discarding

hastfish

good for you steve ,dont answer the fact your still dumping good food and a income over the side .im not getting in a row over ways of netting with you thats not the way forward and as for saying we in the s/east caught all the cod ,you having a laugh.not joining nutfa up to you also ,if they ever get anywhere with qouta an the like youre be saying no thanks then. the biggest point is cods are being dumped ,released every day ,not many go back un damaged no matter what your method of capture ,so how many survive.is this a conservation tool .no. the way forward is technical measures .meantime endless cods are dying ,never to be seen again by commercials or anglers.i would rather land it and give it away then feed the star fish and whelks and pick up someone elses discards, white and stinking in my nets no matter how long they have been down.you forget us small netters only catch cods when the soles go in midto late october we cant go scalloping or whiting bashing ,what should we do till febuary ,tie up and go broke.im not doing that ,i work as hard as any one ,what ive got i earned ,im not going to roll over and die because the goverment will not stand up to europe. cod dumping is immoral and disgusting and we should not be doing it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter

Nice to see you are back

We are in area v11d and our cod season runs from October to December

This year the cod quota was taken by the end of January we landed no cod, Hasting and the south east landed the whole quota, landing afew boxes of cod would have given us something instead we earnt nothing from the cod fishery and no track record either

We are taking steps to lessen the cod discards and for what so other people can catch the quote in a less sustainable and responsble way than us is that really fair

Maybe I should do the same as the MOB do long tows and SHOVEL back loads of dead cod, and then blame Defra and the EU for it, I am not earning anything from the cod fishery why should I not do the same as every one esle, being responsible and having a conscience springs to mind.

Fishermen need to do whats best for their fisheries it has gone beyond what the so called managers are capable of doing they do not care whether fishermen earn any thing or not, they just want to protect their jobs and pensions

Everything is just a bloody mess and I see no future for commercials or anglers

Kind Regards

steve

Hello Steve

Do you don’t really want to get into an argument on the difference in discard rates between trawling and gill netting ?

I suspect the reason for your short tows is due to the amount of weed on the patch of ground you are working , the trawlers in this area have had the same problem this year, with the price of fuel it can’t be very viable as you are spending nearly as much time hauling and re shooting as you are fishing.

What more sustainable way to catch cod is there than a 140 or 150 mm gill net fished on a tide lay? Even long lining hardly compares and trawling does not even come close!

The only reason the boats are still using the sole trammels is because it’s that or nothing as they are not allowed to fish for the cod . The fishermen can’t be blamed for that, if they were allowed then they would be using the very selective large mesh gill nets traditionally used to catch large mature, and if you want to pander to the politically stupid, environmentalists and misinformed anglers like you are doing, above spawning age cod .

Defra claim out of over 3000 under tens they want only around 800 left and they want to achieve this as cheaply as possible, what better way than making it impossible to catch enough fish to make a living, no matter how sustainable or environment friendly you are fishing.

Once they have achieved this and I have no doubt they will then their sights will be set firmly on regulating anglers, remember the vision, this is the agenda DEFRA are working to.

I hope you are wealthy enough to survive the coming onslaught , perhaps fishing for oysters and bass only will be enough for you.

As you say its a mess and a totally senseless unnecessary mess as in the grand scheme of things the under ten fleet has very little effect on the overall stocks and make no mistake about it anglers will be making exactly the same case for themselves in the near future.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Here we have three commercials all with ideas regarding conservation, gill netting over trawling, short tows (pandering) sorry Steve and technical measures, so quite clearly there are methods to fish sustainably. To add credence to your post Hastfish perhaps you can answer my post twelve, trying to hold the tide back won't do. I think we all agree that discarding is disgusting, however all three have demonstrated that it does not need to be. Then we have others playing on discard big time and blaming all and sundry, who is right.

You also say Hastfish that discard that you put a value on, income lost, there would be more for everyone if landed. You don't really mean that do you as the majority of fish landed is for export, so it ain't for joe public in any event.

