Greek Crisis - A Good Thing For Europe?

Newt

This opinion article from the Washington Post deals with some of the same objections to the EU that I've read on here over the years.

I'd be interested in opinions from folks who are closer to the problem than I am.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The rest of Europe is recognizing the moral hazard of giving Greece a slide — and encouraging debtor nations throughout Europe (and their left-wing radicals) to believe there’s an escape hatch from reality.

Fat chance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/greece-debt-crisis-live-caroline-lucas-says-greeks-being-deliberately-humiliated-austerity-10359987.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/01/syriza-cave-in-elites-regime-change

You can't have a single currency without a unified financial policy. The Euro was a fudge from the very beginning. Everybody knew the countries in the south of Europe wouldn't pay their taxes and would bleed the subsidies dry.

I suspect that we are about to see fundamental change in Europe. Possibly the full unification of France, Germany Belgium and Austria and everyone else backing away from federalisation and the single currency to create a ring of free trading states around the core with boarder controls and easy to obtain visas for people who can support themselves.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well here is my two pennies worth.

How much have europe bailed out Germany in a crises because we are talking money off an incredible scale

I love German people i really do and know a few of them but in general as a nation it has to be held in check by the rest of europe as its like a caged animal who wants to get out and dominate us all in whatever climate it can take advantage of.

I hate this government with a passion as it slaughters its own working class people even more so i think than Thatcher and that is a bold comment but they are right to tell Germany that you are not having it all your own way and if you think you are then see you around as we have survived on our own unlike you who can't because you can't control your own politics and people as two wars have proved that..

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Germany is the country on the hook for paying the largest slice of Greek debt, but it's not the most exposed relative to the size of its economy. There are poorer countries than Greece on the hook.

Germany will not allow Greece to leave the EU much in the same way it was telling Ireland it got the vote wrong when voting against the Lisbon treaty.

Sorry Ireland please try again.

Germany has once before tried to unify Europe by the point of a sword, now it is using the power of currency. The more in debt the easier it is to dominate.

Perhaps Germany wants to rekindle old aims?

Things are looking sticky. Talks have collapsed. We may be looking at an interim bailout leading to a scheduled withdrawal from the Euro.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think Greece can claim PPI compensation from Germany as i am sure they did not mention if you defaulted you would lose your house and home.

• Like 2

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I see a high risk of two outcomes from this - either a complete or substantial break up of the Eurozone, or greater fiscal union such that the EU can impose fiscal discipline (including austerity measures) from the centre without the democratic consent of the citizens of the nation concerned.

(and I think the latter was the objective of currency union from the start)

• Like 1