Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

Hi, not bitter, fact is though as you stated anglers can land much more than I can land legally and thats why we need to get catches recorded, our quota is 100 kg per month per boat not worth us landing.Anglers now are in a possition where we need to address the issue of cod and the dick heads you talk about will enforce the powers they will have on the cod fishery in the future.I hope this is good for all anglers and fishermen that fish for pleasure or profit.

If it means zero catches I am all for it, the marine labs are the people that the goverment take advise from .Quotas will be based on the evidence produced and we will suffer unless SSB is increased.At the moment there is not a trawl or net that cannot catch cod at sometime of the year although this is trying to be developed by seafish and various people that will include escape panels ect.

Zero landing we have with many commercials at the moment, incuding yourself and many other vessels as stated earlier cannot land any cod because of quota.Its just not worth the largest part of commercials to land cod with many skipper choosing to avoid areas that cod are in abundance.This does not stop cod being caught though,and returned dead into the sea. Thats the system we are in with no easy answer so who knows ARE COD IN DANGER? PERSONALLY I can,t believe it although they need restrictions and regulation to protect them for the forseeable future in all sectors.

good hunting

sorry concerning how vast compaired to Peterhead market don,t know ,but if charter vessels and anglers have to be registered or licenced peterhead market would not hold the catches I am sure of that.Untill we all are made accountable we will not know.

regards

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry concerning how vast compaired to Peterhead market don,t know ,but if charter vessels and anglers have to be registered or licenced peterhead market would not hold the catches I am sure of that.Untill we all are made accountable we will not know.

regards

Morning clicker

Peter head market would not hold the catches? is that per day or all anglers catches for the week or maybe for the year?

I should imagine Peterhead market could hold all the anglers catches plus the under ten meter weeks catch quite easily and I mean the under tens catches if they were on unregulated fishing.

The only thing that needs to manage a stock down to the level you are talking about are the managers, the cod defiantly don't and with your suggestions you are playing straight into the "need to manage brigade” hands, they'll listen to you because they know there is lots of mileage in it for them.

I think you are mistaken if you think it will make a noticeable difference to the overall cod stock..

I fish to live and live to fish.

Morning clicker

Peter head market would not hold the catches? is that per day or all anglers catches for the week or maybe for the year?

I should imagine Peterhead market could hold all the anglers catches plus the under ten meter weeks catch quite easily and I mean the under tens catches if they were on unregulated fishing.

The only thing that needs to manage a stock down to the level you are talking about are the managers, the cod defiantly don't and with your suggestions you are playing straight into the "need to manage brigade” hands, they'll listen to you because they know there is lots of mileage in it for them.

I think you are mistaken if you think it will make a noticeable difference to the overall cod stock..

The fact remains that we do not know the amount of cod that are landed by us anglers and charter vessels,why can,t we help to get the information and regulation with enforcement to catch the fish to get this the catch data.If there is nothing to hide anglers should not have a problem with licenceing and reporting of catches.

The overall stock will get better in the future with half the commercial fleet now decommed and the other half not able to land any.Do you think commercials catch cod to dump? commercials trawlers

are now more considerate to cod than any sector.They will steam many miles from areas where cod are present, would charter vessels do this ? of course not because they rely on the cod catches, commercials do not.

As for Peterhead market its is a shaddow of the place it was and with 35 fishery officers for about the same amount of boats is very strictly regulated. Every vessel with more than 1 ton of cod providing they have quota to land them, must report in to Edinburgh 4 hours before they land, there are more cod being landed by anglers on a daily catch with no restrictions caught by unlicenced commercial fishing charter boats. There is a need to manage stocks caught by charter vessels, any angler looking at sites with catches of 1400 klo thats a ton and a half should support some sort of regulation.Charter vessels also because if you are chartering legally you have nothing to worry about.

Overall cod stock is increaseing fishing vessels see it with fish returning to ground at certain times of year.Charter vessels are reporting good catches and anglers are catching cod around the coast in inshore areas.marine labs also report slight and HIGHLIGHT SLIGHT increase of SSB, this is encourageing for us all but still well short of recommended levels this is why they still recommed zero catches of cod for 2008.

I think as cod catchers we all need to help provide data of catches, landings, of fish returned to run a well managed fishery giving every stakeholder a share of a fishery that needs protection in the future.

regards

good hunting

Your quite correct about Whitby and I saw this coming several months ago.

But bottom line the Altair cheated the system and were caught, can you honestly state that they are the only ones doing it?

Altair broke the law and were punished for it and so will others be in the future that break regulations.