The muppets that deal out the quota. The annual pilgrimige to brussels sees quota being doled out including the uk, then the minister and the fishermen's reps come back from the jaunt slapping each other on the back. Unfortunatly, the uk quota is shared out among the big boys, the quota traders, then the crumbs are left for the majority of the uk fleet. Who's fault is that. Unfortunatly again it's the french who get the majority share in the channel, who's fault is that. Come to think about it. you don't really want to take some of the stock off them do you. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to the outcry to follow.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hello Steve

Do you don’t really want to get into an argument on the difference in discard rates between trawling and gill netting ?

I suspect the reason for your short tows is due to the amount of weed on the patch of ground you are working , the trawlers in this area have had the same problem this year, with the price of fuel it can’t be very viable as you are spending nearly as much time hauling and re shooting as you are fishing.

What more sustainable way to catch cod is there than a 140 or 150 mm gill net fished on a tide lay? Even long lining hardly compares and trawling does not even come close!

The only reason the boats are still using the sole trammels is because it’s that or nothing as they are not allowed to fish for the cod . The fishermen can’t be blamed for that, if they were allowed then they would be using the very selective large mesh gill nets traditionally used to catch large mature, and if you want to pander to the politically stupid, environmentalists and misinformed anglers like you are doing, above spawning age cod .

Defra claim out of over 3000 under tens they want only around 800 left and they want to achieve this as cheaply as possible, what better way than making it impossible to catch enough fish to make a living, no matter how sustainable or environment friendly you are fishing.

Once they have achieved this and I have no doubt they will then their sights will be set firmly on regulating anglers, remember the vision, this is the agenda DEFRA are working to.

I hope you are wealthy enough to survive the coming onslaught , perhaps fishing for oysters and bass only will be enough for you.

As you say its a mess and a totally senseless unnecessary mess as in the grand scheme of things the under ten fleet has very little effect on the overall stocks and make no mistake about it anglers will be making exactly the same case for themselves in the near future.

Hi Peter

quote/ I suspect the reason for your short tows is due to the amount of weed on the patch of ground you are working

No we dont have much weed where we are working, we are just trying not to dump dead cod back, as you know they are now roeing up getting ready to spawn. Why are you trying to make out that I am doing it for another reason other than the one I stated

quote/ What more sustainable way to catch cod is there than a 140 or 150 mm gill net fished on a tide lay?

That deepens on whether you have quota or not. Maybe your one tide lay is because of all the crab you have to BASH out of your nets or maybe its all the under sized skate they take. or you are having trouble with loads of SPURDOGS, 150 MM mesh size is just right to catch them.

quote/ The only reason the boats are still using the sole trammels is because it’s that or nothing

Whats up with the whelk fishery, Eastbourne just next door to Hasting has a hugh whelk fishery they could use all those cod discards as whelk bait

quote/ and if you want to pander to the politically stupid, environmentalists and misinformed anglers like you are doing,

So I try to stop discarding dead cod and you say that I am pandering to the above, you got to be joking, I dont pander to anyone. At least I do not, like you, try to justify and condone the Hastings lack of indiffence in not trying to mitigate the affects of discarding. The Scottish are why not us. To get the cod quota increased the cod stocks need to be at an acceptable level for the EU to increase the cod quotas, at the present rate of discarding it is never going to happen.

quote/ perhaps fishing for oysters and bass only will be enough for you.

My living deepens on fishing for sole, pollock, mackerel, skate, plaice cod if I had the chance sprats and herrings if they turn up not just bass and oysters.

