Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

The program wont show what its really like it will show what they want to be seen as.

Its called propoganda and the comercial spin factory is full of it.

I dont suppose it will show them fiddling quotas or dumping tons of dead fish back.

Your fish and chip supper comes from abroad.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fell for that one.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
The program wont show what its really like it will show what they want to be seen as.

Its called propoganda and the comercial spin factory is full of it.

I dont suppose it will show them fiddling quotas or dumping tons of dead fish back.

Did you watch the first series? I don’t think so.

Try making a constructive comment when you have at least watched something and hopefully learned something. For you to describe something as being biased and a political propaganda programme before you have even seen it makes me wonder at times?

Are you saying (if you’re saying anything at all that is) that some commercial spin doctor sponsored by the commercial fishing industry commissioned the BBC to do this programme?

Snigger :D Keep popping away though Barry ;)

Yes i think you get me drift. Excuse the pun. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Did you watch the first series? I don’t think so.

Try making a constructive comment when you have at least watched something and hopefully learned something. For you to describe something as being biased and a political propaganda programme before you have even seen it makes me wonder at times?

Are you saying (if you’re saying anything at all that is) that some commercial spin doctor sponsored by the commercial fishing industry commissioned the BBC to do this programme?

Do the BBC crew filming get to see Death, blood and destruction? Does the BBC director

call the shots or the Boats Skipper. Camara on (suns out, some fish coming in) better get

below because the weather is turning and your safety is paramount, we are big and brave

and shall endeavor on deck LOL!

I bet the editor back in London is well Kissed off.

A bit like the BBC & Channel 4 attempts to film in China B) Know what i mean? :D

1509tarpon_75_.gif

In reply to MustGoFishing.

All fishing vessels are restricted by quota allocations whatever their size. The way these allocations are handled do vary between over 10metres and under 10 . Most over 10 fish from 'pools' that consist of members own fish which is the track record attached to each boat which varies between species and weight. All this fish is 'pooled' and then shared equally between the members vessels. Some boats catch more of one specie than others so from month to month there are rises or decreases in allocation.

For the under 10 Defra or now known as the MFA control the quota. Until recently there has been many occasions other than sole where the boats have had monthly allowances but as many over 10 owners have deccomissioned or sold up and then had massive under 10's built with oftengreater catching efficiency than their previous boat. Along with quota cuts this has led to greater pressure onthe under 10 fish pool and many species being given monthly limits i.e. cod,pollack.sole etc.

As you say 50kgs is not lot and many tons of cod were dumped by <10's this winter from my home port. The MFA has recently allowed the leasing of fish for<10's but will review this for next year. Allow having to pay upto 60p a kilo for cod it beats throwing them back.

Now we move onto your other concern of wreck fishing during spawnng months. 95% of the Pollack I catch in gill nets are 6lbs and over , this makes them around 6-7 years old I believe but feel free to correct me. The other 5 % are never below 4lb. These fishhave had 3-4 breeding years whereas the small 2-3lb pollack which are being heavily targeted by 6 charter boats consisting of upto 50 people have never spawned. This past weekend alone there was 2 tons of pollack landed by anglers which also has an effect on quota . Got to go but look forward to your reply

Are Cod a endangered species?

Why are commercial fishermen and anglers catching so much cod?

Could the marine labs be wrong?

Is decommisioning of vessels working?

Should charter vessels have days at sea limits?

Should all cod be returned caught by chartered vessels?

Trawler men returns to our screens on the 18 JUNE and I recommend you watch it after talking to

skippers of Amity and Renown its going to be better viewing than the last time.

Since "No" is the only choice you offered on your poll, the results probably won't be very accurate.

sorry about choice on the poll it wasn't ment!

:bangin::lol::lol::lol:

The tide turns at high water as well as at low captain

E's a closet commercial.

You think! is that all you have to say on subject?

1 very simple fact to remember.

Anglers and commercials are catching "Mostly" smaller fish - admittedly there is better fish amongst it. There is a large and significant increase in fish of the size of your little finger up to the 5 lb mark.

The scientists responsible for fisheries research measure the amount of "Spawning Stock Biomass" ie the "bigger fish" and according to them there isn't enough of these to sustain a species longterm.

So in respect of this it is impossible to answer your pole as both parties are right. There is a large increase in smaller fish as reported by anglers and commercial. The local cefas surveys support this so infact some scientists are saying cod has increased.

see : http://www.cefas.co.uk/media/40265/fsp2006...finalreport.pdf

But there is no increase in the size of fish ICES want to see.

Everyone is right.

Cod in markets here are showing a very mixed even sizes of cod but of course this is only on the fish fishermen land and that tends to be the larger sizes with quota restrictions in force at the moment.

Hi Commercial Licker. The sooner commercial fishermen are an endangered species the better. BTW this is an angling forum.

and I am a angler, gannets are greedy and want every fish for themselves try diving with a stone round your neck next time.

