Best anchor for sand + Current?

JRT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to hold in a 5 knot current in a shallow estuary with a sandy bottom, any advice?

Thanks

JRT

I normally fly-fish from the kayak. When anchoring in Bridlington Bay which is about 15 - 20' and has a sandy bottom I use a 3lb cannon ball downrigger weight attached to a 20" chain and 50 foot rope. It holds the 'yak fine and the tide is often around 4 knots or so. If I want to slow drift I swap the cannon ball for second length of chain so it drags the bottom.

The Jet-Ski brigade anchor using plastic weights from dumbells. 5lb is their favourite size.

Before the safety police get too excited I admit to carrying one of these on a 3 foot heavy chain and 160 foot rope, for emergencies.......

a136.jpg

Regards, Clive

No, i am responsible i wear an expensive yak life vest and prior to going out i attend the nearby penarth life boat depot where they blow up my two arm bands to the required pressure. the only draw back is that after afew hours fishing you tend to loose the feeling in your finger tips with the cut off of the blood supply caused by the arm bands....

Thankyou ACKO POWER for just proving what I'd been thinking all along :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I have no doubt that the tide runs through at 9 knots at times - but I seriously doubt your ability to paddle against it - and anchoring in it must be fun with the full bore of the water against the quarter - even anchored off the bow you would be yawing about all over the place.

I would love to see you paddle your fishing kayak at 9 knots - that is faster than a Katabatic sea marathon kayak can obtain with a fit paddler. An OS1 can attain about 16 km/h in good conditions, which is roughly 9 knots - are you paddling an outrigger kayak with a 37cm beam?

Anchoring in a fast tide is one thing, but paddling against it is quite another. To make headway against that current, don't forget you need to be making MORE than 9 knts through the water - otherwise you simply backing down tide.

For some comparisons here are a few average speeds for kayaks of different types:

Sea Racing kayak approx 8 - 9 knots

Fast touring sea kayak 6.5 knots

standard touring sea kayak 6 knots

fast SOT (Pelican/ Dorado) 6 knots

standard SOT (Scupper Pro) 5.5 knots

extended beam SOT (Prowler etc) 4.5 knots - 5 knots for short distances.

Touring river kayak also about 4.5 knots

The reason these speeds are as they are is the limitation of the waterline length. As you go faster you start to catch your own bow wave, going faster requires the paddler to ride up over the bow wave - so you have to work 50% harder for a 10% gain, increasing with speed until you get to a point where you put in 100% extra for a 1% gain. The longer the waterline length the faster you can go before you start to catch your own bow wave - that is why longer kayaks are faster or easier to paddle at the same speed.

I think you need to take a GPS out with you and set it to record the fastest speed attained on a trip (Garmin sets will do this) - I think you might surprise yourself at just how modest your progress is. If you can truely paddle a sit-on-top at 9 knots please get in touch with the BCU - they need you in 2012 for the K1 racing.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

If you can truely paddle a sit-on-top at 9 knots please get in touch with the BCU - they need you in 2012 for the K1 racing.

And then it will be worth a trip to Paddypower :thumbs:

Ok Prowler 13

Acko's proposed fitting of a radar will do nothing to streamline his Yak. At 9 knots he will almost be 'on the plane' and just skimming the water. I hope the combined forces of the revolving radar antenna and the resultant slip stream produced at such a speed will not cause that little known phenomenon of 'yak torque out' resulting in the apparent non-movement of the radar antenna, whilst the yak revolves at a steady 14 times per minute.

If you can truely paddle a sit-on-top at 9 knots please get in touch with the BCU - they need you in 2012 for the K1 racing.

And then it will be worth a trip to Paddypower :thumbs:

He would have gone even faster, but the drag from his 100 foot gill net knocked a least two knots off his best speed. Don't worry either about the torgue effect. The gill net will act as a keel. Either that or he'll end up wrapped up in his net.

Regards, Clive

was'nt this site boring until the arrival of the meister

no it was adults who enjoyed kayaking chatting and sharing useful imformation . not childish drivel

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