Portsmouth Harbour this weekend. Any tips?

Shep

I am going to spend Sunday and Monday fishing Portsmouth Harbour. Hopefully for Sea Bass. Does anyone have any tips as to where when and how to get best results?

:clap2: Plenty of fish in Portsmouth harbour at the moment. I'm shore fishing there tomorrow for mullet and will probably get a few bass as a bye catch. Peeler crab top bait for bass at moment but some coming to squid. Flounder, eels, plaice and it does throw up a few "strange" fish occasionally.

Have a chat with the local tackle shops as to "hot spots." It's a big harbour, good luck. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May 5 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Plenty of fish in Portsmouth harbour at the moment. I'm shore fishing there tomorrow for mullet and will probably get a few bass as a bye catch. Peeler crab top bait for bass at moment but some coming to squid. Flounder, eels, plaice and it does throw up a few "strange" fish occasionally.

Have a chat with the local tackle shops as to "hot spots." It's a big harbour, good luck. :clap2:

:clap2: Sunny with a fresh S/W wind, had several small mullet feeding but no size mullet to be caught. I had a 1lb plus bream, a size bass, pollock, several wrasse, ballan and corkwing and a pout. I may go again tomorrow and concentrate on the bass and bream, unless the weather conditions make mullet a possibility. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May 6 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ May 5 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Plenty of fish in Portsmouth harbour at the moment. I'm shore fishing there tomorrow for mullet and will probably get a few bass as a bye catch. Peeler crab top bait for bass at moment but some coming to squid. Flounder, eels, plaice and it does throw up a few "strange" fish occasionally.

:clap2: Sunny with a fresh S/W wind, had several small mullet feeding but no size mullet to be caught. I had a 1lb plus bream, a size bass, pollock, several wrasse, ballan and corkwing and a pout. I may go again tomorrow and concentrate on the bass and bream, unless the weather conditions make mullet a possibility. :clap2:

Well I spent most of the weekend there trying Crab, Squid, Rag, Sand Eel, Razor, Cuttlefish, Mackerel and a couple of lures. I tried from the jetty, the beach, the pub wall and in the harbour near the ferrys at all times of day and night. All the while dipping into my copy of Hooked on Bass. All this resulted in a few nice bites and a lot of lost rigs. Meanwhile everyone else who fished caught something. What made it worse was the teenagers who wer mucking around caught more than anyone (Lee turned out to be a really nice lad as we spent the Monday together sharing bait and tackle).

So I didn't catch any fish but I got my fishing fix which when you live in London is hard to come by. I met some nice people. Stayed in a great B&B (The Fortitude on Broad Street. It's right next to the pub and the breakfast is 1st class though the sausage is a bit small).

But I still want that nice sized Bass for my dinner so will keep trying.

Thanks for the tips folks,

Shep