What's the fuss about ?

carl2920

Is there a real need to use Fluorocarbon? I've used mono for years but now feel maybe im missing out on something, a lot of adverts talk about it being far better than mono. I do a lot of lure fishing on stillwater but do like to drop down to the small buzzers, wets and dries when I need to. Should I believe the hype :blink: advice required.

Fluorocarbon line is stable and reliable these days so using it is a matter of what fits your rig needs at the time. When compared to normal mono, fluoro line

- is heavier than water so naturally sinks as opposed to mono which floats.

- is probably less visible to fish when in the water. It certainly is harder for humans to see.

- has only about 3-4% stretch compared to 15-20% for mono.

- is more stiff in a given b/s & diameter.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I know that I catch more when I use fluorocarbon. That could be because I fish more confidently but I think it is because it sinks better and my fly is working just that little bit deeper.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks Sportsman the catching more fish bit sounds good & thanks Newt you've converted me fluorocarbon it is, im checking prices now. I'll get back to you both and let you know how i've come on. :thumbs:

Thanks Sportsman the catching more fish bit sounds good & thanks Newt you've converted me fluorocarbon it is, im checking prices now. I'll get back to you both and let you know how i've come on. :thumbs:

Carl, Pick up the revamped Todays FlyFisher, it's now called Total Flyfisher. It's got a free 6lb flouro on the cover. Maybe not the best of quality but FREE and something to 'suck and see'. :)

Carl, Pick up the revamped Todays FlyFisher, it's now called Total Flyfisher. It's got a free 6lb flouro on the cover. Maybe not the best of quality but FREE and something to 'suck and see'. :)

Free is good will pick up a copy :clap2: Thanks for the tip off Shedhed. :thumbs:

Carl, Pick up the revamped Todays FlyFisher, it's now called Total Flyfisher. It's got a free 6lb flouro on the cover. Maybe not the best of quality but FREE and something to 'suck and see'. smile.gif

I will be testing my free louro on Wednesday through to Saturday. Will post a report, one thing I like about is I can actually see it!

Cheers

Dave

KFF

Target fish: Anything!

I tried it using nymphs and I think I did get more takes but it snapped far too many times for me to trust it, so I'm back to the drennan sub-surface stuff which has never let me down. By the way, it sinks, so don't try to use it with dries!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I tried it using nymphs and I think I did get more takes but it snapped far too many times for me to trust it, so I'm back to the drennan sub-surface stuff which has never let me down. By the way, it sinks, so don't try to use it with dries!

Is it the free stuff thats been snapping or is it fluorocarbon in general ? Got a copy of Total Flyfisher with the free flurocarbon on it ( thanks ShedHed ) & im expecting some Berkley Vanish 6lb from e-bay. :thumbs:

im expecting some Berkley Vanish 6lb from e-bay.

Test a few lengths to make sure it does not break unexpectidly. They may have improved the line but for a while it was the only line Berkley ever made that had a horrible reputation for quality.

That said, folks using it for mainline had the most problems and shorter lengths for leader were usually OK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President