Net Dive Bags

Greywulff

Darnsarf gave me one of the Lidl net bags last year---wouldn't go fishing without it now :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this thread I must admit to getting very spooked when I am out alone Kayaking.

It is mad and crazy I know because the odds are still better to be hurt in the house or on the road but I do worry. <_<

A kayak is like a big floating seal and we are out there away from the surf zone and over deeper water. Shark bait for sure and I do reckon them Great Whites are here and about.

:headhurt:

Go on tell me I am a plonker!

:headhurt:

Gilbo you're a plonker! :thumbs::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Not only a plonker, but fishbait!

great Whites used to be here before the industrial revolution. I wouldn't be surprised when one is caught. But a Prowler is not like a seal. Divers and surfers look like seals, but they have flippers and bend in the middle. They also give out different vibrations etc. And they aren't yellow.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Divers don't actually look like seals but when they are on the surface they become targets for one of the white sharks favourite feeding patterns that being to ambush and attack from below prey at the surface and as such they are constantly looking out for objects silhouetted above them. They are also very curious and will inspect unusual items they find, one way of doing so is to give said item an exploratory bite. As for seals not being yellow, this is true but it was thought that yellow was a colour that sharks found highly interesting hence it getting the nickname "yum yum yellow".

There are no biological reasons why white sharks shouldn't be found off the coast of the UK and there have been a few reported sightings of them over the years but no confirmed captures.One of the nearest white shark captures was off La Rochelle in france in 1977 which when you consider that white sharks tagged off Australia have been recorded in South Africa means that the distance form La Rochelle to the UK isn't really very far for a white shark to travel.

Perhaps the only reason we haven't seen them so far is because they are such a rare species anyway. Mind you if you did come across one you'd have a hell of a time hauling it up on your kayak! get your picture in the papers at the least.(probably in the missing person listings :D:D:D )

Edited by snakey1

All this talk about sharks...ur more likely to drown!

If that 1 in a million shark fancies swimming a few thousand miles out of it's way to bite a fat scotsman then i figure my numbers up...i won't give it any more thought.

I'll happily hook a tope and let it motor me around for a while.