Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

Hi All

Interesting thread, wish I could say the same about your comments.

The mackerel vessel caught 500 tons and made £300,000 for a £12,000,000 investment. People do not invest that sought of money unless there is a future in that fishery. The mackerel fishery is well managed and sustainable thats why they caught 500 tons in one tow, and yet you all condemed them for doing so. I would point out that there were no unsize fish caught and no DISCARDS whatsoever. your comments do not do justice or show understanding of this fishery.

regards steve

Compared with the rest of the uk fishery where everyone slags off the bad management, what makes the mackerel fishery management stand out as well run, have defra managed to get something right. I don't think any of my posts condemed these guys. Only targeted the baddies.

Shows you how far a commercial factory ship has come where it is so selective it can target a shoal of fish and none are undersize, no discard, amazing. what do we know.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Compared with the rest of the uk fishery where everyone slags off the bad management, what makes the mackerel fishery management stand out as well run, have defra managed to get something right. I don't think any of my posts condemed these guys. Only targeted the baddies.

Shows you how far a commercial factory ship has come where it is so selective it can target a shoal of fish and none are undersize, no discard, amazing. what do we know.

You have got to give the skippers some credit Barry, they do have brilliant boats with the best equipment there is, but they new just where to go and just when they would get there fish. Mackerel when migrating (as they where) move at one hell of a speed so you have got to know where there going if you don’t find them first time.

They just made it look easy Barry. More than likely for the cameras

Regards.

You have got to give the skippers some credit Barry, they do have brilliant boats with the best equipment there is, but they new just where to go and just when they would get there fish. Mackerel when migrating (as they where) move at one hell of a speed so you have got to know where there going if you don’t find them first time.

They just made it look easy Barry. More than likely for the cameras

Regards.

I did not give them discredit Challenge. I do happen to agree that they have the right gear for the job, otherwise they wouldn't catch the fish would they and i hope it stays sustainable.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

.....£12,000,000 pound investment.....

I have no problem with people catching fish to earn a living. What I object to is people catching what most people would regard as obscene quantities of fish (in terms of fish per crewmember per day) just to service ridiculous bank loans. There is obviouslysomething rotten with the quota system if a single boat can have enough to justify such levels of expense.

I have no problem with people catching fish to earn a living. What I object to is people catching what most people would regard as obscene quantities of fish (in terms of fish per crewmember per day) just to service ridiculous bank loans. There is obviouslysomething rotten with the quota system if a single boat can have enough to justify such levels of expense.

Just one of these super ship catches half the mackerel quota in the uk. That does not leave a lot for the rest. Problem is when mr & mrs public go shoping for a mackerel supper, looking at the stuff in nearly all the supermarkets, i would not feed it to a cat let alone eat it. So these super ships are not doing uk public any favours.

Just one of these super ship catches half the mackerel quota in the uk. That does not leave a lot for the rest. Problem is when mr & mrs public go shoping for a mackerel supper, looking at the stuff in nearly all the supermarkets, i would not feed it to a cat let alone eat it. So these super ships are not doing uk public any favours.

Hello Barry

I doubt that any mackerel from a super trawler end up on a wet fish counter of a super market, the tinned fish shelf would be a safer bet, hand line caught mackerel are more likely to be sold at the wet fish counter, the problem is mackerel even hand line caught deteriorate very quickly especially if not gutted .

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hi Clicker,

Of course they cannot legally sell that fish, shame on them if they do, they deserve the full weight of the law.

Would you say record all fish that is landed by charter, if so the only real cod fishing showing for the rsa at present appears to be the north sea. If so compared with the rest of the uk, this is only a tiny amount of the total fish caught.

Hi Barry yes all fish should be recorded I would say, and going by websites on the web its a considerable amount of fish. Whitby is only an example that I used because its well advertised but at the end of the day its only one port that cod are targeted even here in a tiny harbour anglers fish night and day to catch the codfish that everybody wants to catch.

How much charters vessels are there?

How much harbours and hot spots are there where anglers fish regular?

How much cod are taken from these vessels and hotspots?

All questions the fishery departments must be looking at in the future and I would certainly agree with them it must be a considerable amount but untill we find out we will never know.

Salmon used to be netted all around the coasts and coastal stations had to record catches and with river boards each fish is now recored if caught or returned with weight given.Now anglers catch the most fish and is a multi million pound industry for areas around the country.Surely this should happen with cod.

Charter vessels that keep the fish anglers catch and are not licenced to sell them are doing as much damage to the stocks as a commercial boat wether it one fish or a ton if its landed illegally they are breaking the law and should be reported to nearest fishery office.

Caught 2 small codling today on a sprool rig very small fish and very thin had a nice ling and small lemon sole on bait all returned

good hunting

Charter vessels have loans to service and expenses also, its only on a smaller scale they still need to catch fish so should be regulated and licenced to catch fish.

good hunting

Hi Ken - Like I said all is not as clear as it should be,

I find the culture in here somewhat strange

Lets all slag off Charter anglers at Whitby - Why ?. In a recent trawl of the internet I find similar reports for anglers fishing from all the north east ports.

Hartlepool for example :

Why do these posts end up being about Whitby ?

Maybe people with axes to grind are still grinding them. Its as clear as the nose in the middle of your face.

sorry glennk did not mean to single out Whitby I was just useing it as an example for the amount of cod that are landed in the port, as long as it recorded and the vessel and skipper are licenced and registered to sell the catch. I have no problem with the amount of fish thay catch as long it is within the rules and quotas allocated to them.

good hunting

How vast compared to the average day on Peter Head market?

Do I sense a wined up here?

Or are you just bitter because anglers can land more than you can legally.

My quota equates to about 12 fish a month, now to stay with in the law I have to throw good quality cod, often fish of 10 to 15 LB over the side, at a time when there are more and more cod showing on the grounds. I also see anglers coming a shore with treble my monthly quota for a days sport.

It's not the anglers I'm mad at but the Dick Heads in London for swapping my cod quota for whightings to be used as by catches in a prawn fishery 300 miles away and putting me on such a unrealistic and unnecessary quota.

but they still need to be protected and if that means zero catches so be it .

Please explain how this is possible? do you mean zero catches or zero landings?

Hi, not bitter, fact is though as you stated anglers can land much more than I can land legally and thats why we need to get catches recorded, our quota is 100 kg per month per boat not worth us landing.Anglers now are in a possition where we need to address the issue of cod and the dick heads you talk about will enforce the powers they will have on the cod fishery in the future.I hope this is good for all anglers and fishermen that fish for pleasure or profit.

If it means zero catches I am all for it, the marine labs are the people that the goverment take advise from .Quotas will be based on the evidence produced and we will suffer unless SSB is increased.At the moment there is not a trawl or net that cannot catch cod at sometime of the year although this is trying to be developed by seafish and various people that will include escape panels ect.

Zero landing we have with many commercials at the moment, incuding yourself and many other vessels as stated earlier cannot land any cod because of quota.Its just not worth the largest part of commercials to land cod with many skipper choosing to avoid areas that cod are in abundance.This does not stop cod being caught though,and returned dead into the sea. Thats the system we are in with no easy answer so who knows ARE COD IN DANGER? PERSONALLY I can,t believe it although they need restrictions and regulation to protect them for the forseeable future in all sectors.

good hunting