• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#261 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Could have been worse Rusty - you could have watched your favourite spro rod and shimano reel sink to the depths before your eyes the day before the fish-in like me!

That's true, I would've found that a bit upsetting. Mind you, you do have a good track record of recovering lost tackle from the depths so you may be reunited yet. Does your fishfinder have GPS?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

#262 Anderoo

Anderoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

That's true, I would've found that a bit upsetting. Mind you, you do have a good track record of recovering lost tackle from the depths so you may be reunited yet. Does your fishfinder have GPS?

No, but as soon as it went in I dropped an h block marker on the spot, and it was only 15ft deep - but even so, after an hour of dragging heavy lures all over the area we couldn't snag it!

I once dropped the top of my landing net into the thames, right by the bank and in shallow water. I did get it back eventually but it took ages. It's amazing how hard it can be to snag tackle even if you know where it is.

I've got replacements on the way so no harm done :) I've told the lodge at Rutland just in case someone does drag it up and decides to see if it's been reported as lost but I think it'll be there forever now!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

#263 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

A few pics below.

Double hook-up for Rob and Dave:

IMG_3608_zpsjkdcz5my.jpg

A nice handful:

IMG_3610_zpseudi4h8z.jpg

Flat calm all day!

IMG_3607.jpg

Just added the one you sent me AndrewIMG_3611_zpszgwkfjoq.jpg

Edited by Tigger, 13 October 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#264 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Bit of video;

#265 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Go to 6:10 for one of those bites where the line goes slack on the drop;

https://youtu.be/iurEaro7Dwo?t=6m10s

#266 Anderoo

Anderoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

Donk!
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

#267 Errrm

Errrm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

Go to 6:10 for one of those bites where the line goes slack on the drop;https://youtu.be/iurEaro7Dwo?t=6m10s

In two trips I haven't even noticed a bite like this, all mine have been tugs. This leads me to believe I might be missing the bites!

Will need to watch out for this next time

#268 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

I had quite a few fish to those, once you get your eye in they're really obvious.

#269 Anderoo

Anderoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

Those are nice bites, it just feels like the lure has touched down on the bottom sooner than it should have. It does depoend a bit on how you work the lure whether you get them or not though, the bigger the jig and drop, the more likely you are to get them. If you work the lure less and don't do much lifting and dropping, you're more likely to get other types of bites.

I guess the equivalent when 'dead sticking' (or just giving the lure an occasional twitch) is when it just goes 'light' - there's no rap or donk, you just lose the weight of the lure as a zander picks it up and moves slightly up in the water with it. Those are exciting too :)

A lot of the zander bites can be very subtle, it can take a while to get your eye in woth them, as Steve says. It's worth striking hard at absolutely anything. It takes a lot of effort and concentration to do it properly all day long.