About Whitby there is a big issue that needs to be addressed after looking into sites run by Whitby charters, I find 17 charter vessels and don,t see any of them as registered fishing boats.

They have no right to keep your catches for resale and are not allowed to sell fish for profit unless a registered fishing vessel. To identify a registered fishing vessel see earlyier post.

good hunting

Altair broke the law and were punished for it and so will others be in the future that break regulations.

About Whitby there is a big issue that needs to be addressed after looking into sites run by Whitby charters, I find 17 charter vessels and don,t see any of them as registered fishing boats.

They have no right to keep your catches for resale and are not allowed to sell fish for profit unless a registered fishing vessel. To identify a registered fishing vessel see earlyier post.

good hunting

Hi Clicker, you keep saying that there is a huge problem with unlicenced charter vessels selling fish. Does it go on, if so to what extent as the only way they could possibly sell would be through the back door. Do you see it going on? I don't think the boats based at whitby would be very happy, Have you had some form of concrete evidence that this is in fact happening. Or is this a percieved problem.

In over thirty years up and down the channel i have never seen a boat do this, nor have i seen a rsa selling his fish.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Clicker, you keep saying that there is a huge problem with unlicenced charter vessels selling fish. Does it go on, if so to what extent as the only way they could possibly sell would be through the back door. Do you see it going on? I don't think the boats based at whitby would be very happy, Have you had some form of concrete evidence that this is in fact happening. Or is this a percieved problem.

In over thirty years up and down the channel i have never seen a boat do this, nor have i seen a rsa selling his fish.

I am not saying there is a huge problem with unlicenced vessels but there is a problem, I am saying they don,t have anything to worry about if new regulations come to be inforced.I do wonder though about the amount

of fish they catch and what happens to it afterwards? Are all anglers permitted to take home the fish they catch on charter, I certainly have been told no in the past. Only once yes, but only goes to highlight a problem that does exsist.

I mean no harm to charter vessels at Whitby I just am concerened about the amount of undeclared fish that all charter vessels catch. These fish should be reported in the same way as other fisheries.

regards

I mean no harm to charter vessels at Whitby I just am concerened about the amount of undeclared fish that all charter vessels catch. These fish should be reported in the same way as other fisheries.

regards

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...20040917-en.pdf

EU regulation 1639/2001

- amended by Commission Regulation (EC) No 1581/2004 of 27 August 2004 L 289 6 10.9.2004

COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 1639/2001 of 25 July 2001

establishing the minimum and extended Community programmes for the collection of data in the fisheries sector and laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC)

No 1543/2000

(...)

Appendix XI (section E)

List of recreational fisheries stocks (MP)

1. Salmon (marine waters in the Baltic Sea and North Sea):

Catch figures collected in weight and number by:

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2.

2. Bluefin tuna (all areas):

— annual basis,

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2,

— distinguishing catch of fish below and above 10 kg.

3. Cod in areas III, IV, V, VI and VII:

Catch figures collected in weight by:

The conclusions of these surveys must be forwarded to the Commission by 31

March 2007.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Barry

It's not a problem until some body who's job it is to make it one.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Back in the 80's when the fishing was "dip & fill" , i used to see it all the time. One particular story involved 2 people i know very well (rsa) who left 150 stone of cod on Hartlepool quay with a guy who worked in the fish market there and said he'd sell it for them. Oh yea he did......for £1 a stone!!!! Needless to say the 2 anglers were not very pleased when the money came through the post a couple of days later(£150) for 150 stone of prime cod.

And that's not hearsay or conjecture it's true , how do i know ? One of the 2 was my father who's no longer with us.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...20040917-en.pdf

EU regulation 1639/2001

- amended by Commission Regulation (EC) No 1581/2004 of 27 August 2004 L 289 6 10.9.2004

COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 1639/2001 of 25 July 2001

establishing the minimum and extended Community programmes for the collection of data in the fisheries sector and laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC)

No 1543/2000

(...)

Appendix XI (section E)

List of recreational fisheries stocks (MP)

1. Salmon (marine waters in the Baltic Sea and North Sea):

2. Bluefin tuna (all areas):

— annual basis,

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2,

— distinguishing catch of fish below and above 10 kg.

3. Cod in areas III, IV, V, VI and VII:

Catch figures collected in weight by:

The conclusions of these surveys must be forwarded to the Commission by 31

March 2007.

[/quote

Err, you don't really expect us errm to acutally read all that link do you Leon. Please just tell me if it affects us and i will take it as read thanks. Cheers Leon. Thanks mate. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..