Still just to make you happy I am going back to my 2-3 hour tows and when I shovel the dead cod back I will think of you and the Hastings fishermen and say thats afew less for those short sighted idiots

The situation is what it is if you cannot help yourselfs then no one else will

Regards steve

Edited by steve good

good for you steve ,dont answer the fact your still dumping good food and a income over the side .im not getting in a row over ways of netting with you thats not the way forward and as for saying we in the s/east caught all the cod ,you having a laugh.not joining nutfa up to you also ,if they ever get anywhere with qouta an the like youre be saying no thanks then. the biggest point is cods are being dumped ,released every day ,not many go back un damaged no matter what your method of capture ,so how many survive.is this a conservation tool .no. the way forward is technical measures .meantime endless cods are dying ,never to be seen again by commercials or anglers.i would rather land it and give it away then feed the star fish and whelks and pick up someone elses discards, white and stinking in my nets no matter how long they have been down.you forget us small netters only catch cods when the soles go in midto late october we cant go scalloping or whiting bashing ,what should we do till febuary ,tie up and go broke.im not doing that ,i work as hard as any one ,what ive got i earned ,im not going to roll over and die because the goverment will not stand up to europe. cod dumping is immoral and disgusting and we should not be doing it.

Hi Hastfish

You are doing a grand job keep dumping those cod, some one may take notice of you

Sweet Dreams

steve

Edited by steve good

Here we have three commercials all with ideas regarding conservation, gill netting over trawling, short tows (pandering) sorry Steve and technical measures, so quite clearly there are methods to fish sustainably. To add credence to your post Hastfish perhaps you can answer my post twelve, trying to hold the tide back won't do. I think we all agree that discarding is disgusting, however all three have demonstrated that it does not need to be. Then we have others playing on discard big time and blaming all and sundry, who is right.

You also say Hastfish that discard that you put a value on, income lost, there would be more for everyone if landed. You don't really mean that do you as the majority of fish landed is for export, so it ain't for joe public in any event.

The muppets that deal out the quota. The annual pilgrimige to brussels sees quota being doled out including the uk, then the minister and the fishermen's reps come back from the jaunt slapping each other on the back. Unfortunatly, the uk quota is shared out among the big boys, the quota traders, then the crumbs are left for the majority of the uk fleet. Who's fault is that. Unfortunatly again it's the french who get the majority share in the channel, who's fault is that. Come to think about it. you don't really want to take some of the stock off them do you. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to the outcry to follow.

Hello Barry

Desperately trying to keep ones top from blowing here, you could save us all a lot of time if you bought the Fishing News.

Where the hell have we demonstrated that it doesn't need to be under the present regime, we can all cut discards of under sized fish but the only way to stop discarding mature fish is to be allowed to land all we catch, you already stated that you think the minister was duped in to a miniscule rise in the quota so you obviously believe he should not have done so when in reality the only way to stop discard of cod above the legal mls is to increase the quota back to what it was during the early 70's .

I fish to live and live to fish.

you could save us all a lot of time if you bought the Fishing News.

See: http://www.intrafish.no/fn/?site=fnw

This week's features and articles at: http://www.intrafish.no/fn/news/

Oh! They are back to subscription access only :(

UK Commercial Fishing issues discussed at:

http://www.fishinglicenceforum.co.uk/index...1f82bad570e4d7b

http://nutfa.netfreehost.com/nutfa-forum-1.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

you forget us small netters only catch cods when the soles go in midto late october we cant go scalloping or whiting bashing ,what should we do till febuary ,tie up and go broke.im not doing that

So why did you ask for lots of quota at the start of the year then? Don't complain about discarding when it's your own fault! Perhaps you should look for another job, or slip your boat for maintenance, or go for whelks like SG suggested? I know you're using ray/sole gear and still getting the cod you don't want, but surely you'd have had that last year - all those nice cod didn't grow from being undersized to the size they are now in a year, you must have seen it coming.

Everyone is in pain with the amount of cod being dumped, but it's short term pain for long term gain.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

As the arbitrator (no bias one way or the other) in all this, could someone tell me who is the new Minister for Fisheries/green marine issues, so I can write to him/her/it forwarding your concerns???

Your obedient servant

Mandy

rude.jpg