfish on a rod, I was very pleased to have done so, Since then my other friends on Stronsay have all caught them and we are all happy about this. I am sure we will catch more of them as we look for other species and not get so exited about this any more.

"Again to the younger anglers. Don't believe that all you can catch off Scotland are doggies. Harrass and question the `high profile anglers' about their knowledge of the above and then question why they should even be high profile (apart from the fact they post more often, talk crap and tell out and out lies)."

What are you on about?????. I doubt any one has said anything like this, in fact the reverse is true. Who is talking crap? Who is telling out and out lies?

"Trust this may get some of you thinking and if it opens a can of worms, so be it. You have chased one good angler off in recent weeks, try again."

I have been around a few forums over the last few years and I have found this forum to be far the most well run and civilised forum about. People welcomed me when I asked about using multipliers. Yes you do get the odd spat that tend to say "My county is better than the rest of the country put together" but compared to lots of other places on the web this forum is as welcoming as it gets and has a far smaller amount of people leaving than any other I have seen.

It is also well managed by the owner and admin staff.

The bit I really don't get about your post is the following:

"Seems to me that a lot of young and up and coming anglers appear to becoming indoctrinated by [ what does Davy Holt call them?????] `relatively high profile anglers' or some similar phraseology. I read that to mean a tiny group of anglers, who undertake regular postings and so get a name. The fact that they may not know an awful lot about what they are talking about seem to have nothing to do with it."

I am assuming that these people you mention are the very same people who have given me so much help and encouragement over the last few years.

I look forward to seeing if you can be so helpful and make people feel so welcome here Stan.

Bob

Bob on Stronsay,

fair points you make Bob and if you read my second post above you will see I had no hesitation in posting an apology as I probably did go on a bit and write it in a manner which was not the way a lot of it was intended, as I indicated in the last post I can be un-diplomatic at times a definite failing on my part. The out and out lies were addressed by me on a one to one basis with the person concerned and with luck will not arise again.

I also hope I can be of some help to one or two and having got the initial niggle off my chest will restrict my postings 100% to matters I may be able to assist with if any.

Stan

Quote; A SWORDFISH IN LOCH LONG!!!!!! Big deal!. They are an indigenous species to Scottish and European cool to temperate waters and can be taken `failry' easily on nightime rod and line but not regular, (6 in two and a half years) Check the number washed ashore on the Fife and close by East coast marks each Feb. March. Unquote

Hi Stan

So who actually caught the 6 swordfish in 2.5 years. I am amazed they kept it so quiet.

I would appreciate a bit of information about the Turbot and Brill around the Mull of Galloway. I had my first Turbot for 10 years approx. one month ago and that weighed a mighty 1.5 pounds

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian,

who caught them is not up to me as they are keeping it quiet for the time being. A medium sized boat was brought up from S. England but catches were smallish and they intend coming back to try for bigger things.

As for the brill and turbot, that is easier and subject to no official secrets I know of. A fairly small bank west of Craig Laggan light (S. of the Oust rocks). Rises from around 35-40mtrs to about 18-20mtrs. Its not on the charts but is about 6-800yds offshore, almost due west of the Craig light. Total bank size is about two football pitches. There`s a wreck about another three hundred yards out but seems pretty barren for most of the time. There are also still a few good plaice from time to time on the same mark as well as rays.