Mid wales tope

Martin Hurst

Thanks guy,

Couldn't be bored great advice :thumbs::thumbs: Off to put theory into practice

All the best,

Greywulff

Greywulff

I Don't care who you are... You're not walking on water while I'm Fishing!

Prowler 13 Angler

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lost three fish on the wednesday due to tackle failure ( mono trace and too short a rubbing trace ) I wound on 25ft of shock leader attatching it with a knott phooey showed me ( albrighton I think?) . Worked perfectly and was vert neat. However the tapered leaders are definitely the way to go. Just been reading that Mackeral is not the best bait for the Tope and that half a Dab will outfish it 5-1!!! :blink:

Ok Prowler 13

Having lost three fish on the wednesday due to tackle failure ( mono trace and too short a rubbing trace ) I wound on 25ft of shock leader attatching it with a knott phooey showed me ( albrighton I think?) . Worked perfectly and was vert neat. However the tapered leaders are definitely the way to go. Just been reading that Mackeral is not the best bait for the Tope and that half a Dab will outfish it 5-1!!! :blink:

and some idiot caught and released two last week at Tywyn :wallbash::wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

BAITS Most magazine writers recommend mackerel as the main bait for tope. Not so! In the Bristol Channel, and especially inside Cardigan Bay, half a dab cut diagonally across the body or a small whole whiting cut as flapper bait is far more effective. The same applies to Scotland and Ireland though most anglers use mackerel.

I've also had great success with lamprey for tope over the past four years,The reason mackerel is over rated is due to the tope's feeding preferences. A tope, as can be realised from its body shape, is basically a bottom dweller. Their main food supplies are dabs, whiting and gurnards, all fish that are easily outrun and caught by chasing tope. Mackerel are mainly an off-the-bottom swimmer and well above where the tope normally swim. Besides, in a straight dash a tope cannot outrun the fleet finned mackerel. In reality, it is a rare for a tope to take a fully fit live mackerel. Mackerel are a periphery food source found as injured or damaged fish in the last throws of life.

Mike Thrussel

Ok Prowler 13

Oh!rub it in why don't you :wallbash::wallbash::D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Wow - great trip, great reports!!! :thumbs: Wish I was there!! :rolleyes:

The fires where just not the same without you Mark. See you for the next one hopefully :thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Are you bored yet?

Stu

Bored of reading about Tope fishing off kayaks - NEVER !

Very informative and well put together post Stu.

2 ? seasons fishing for these wonderful beasts and already a LOT of knowledge is building up.

:thumbs:

That Charlie 'B' must half know some stuff !

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard