Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

Hi Must go fishing.

Must agree on closing fishing areas in spawning seasons. The trevose box which was lobbied for by fisherman and their representitives has been working resonably well I believe but as with most conservation measures that have been suggested inthe past 20 years we're still talking about them today whilst we still wrestle with the poorly managed and useless quota system.

Not all the fish were that 'stamp' but the majority 80% are 1-2kgs with most of these being closer to 1 kg than 2kg. The problem here is pollack have increased in value over the past 5 years and the charter boats have realised that there ismore money in letting a dozen anglers catch small pollack for themal day than there is shifting from mark to mark trying to find larger fish.

The fish were just gutted and some of the boats are licenced at quite an expense which relly proves their aim.Why spend 15-20 grand on a licence if you have no intension of making money with it.

Two ton of pollack shared between 6 boats is only 330 kgs per boat this is around 400 fish so about 30-40 fish perman , quite realistic on an 8 hr trip.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Sorry Clicker I did not make myself clear when I said the programme did not show bad bits i meant high discards and environmental damage not the weather. Still good TV though.

They showed us them hauling the gear on many occasion and having to make decisions on shooting back or not because they where catching to much fish and not the prawns that they where targeting?

They showed the net coming out of the water and the fish and prawns dropping out of the cod end. When where they suppose to cut out the bad bits?

I have worked in the devils hole prawn fishing with square mesh panels across the belly’s just above the cod ends, you don’t get many bad bits clem, so how could they have showed them or as you suggested edit them?

Correct me if i'm wrong, please do, the cod quota for this year was reached very quickly in the sw during the latter part of the winter. Now at present it is only caught as a limited bycatch.

i'm sure the nffo would be in talks with defra if they felt that, there is more than enough cod to go around and that the spawning biomass has improved. At present no one is saying it has. If this is not correct then i would say that the nffo needs to push harder. At the same time it would also have to be confirmed by they who are monitoring the stocks.

If you was looking at a cod, pollack wreck. Normally the pollack are free swimming around and above the wreck, but the cod would be near the bottom?

Very many rsa practice catch and release, in particular the fish that have not had a chance to breed. Personally i am a wreck junkie, but the amount of trips that i can fit in per year would proberbly be around twenty, that includes the inshore wrecks and reefs where a lot of the fish go back. Also when we target conger and ray, all of those go back. so to include the likes of us in the head count for removal of the stock is not really a viable argument. I would not release a cod from that depth. However it is not often that i would be fishing in that depth.

You are correct Barry, 90% of the Cod quota was up in February and Defra spread out the remaining 10% to 50Kg a month,

And rod and line anglers, professional or not, wouldn’t make a dent on fish stock, I’m not saying scrap all trawlers and netters, it is all supply and demand industry. Like you, all of our Conger go back unless its for the anglers pot (Not nice) or for their fishing club records, Most fish weights are estimated and returned, with all under 40lb are released at the side of the boat,

With regards Pollock’s habits, you do have to work your gear! Pollock can be found from as soon as you gear hit the bottom to 60+ turn of the handle, but that’s fishing! You never know what you’re going to catch!

Wednesday on the reef 4lb 8oz John Dory using a Lance whist targeting Pollock (nice to see)

I must go fishing, And Live the Dream!

Secret Star, Plymouth Charterboat

whilst we still wrestle with the poorly managed and useless quota system.

Not all the fish were that 'stamp' but the majority 80% are 1-2kgs with most of these being closer to 1 kg than 2kg. The problem here is pollack have increased in value over the past 5 years and the charter boats have realised that there ismore money in letting a dozen anglers catch small pollack for themal day than there is shifting from mark to mark trying to find larger fish.

The fish were just gutted and some of the boats are licenced at quite an expense which relly proves their aim.Why spend 15-20 grand on a licence if you have no intension of making money with it.

Two ton of pollack shared between 6 boats is only 330 kgs per boat this is around 400 fish so about 30-40 fish perman , quite realistic on an 8 hr trip.

I think there is some confusion here. Please excuse me cornishman but confirm that you are refering to licenced charter boats where the skipper is entitled to sell what is caught. If the answer is yes then this is where i have misunderstood your post.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

They showed us them hauling the gear on many occasion and having to make decisions on shooting back or not because they where catching to much fish and not the prawns that they where targeting?

They showed the net coming out of the water and the fish and prawns dropping out of the cod end. When where they suppose to cut out the bad bits?

I have worked in the devils hole prawn fishing with square mesh panels across the belly’s just above the cod ends, you don’t get many bad bits clem, so how could they have showed them or as you suggested edit them?

Hi challenge the trawlermen shows in reality the working of a trawler and the dangers that go with it. I think the next trawlermen 2 will make better viewing than the last one with bigger viewing figures for the bbc. This can only help put fish on the menus in homes in the uk and hopefully the public on the fishermens sides as for cod and pollock leave them to the south side of the border and I,LL TAKE THE HADDOCK AND LANGUSTEEN or prawn.

clicker

Hiya,

I couldnt tell you if they are licensed or not, as they were boats from the South coast, I'm in Scotland.

The boat I was on, belongs to Ian Burrett,

http://www.seafishingscotland.co.uk/

who does not allow inshore Pollock to be taken for the pot.

