fishing for carp while they spawn?

henda11

I take your point. I just think he's eager to get out there and catcha few....we were all that young and eager once (some of us just didnt grow up! LOL).

I have these visions of a newbie young angler catching a 6lb eel.............ROFLAMAO!!! Enough to put him off angling for life. <_<

How young though??? are we talking adult or junior?? as no profile details or place of origin??

Could help people respond better if they even know what part of the country or country our friend is from.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u dont get it tho, im not just there to fish for the carp anyway....the tench and bream are there along with the perch and roach and what have you...but ive consulted the club baliffs and they are saying its fine to fish so im going to fish for them, and i care for the carp, i bought 7 of them from furnace mills to put into that pond,

this is a pm i just got from henda11...think you should of just posted it on here to let ppl kno you fish for other spieces.....but....did you have permission from furnace mills???? did you have a section 30???? was the fish checked for diesese b4 they was moved????? moving fish is illegal and can totally wipe out the whole stock of a lake

Edited by scoop

The close season was dropped because 99.99% of the time the fish started to spawn after it finished anyway.

That's a very impressive and specific statistic you've got there Alnath.

Could you please post a link to the source of the info'?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The close season was dropped because 99.99% of the time the fish started to spawn after it finished anyway.

An interesting statistic that really cannot be supported by the facts. Spawning is temperature dependant and in most cases suitable conditions occur during the traditional close season. For carp the minimum acceptable temperature for succesful spawning is around 18c which usually will occur during May or early June at the latest. Species such as roach, tench and predators such as pike will spawn earlier so by June 16th most coarse fish will have spawned. Odd years when spring is very cold will naturally see later spawning, alternatively a warm early spring will see earlier spawning.

For carp the minimum acceptable temperature for succesful spawning is around 18c which usually will occur during May or early June at the latest.

I keep reading these sort of "facts" about spawning and they are simply not true.I will give a simplified (but acurate) guide to what triggers the spawning of coarse fish here in the UK.

Most indigenous cyprinids such as Roach,Chub,Bream,Dace,Perch etc require a water temperature of between 15 and 18 degrees.The temps vary slightly to enable a slight spread of the spawning from species to species.Once the water has reached the required minimum temperatures the actual spawning is triggered by the amount of avaiable daylight (ie length of day) This relatively low water temperature is always (other than in truely exceptional cases) reached during the period of the old traditional closed season. This has come about through natural evolution over the millions of years these species have been present.

Carp require a different set of stimulus.The easiest way of putting this across is to explain the "Thousand degree days" principle-

The very first day of the year that the water level reachs 20 degrees note the figure of 20 down.Each day if the temperature is 20 or over add it or the 20+ figure to the preceeding figure or total.If the temperature drops below 20 deg in this time you must stop and start again. When the total reachs a thousand degrees the carp will spawn.As carp are not idigenous they have evolved to the ambient temperatures in the countries of their origin and havnt been in the UK long enough to adapt to ours. In this country a water temperature of 20 degrees is relatively high during the time of year in question in fact many waters (due to their geographical location and other factors) never reach a "thousand degree days" on a regular basis.Hence forth whilst carp quite often spawn late or not at all in this country.

Most indigenous predators have evolved to spawn well before other species as this enables them to be in a position to feed on the newly hatched fry of their prey.Once again their is a slight variation in water temps and available daylight requirments from water to water but this is just a reflection (in most cases) of the variation of spwaning in the prey fish.For example Pike normally spawn between Febuary and March.

People seem to forget that carp havnt been in the UK for very long! well not long in the scale of evolution any way!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Carp require a different set of stimulus.The easiest way of putting this across is to explain the "Thousand degree days" principle-

The very first day of the year that the water level reachs 20 degrees note the figure of 20 down.Each day if the temperature is 20 or over add it or the 20+ figure to the preceeding figure or total.If the temperature drops below 20 deg in this time you must stop and start again. When the total reachs a thousand degrees the carp will spawn.As carp are not idigenous they have evolved to the ambient temperatures in the countries of their origin and havnt been in the UK long enough to adapt to ours. In this country a water temperature of 20 degrees is relatively high during the time of year in question in fact many waters (due to their geographical location and other factors) never reach a "thousand degree days" on a regular basis.Hence forth whilst carp quite often spawn late or not at all in this country.

I didn't realise that carp were so good at maths :rolleyes:.

Won't matter if he is targetting carp, as was said earlier "If they're spawning, they 'aint feeding...."

The private lakes where I fish have different spawning times, the main lake started last weekend, the smaller one has yet to start. But I would expect it to be any day soon as the carp have gotten decidely dis-interested in feeding.

It's nice to give the carp a rest and try float fishing for the silver fish...other than that, take a break ...clean your kit up and get ready for the feast.