How's it going

Kappa

How is the spring / summer going for you so far?

I've had some good fun fishing for crucians.

But the main thing I've been doing is lure fishing. I have become completely obsessed.

In the last week I've caught: pike, perch, zander, chub, roach and seabass on lures. I just can't get enough!

What have you been up to?

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Getting a bit dispirited about tracking down the Thames barbel now that the river level is so low. I know they're in there, they've been spotted spawning this spring, but as to where they are now... Lots of weed growth, not much flow. They could easily hole up somewhere totally inaccessible and only emerge at night (no night fishing, it turns out).

Might go and catch perch on the dropshot rod instead - they were snaffling my lobs on Sunday.

It's the usual summer doldrums for me, but in a nice relaxing and enjoyable way. I don't currently have any big ambitions or obsessions and am spending my time floater fishing for carp in the evenings (very exciting, especially when they're close in by your own bank and in the lillies!) and fishing for crucians at weekends (a semi-obsession, and really enjoyable especially now I've had a few good fish on the float). Or, like last weekend, no fishing at all!

I had the ultra light lure obsession earlier in the year but now it's summer that's subsided, ready to be picked up again in the autumn. Before the weather got properly warm I had a few very enjoyable days at Farmoor with Steve Walker catching really good sized and conditions rainbow trout on floating lines, small nymphs and dry flies. So much fun :)

I haven't felt the urge to get out on the rivers yet, I'm waiting for rain and flow before bothering. Around here they are usually a big disappointment early in the season. I'd rather be sitting by a pretty pool with lilly pads watching a float for crucians :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I am really waiting for my favourite time and that is Autumn where in the main the fish i like to go for come out to play and in the main the fair weather angler go indoors to play!

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I've just had a few short sessions on the Thames and had virtually nothing. Am planning to switch to the lakes for the reasons Anderoo gives.<br /><br />But Kappa seems to be doing well. Rich,do you mind saying if any of your lure fishing has been in the Thames? Near me it is quite coloured, which has put me off, but maybe that is a mistake? And another question, doesn't ultralight lure fishing mean you catch endless small perch?

john clarke

Hi John,

Yes the Thames a thames tributary and the canals.

Ultralight does mean small perch but it doesnt rule put better fish.

So where I used to blank I now catch a dozen small perch where conditions are better pike and bigger perch are a possibility.

To be honest I havent fished anywhere decent or in good conditions yet this season on the thames. However I havent had a blank yet. Even in 15 minute sessions whilst the wife shops.

Thats also what I love about the ultralight setup. Its always in the car and even in 15 minutes Id expect to catch.

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Oh and I should mention. Its all about the balanced tackle!

With the ultralight rods anything over say 4oz feel pretty big and anything over a pound feels massive.