As Ian says on his website, if you want to fish for the pot, please go elsewhere...this, I and the anglers who fish with him, totally respect, though, there is the occasional casualty, like the one we had. That was the first Pollock I have seen killed on any of Ians boats , in years of angling with him...:):)

I dont know Jimmy Buchan, as such, seen him in the pub, at the Broch, and Peterhead,years ago, before he became "famous", when he was just a hard working Fisherman !! :) and had a pint or two with him, and his mates, nowadays, just had a few Emails sent between us, a real good lad , as I have said.:):)

Jimmy and myself are directors of the scottish fishermens organisation and both of us like many fishermen see cod stocks improveing and lets face it the cod quota for sfo vessels fishing

this year is 250 klo per month. If you land them it will probably mean you will get less days at sea next year this means scottish vessels would rather or can,t land cod. As for the charter vessels if licenced they are under quota also, but unregistered vessels and anglers need to be restricted on the

amount of fish they can take ashore. Regulation for charter skippers that are respectable skippers would in my view keep their fisherys in a healthy state for the future.

In all fisherys including angling there are individuals that need restrictions to be inforced.

One vessel in the sfo can catch the total Sfo quota in a few weeks and it is only with tight regulation and compliance by responsable fishermen that hoprfully the fishery will remain open for the year.

Do you think all cod should returned once uk quota for the year has been taken? I think they should regardless for the condition or state of the struggle,commercial fishers have to do it so should charter vessels in my view wether licenced or not.

fishing Mohr Head today 6 cod and 2 ling really close to shore in 6 fdm water all fish returned

no sign of pollock yet though trying mackerel tommorow.

Seems to me six daft questions by someone who maybe has a narrow view of the overall picture. Why are 2.5 of these questions aimed at anglers when anyone with a basic understanding of fisheries knows that the damage to stocks is done by powerful trawlers wether working the ground or hammerine food fish such as sandeels.

Clicker who are you?

[/quote

Thanks for reply Clem I have a basic narow view having been a river and sea angler for 35 years.

Started the sea at 16 fishing salmon bag nets and crew on pelagic purse net and pair trawl vessels till I was 19 fishing west coast and Falmouth and Plymouth those were great times.

Bought my first prawn vessel at 19 skippered for 25 years and built 3 twin rig vessels one of the first in the UK TRYED TO BAN IT BUT hector Munro wouldn,t do it,ex fisherys minister.

Came ashore and started a net factory in 2000 supplying nets like Jimmy Buchans for catching prawns

queenies white fish and squid or anything that you would require to catch.

I am a director and chairman of the fraserburgh branch of the Scottish fishermens organisation

and harbour master at Gardenstown Harbour.

Just launched a new vessel for my angling trips and recently threw Malcolm Maclaren out of our village see The Baron ITV1 probably JULY

I also am involved with seafish at hull developing escape panels for cod in commercial gear along with the marine lab in Aberdeen making and suppling nets to help to conserve cod. At the moment we are trying to develope a net that won't catch cod, we believe this is possible.

Still part own 4 commercial vessels fishing prawn and relieve skippers when needed.

ANGLING GIVES ME THE GREATEST THRILL THOUGH

My first thrill came when I was taking my skipper ticket went fishing to get rid of stress and caught 2 salmon on river Deveron at Stobbie Haugh Fishing 10 and 14 lbs. Can,t go anywhere without rods last year went to Barbados and chartered vessel and caught lovely king fish what a fight that was.

Six daft questions I don't think so, all catchers of Cod need to continue to look after what we have left in the sea and allow the stock to recover as it is doing at the moment.

I would say that I have basic understanding and a narow view of the overall picture right enough ,and would agree with the damage done to Cod from all catchers of Cod including trawlers, netters, potters,liners,and of course anglers. Times have changed though and commercials don,t want to catch COD and anglers do!

regardS CLICKER

I respect your experience Clicker I just thought someone had just come on to stir things up. :D

It was your suggestion that charter boats have their days at sea restricted that made me wonder as (down the east coast anyway) they already are restricted by the weather and lack of anglers. I know of one charter vessel thats only been out twice this year through a combination of those 2 things. In bad weather they can be tied up for 6 weeks at a stretch.

As for returning the cod then many , many cod are been returned but if this was made compulsary then it really would be the death of the east coast charter fleet. :(

Your experience must also tell you that there would be no effect on the stock if this happened.

CHEERS, Clem.

Edited by clem

Barry - I would suspect the cornish charterboats are commercially licensed to provide an income in winter when they don't get many tourists, much the same as most of the CI charter boats.

As to angers decimating stocks, they do have an effect. We now have 2 or 3 boats rod&line wrecking over here, targetting pollack for the french market. They're landing 150-300kg of gutted pollack per rod per day most days. I know of at least one wreck that's been 'cleaned out' this summer already. Pollack quotas for <10m were raised to 7 tonnes per month earlier in the year to compensate for the lack of cod quota, however they're now back down to 3 tonnes. Cod will be 50kg per month for the rest of the year I guess, and there may even be a full closure of the fishery. By the way, a mate and I had a box of cod the sunday before last - that's half the monthly quota for an <10m boat! - Oh, the average size is not increasing here, 'cos they were all <10lb. Certainly a charterboat can land more in a day than a commercial boat, and that is where the whole licensing system is screwed up.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com