Crab / Lobster / Prawn nets

Mark Crame

A couple of nights ago I went out and dropped a couple of nets inside the harbour baited with heads and bones from the fishmonger and weighted down with a couple of decent stones. Last night I went out to haul them up and have a look:

P6070176.jpg

P6070177.jpg

Hoisted aboard, they fit nicely across the lap on a yak, and access to the catch is easy.

P6070179.jpg

First out was this fella. A one-armed bandit, he was too small at 60mm carapace length to keep so after being admired went back in.

P6070180.jpg

His cellmate, a velvet swimmer, got a well-deserved CRABSBO before following him back in the water.

P6070182.jpg

Star prize went to this guy, who amazed me at being able to get in

P6070183.jpg

Some blatant gratuitous prawn now, I would have expected a lot more of these and would have had a pint or two on the seaward side of the harbour wall, these being the length of my finger:

P6070184.jpg

I only had eight in total that were decent size so only a small snack – but boiled up with salt they tasted absolutely spot-on, firmer and sweeter than any you’ll buy anywhere. I’m out drop-netting on Sunday subject to conditions.

P6070187.jpg

Next net yielded another lobster, again undersized but with both claws his time. Another pair of pics because I just find them so beautiful:

P6070185.jpg

P6070186.jpg

I also had edible and shore crabs, all of which went back due to being undersized or in small quantity (shore crab are cooked up for a smashing bisque and are a delicacy in France where my wife is from. I haven’t tried it yet but will do sometime if I get a decent haul of them).

A sealouse also made an appearance. Weird looking things. Reminds me of my ex.

P6070190.jpg

Last catch, on the rod on the way in, was another shore crab. He just didn’t want to let go! Roll on the fish taking a bite though, still no joy there.

P6070191.jpg

A good night out again. If the wind drops I’ll check again tonight, perhaps dinner will be awaiting?

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

nice one :thumbs: so whos got crabs then

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Me. Just went out again and I'd got another lobster, undersized and missing a claw again, edible, shore and swimmer crabs, a few more prawns and a little baby squid. Ah, all these species.

P6080194.jpg

P6080195.jpg

P6080196.jpg

Popped the lobster back and he went off - sank about a foot then flicked his tail up to his belly and shot off backwards. the squid got back in, squirted a couple of puffs of ink and was gone. Couldn't get the edibles out as they were holding on for dear life and I didn't want to hurt them unnecesarily but shook out the others.

Lovely still night, no real wind to speak of, gentle shore break and 2ft swell, current not doing a lot. I wanted to stay out for a while longer really but with no fish biting here at the moment (and it's not just me apparently) I came back in. Might try for the mullet next week, they're around.

when i was in aberystwyth, over the last few months, me and a mate of mine set a few prawn traps (my mate had one like yours, i had a commercial one, twice the size) we mainly set them to get bass bait, we hardly got any prawns though, just like you, we never had more than 10. Had alot of crab though in them, mainly shore crab, which incidently, if you get the bigger ones, dont taste too bad, not as nice as spider crab, but still quite nice.

what i was going to say though, was that we had our traps raided almost everytime we put them out, by people, we must have put them out about 10 times, and most times we came back, they showed signs of being raided. people dont seem to be able to keep their hands to themselves, so make sure you hide them traps well!

good luck, and nice catch.

dave

These prawn traps are excellent fun and I am pleased to see you have had a good result with them. Great photos :)

Those velvet swimmers are well worth eating! Full of meat and very tasty. :thumbs:

Edited by gilbo

Cheers Martin - yes, they are lovely! Not many around this year it seems though.

Gilbo - I migth give them a try, always put them back before but they are common here.

Two more types of critter today - snake pipefish and spider crab.

P6110272.jpg

Had 3 lobsters in the nets yesterday, all fairly small. I left them in and this afternoon there was only one - either someone nabbed them or they have found a way out.

what are the names of the edible crabs, prawns and lobsters in the british isles......i think i need some pics before i start munching

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_crab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsters

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?