Do you fish at Hampstead Heath?

joolpools

I work at Hampstead Heath and have to prepare a new angling leaflet ready for June 16th. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about angling but there’s only me can do it. It would be nice to include some information about the different fishing ponds (there’s 6: Vale Pond, Mixed Bathing Pond, Hampstead No2, Viaduct (red arches), Mens Pond, Boating Pond) from an anglers perspective, and some nice photos of our fish (I gather some of the carp have names!). Can anybody out there help, e.g. with a 2 sentence review of a pond you use or picture of a catch you were proud of?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at Hampstead Heath and have to prepare a new angling leaflet ready for June 16th. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about angling but there’s only me can do it. It would be nice to include some information about the different fishing ponds (there’s 6: Vale Pond, Mixed Bathing Pond, Hampstead No2, Viaduct (red arches), Mens Pond, Boating Pond) from an anglers perspective, and some nice photos of our fish (I gather some of the carp have names!). Can anybody out there help, e.g. with a 2 sentence review of a pond you use or picture of a catch you were proud of?

I've never fished there but suggest you might canvas the local tackle shops. They should know about the ponds and might also know people who fish them

meatballs

Since you're on here Joolpools, do you have to pay to fish at Hampstead Heath? If so how much?

What sort of species are there in the ponds?

Is there a close season in effect on the ponds? (I'm assuming that there is as you need these leaflets ready for June 16th)?

No it's free, you just need to get a fishing permit from Parliament Hill Staff Yard (near tennis courts by Highgate Road) tho I'm trying to make it possible to do online and by post as well. There's 6 ponds where fishing's allowed with carp, bream, rudd, perch, gudgeon, pike, tench, roach. Biggest carp in Vale of Health and Men's Bathing Pond I gather. Yep, you guessed right, the close season is March 16th to June 16th

I've never fished there but suggest you might canvas the local tackle shops. They should know about the ponds and might also know people who fish them

meatballs

Thanks for reading Meatballs. That's a good idea which I hope I can find time for... i need to talk to tackle shops at some point anyway re getting a discount for people who do our Learn to Fish sessions in August.

If theres good fishing on Hampstead Heath I'd love to know about it.

I spoke to Dave at Frames Tackle in Hendon and he said the Vale and the Mens is supposed to be good but I have my doubts.

This is only opinion based on a couple of sessions but...

IMHO The City of London have totally let the ponds die through neglect:

The Vale is silted up to the point where from the bank it only looks 6 - 12 inches deep.

Hampstead No 2 is going the same way

Viaduct has had a mass of pond weed over recent summers resulting in oxygen deprivation and large scale fish deaths.

The boating lake has no cover and is devode of features.

As far as I'm aware CiL have not done any restocking, clearing of rubbish or maintainance of the ponds.

There is a cormorant resident on Vale and one on Hampstead No 2.

When I first (re)started I googled on Hampstead Heath and could find very little apart from a couple of news stories in the local paper demoaning the decline of the ponds by local anglers.

When I went to get a permit the man couldn't find them, he said he couldn't remember when someone last asked for one

You are plagued by irresponsible dog owners who through sticks into your swim, or don't keep them under control.

The Heath is 20 minutes away from me but instead I take a 90 minute journey to Jacks in Hadley where the lake is properly maintained and the fishing is far superior.

NB I'd love to be proved wrong.

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Hi rarepleaseures, we are almost neighbours!!

I live in Hendon.

I would call Dave at Frames Tackle as he knows who fishes on the heath.

I have thought about going there a couple of times but never got round to it.

Colin

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

Hi rarepleaseures, we are almost neighbours!!

I live in Hendon.

I would call Dave at Frames Tackle as he knows who fishes on the heath.

I have thought about going there a couple of times but never got round to it.

Colin

Hi Colin I'm in Childs Hill, where do you go fishing ?

Reliant as I am on public transport I can only get to Jacks. The Heath as I've already expressed seems to be a waste of time. I've also tried the GUC at Paddington which may or may not have fish in it but I've not been able to catch. When the season starts up again I'll try to get out to the Colne at Uxbridge.

The Welsh Harp is supposed to be good fishing through not legal.

Tony

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Try

Sharp's Fishing Tackle

162, Malden Rd, London, NW5 4BS

Tel: 020 7485 1759

He is only a 10min walk from the Heath and usually has something to say about it when asked.