discarding

hastfish

I suppose that it takes a particular type of man to become a successful skipper of a fishing boat. Some of the qualities I believe are needed are a mixture of tenaciousness, stubborness, an ability to put your money where your mouth is, and sheer bloody mindidness. These can be useful traits when finding and catching fish but not much good when it comes to agreeing on a solution to the current problems facing the fishing industry.

It is particularly sad to see three fishermen from the under 10M fleet arguing with each other about the way forward as I have seen them doing in the preceeding posts to this topic. As I am sure has been said before but, it is this tendency to splinter into different groups depending on locality and method of fishing that has put us in the situation that we are in now. There is never any united stand because of the supremely competitive nature of fishing which can lead to a certain amount of selfishness.

The main problem as I see it is the management tool being used to regulate fisheries ie quotas. Scientists can do their sums based on the data they have. It all goes down on paper, tons of the stuff I should imagine. This paper is passed on through endless commitees who in their turn produce more paperwork which is meant to give the impression that they are actually doing real work. Then decisions are taken based on this paper work which has been produced in a place so far from the real world that in practical terms they lead to the depressing result of discards and more fishermen having to pack up.

Quotas, in the vast majoriy of cases, work only as a paper exercise because the oceans of the world have a dynamic which is far too complex for scientists let alone the members of the various commitees to understand.

I believe that reliance on the quota system is particularly damaging to the under 10M fleet, who by the very size of the boats is unable to shoot their nets (be they static or towed), discover that they are catching fish that they are not able to land and so steam to another area which may produce the a better proportion of fish which they may land.

The smaller boats are and always have been oportunistic, catching the fish that are available on their own little patch when it is there. They have such a small impact on the fish stocks compared to the larger boats and are so limited in the area of operation that there should be much more flexibility in ther regulation.

I have never met a skipper of an under 10M boat who has made more than a reasonable living with a lot of hard work. In most cases they barely scratch a living and I really do not understand the vicious attacks on them that I have read on this forum.

To restate my case I believe that the way forward needs to see more flexibility towards the regulation of the under 10M fleet.

Edited by Captain Sensible

"I fish therefore I am"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that it takes a particular type of man to become a successful skipper of a fishing boat. Some of the qualities I believe are needed are a mixture of tenaciousness, stubborness, an ability to put your money where your mouth is, and sheer bloody mindidness. These can be useful traits when finding and catching fish but not much good when it comes to agreeing on a solution to the current problems facing the fishing industry.

It is particularly sad to see three fishermen from the under 10M fleet arguing with each other about the way forward as I have seen them doing in the preceeding posts to this topic. As I am sure has been said before but, it is this tendency to splinter into different groups depending on locality and method of fishing that has put us in the situation that we are in now. There is never any united stand because of the supremely competitive nature of fishing which can lead to a certain amount of selfishness.

The main problem as I see it is the management tool being used to regulate fisheries ie quotas. Scientists can do their sums based on the data they have. It all goes down on paper, tons of the stuff I should imagine. This paper is passed on through endless commitees who in their turn produce more paperwork which is meant to give the impression that they are actually doing real work. Then decisions are taken based on this paper work which has been produced in a place so far from the real world that in practical terms they lead to the depressing result of discards and more fishermen having to pack up.

Quotas, in the vast majoriy of cases, work only as a paper exercise because the oceans of the world have a dynamic which is far too complex for scientists let alone the members of the various commitees to understand.

I believe that reliance on the quota system is particularly damaging to the under 10M fleet, who by the very size of the boats is unable to shoot their nets (be they static or towed), discover that they are catching fish that they are not able to land and so steam to another area which may produce the a better proportion of fish which they may land.

The smaller boats are and always have been oportunistic, catching the fish that are available on their own little patch when it is there. They have such a small impact on the fish stocks compared to the larger boats and are so limited in the area of operation that there should be much more flexibility in ther regulation.

I have never met a skipper of an under 10M boat who has made more than a reasonable living with a lot of hard work. In most cases they barely scratch a living and I really do not understand the vicious attacks on them that I have read on this forum.

To restate my case I believe that the way forward needs to see more flexibility towards the regulation of the under 10M fleet.

Many thanks for your post Captain, i agree with you on flexibility, however at present the industry have the minority big boys who are allowed to take practically all that is avalible, export it and leave the crumbs for the rest. So to provide more of a share to the under tens, the big boys must also play a part. How would the stock that is showing at present be protected in place of quota?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Looking at the past 20/30 years, it's obvious to all who care about it, that the stocks of 'cash fish' were over-fished first by the giant E Coast herring fleet and then with regard to cod (under 10s in Area VIId) and by larger vessels (especially pair trawlers) in IVc and IVb. Then there were the plaice and soles in the same areas which were/are targeted on a local basis by smaller boats.

It is apparent to rod and line recreational hobbyists that quotas, when enforced, have been accompanied by increases in biomass of these species in those areas.

Quotas are almost certainly not the management tool we (all fishermen) need, but they have had an effect on regional stocks.

The discard problem and management strategies could be altered in everyones' favour by the adoption of commercial practices which enable species to procreate and be fished for sensibly.

I was lucky enough to have been a deckhand on an under 10 potting for crabs and lobsters off Bognor. There was always enough for a fair living.

Fishing techniques and vessels have now been developed to the extent that 'sustainability' issues have been raised at the top level by regulatory bodies.

I hardly think it the place for RSAs (like me) to suggest how this base sustainability can be achieved, although we are all concerned.

Until the large commercial fishing wholesalers and operators get their heads together with the scientifically informed and politically motivated personnel, we might as well stop airing these issues on anglers' forums and ask that commercials do the same on here.

It really does cause me grief that commercial lobbyists and crewmen raise issues here and on WSF and appear to agitate and make accusations against a group of RSAs who want nothing more than a nice session's rest and relaxation and a couple of fish to show for at the end of it.

Would it not benefit all, if anglers kept to hook and line 'hobbyist' issues and let the commercial sector get on with their own debates within their own forums?

The usual closing of a thread with 'You're talking out yer bum' countered by 'You lot rape and pillage' is beginning to grate!

<_<

Hello HA

I am sorry that it gives you grief that commercial fishermen post on this forum. I think that that it is important that they do. It is makes sense that in any discussion that both sides of an argument are aired, otherwise it's just me/you and my/your mates down the pub pushing against an open door.

Quote "It is apparent to rod and line recreational hobbyists that quotas, when enforced, have been accompanied by increases in biomass of these species in those areas."

Which species and where? Based on what evidence?

Quote "Quotas are almost certainly not the management tool we (all fishermen) need, but they have had an effect on regional stocks."

They may well have had an effect on regional stocks but has this been the effect expected or indeed of any benefit to any one?

Quote "I was lucky enough to have been a deckhand on an under 10 potting for crabs and lobsters off Bognor. There was always enough for a fair living.

I don't know how long ago this was but you may not know that shellfish prices have stayed the same for the last 10-12 years. You will be aware that the price of fuel, steel, netting, rope, maintainance has incresed in line with inflation. I wonder that if you were to repeat the experience whether you would still find enoughto make a fair living

As has been said previously, commercial fishermen have far, far more to lose when it all goes wrong.

"I fish therefore I am"

As has been said previously, commercial fishermen have far, far more to lose when it all goes wrong.

Equally do charter boat skippers?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Sorry Barry, perhaps I should have said commercial boat skippers with a financial interest in fish stocks. Bit of a mouthfull though.

Not a problem apart from one guy used that title as a lever within a sfc to get one particular charter boat banned from his own port inner waters this year. Still what goes around will come around no doubt.