Hello Clicker,

Not sure you will get too many logical answers to your questions, seeing as prejudice never shows much reason. Anyway, good luck with your poll. Incidentally, with a name like that, do you originate from Staithes?

JB

Staithes no and no prejudice here

Seems to me six daft questions by someone who maybe has a narrow view of the overall picture. Why are 2.5 of these questions aimed at anglers when anyone with a basic understanding of fisheries knows that the damage to stocks is done by powerful trawlers wether working the ground or hammerine food fish such as sandeels.

Clicker who are you?

questions are aimed to get a responce to a cod recovery plan that has been in force for many years now. With signs that cod are returning to inshore waters along our coasts ,surely this is encouraging

for us anglers. I think we as anglers should return all cod we catch for the moment anyway.

Why would any sane person want to watch a program about comercial fisherman?

They will put any old crap on the telly these days but this is a joke even by there standards.

maybe if the viewing public new what really went on they would turn over and watch something more sensible like the tellytubbys.

viewing was bigger than bigbrother last year bob i will be watching it though.

Its called choice

I must be insane then Bob.. I quite enjoy watching the series :thumbs:

Bob watches Big brother for sure?

It's called knowledge, if you do not know how a commercial operates then you cannot complain as you do not know if they are doing it right or not or within the regs. Then you have to use your brain to decide what you are watching is fact or bullshine. Personally i find programes like that interesting, but who knows, it might be me thats odd. This topic appears to be going political.

I agree with Glennk, i would also like to see something done about the small size of cod, raise the mls to a realistic size?

Min landing size is 35cm to small I would say.

I enjoy waching it too some of the characters are very entertaining. My only critisism would be it doesnt show many of the "bad bits"but like Barry says its knowlege and it makes more people aware of the industry that affects anglers so much.

The filming this time was done in some very bad weather according to skippers Clem should make it very interesting.

In reply to MustGoFishing.

All fishing vessels are restricted by quota allocations whatever their size. The way these allocations are handled do vary between over 10metres and under 10 . Most over 10 fish from 'pools' that consist of members own fish which is the track record attached to each boat which varies between species and weight. All this fish is 'pooled' and then shared equally between the members vessels. Some boats catch more of one specie than others so from month to month there are rises or decreases in allocation.

For the under 10 Defra or now known as the MFA control the quota. Until recently there has been many occasions other than sole where the boats have had monthly allowances but as many over 10 owners have deccomissioned or sold up and then had massive under 10's built with oftengreater catching efficiency than their previous boat. Along with quota cuts this has led to greater pressure onthe under 10 fish pool and many species being given monthly limits i.e. cod,pollack.sole etc.

As you say 50kgs is not lot and many tons of cod were dumped by <10's this winter from my home port. The MFA has recently allowed the leasing of fish for<10's but will review this for next year. Allow having to pay upto 60p a kilo for cod it beats throwing them back.

Now we move onto your other concern of wreck fishing during spawnng months. 95% of the Pollack I catch in gill nets are 6lbs and over , this makes them around 6-7 years old I believe but feel free to correct me. The other 5 % are never below 4lb. These fishhave had 3-4 breeding years whereas the small 2-3lb pollack which are being heavily targeted by 6 charter boats consisting of upto 50 people have never spawned. This past weekend alone there was 2 tons of pollack landed by anglers which also has an effect on quota . Got to go but look forward to your reply

Hi Cornishman,

You are spot on about the under 10's rule beaters and MFA,

With regard spawning fish and quotas, I except we all need to earn a living and for the netters the Pollock is there bread and butter money during the winter and I respect to the guys who battle the weather to retrieve there gear daily, But MFA and the marine scientists are always discussing fish stocks, common sense would say to increase future stocks, on any fish, would be put a quota on the fish during the spawning periods, This would improve the prices on the quay, and improve our stocks for future generations.

Saying that if you take 2 fish off a wreck today you can't expect them to be there tomorrow! (chicken and the egg)

Anyway how's fishing!

look forward to your reply.

MustGoFishing

I must go fishing, And Live the Dream!

Secret Star, Plymouth Charterboat

whereas the small 2-3lb pollack which are being heavily targeted by 6 charter boats consisting of upto 50 people have never spawned. This past weekend alone there was 2 tons of pollack landed by anglers which also has an effect on quota . Got to go but look forward to your reply

Hi Cornishman thanks for your post. The only part of it i have doubts with is what i have left in.

I don't know what charter boats you are refering to but no experianced skipper would stay on a wreck that was producing that stamp of fish. It would not be good for the guys and it certainly would not be good for repeat business. It is much the same as bassing, no rsa wants to hang around areas where the stamp of the bass are below breeding size, no point.

If there was two ton landed by the rsa, did the six boats fillet it before landing or was it just gutted,did you stand there and watch all the boats land it? how did you know? Please confirm the stamp of the fish that was landed by the rsa was it 2-3lb fish, if so that must have been a heck of a lot of fish, they must have been shovelling it off the boats.