• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

Have any of you chaps out there fitted radar yet, it seems the only optional extra that has'nt been considered. Mounting it would appear to be the prob as it has to be above eye level (radiation) and the possible un-balance.Lets throw this open for discussion????????????/

#2 gilbo

gilbo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

I think in a kayak it would be more important to have a radar reflector and not actually a radar.

It would be better to be seen and located rather than knowing what big ship is heading your way.

I have looked at radar reflectors and would love to have one. The pole type ones look good and I may fit one as a rear flag holder.

Anyone else got ideas.

:thumbs:

#3 paintfly

paintfly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

Have any of you chaps out there fitted radar yet, it seems the only optional extra that has'nt been considered. Mounting it would appear to be the prob as it has to be above eye level (radiation) and the possible un-balance.Lets throw this open for discussion????????????/

So, what yak do you paddle, where would you mount it?

#4 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

Ive been offered a cheap lowrance radar 16mile range the only prob is that the screen is 24" do you know if you can get smaller screens??????? and do you think a car battery would power it???

#5 grego

grego

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

: :

Ive been offered a cheap lowrance radar 16mile range the only prob is that the screen is 24" do you know if you can get smaller screens??????? and do you think a car battery would power it???

:headhurt: akomeister surely the spinning of the radar would unbalance your kayak leading to disaterous results . Your kayak must be one of the huge type.

#6 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

No grego they arn't like the ones on ferry's and the qe2 the smaller ones are incased quite a small compact unit infact. I paddle a prowler and was thinking of fixing it where the rudder can be placed, i made a balsa wood scale model to test balance ect ond it seemed to respond good. Ive got nothing to loose i'll give it a go...

#7 dan01

dan01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

As long as the balsa held up to it, then im sure nothing can go wrong. As for powering of it, the battery should be able to cope with that no probs. Good luck :thumbs:

#8 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Cheers dan, the only other concern is the backwards cast when uptiding but i will have to suck it and see.

#9 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Cheers dan, the only other concern is the backwards cast when uptiding but i will have to suck it and see.

#10 ACKOMEISTER

ACKOMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts