Best anchor for sand + Current?

JRT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fish bristol channel 8-9nts use three prong sand anchor 2lb but we use dive reels for the rope very fine which cuts down the drag but they are also strong and have the added benefit of a winding spool which keeps all that line tidy when up-anchoring....

I need to hold in a 5 knot current in a shallow estuary with a sandy bottom, any advice?

Thanks

JRT

5 knots seems a bit ambitious, given recent experiences in much less, my advice would be don't. You'll need a quick release method & buoy to get away if necessary as retrieval isn't going to be easy (if possible at all) in 5 knots, then return later when the current is much less.

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

For those not in the know the bristol channel has second highest tidefall in the world, in cardiff the channel is very narrow and runs like a river in flood. we anchor all the time, do you need photo's to prove. for the person who can't paddle against 5nt you should either go to the gym or perhaps question your fitness

For those not in the know the bristol channel has second highest tidefall in the world, in cardiff the channel is very narrow and runs like a river in flood. we anchor all the time, do you need photo's to prove. for the person who can't paddle against 5nt you should either go to the gym or perhaps question your fitness

hello ackomeister

i live the opposite side to you and have wondered about fishing the channel in winter, what size anchor do you use. last thing i want to do is anchor at Clevedon and end up at steepholm :headhurt: