2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Could have been worse Rusty - you could have watched your favourite spro rod and shimano reel sink to the depths before your eyes the day before the fish-in like me!

That's true, I would've found that a bit upsetting. Mind you, you do have a good track record of recovering lost tackle from the depths so you may be reunited yet. Does your fishfinder have GPS?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

That's true, I would've found that a bit upsetting. Mind you, you do have a good track record of recovering lost tackle from the depths so you may be reunited yet. Does your fishfinder have GPS?

No, but as soon as it went in I dropped an h block marker on the spot, and it was only 15ft deep - but even so, after an hour of dragging heavy lures all over the area we couldn't snag it!

I once dropped the top of my landing net into the thames, right by the bank and in shallow water. I did get it back eventually but it took ages. It's amazing how hard it can be to snag tackle even if you know where it is.

I've got replacements on the way so no harm done :) I've told the lodge at Rutland just in case someone does drag it up and decides to see if it's been reported as lost but I think it'll be there forever now!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Those are nice bites, it just feels like the lure has touched down on the bottom sooner than it should have. It does depoend a bit on how you work the lure whether you get them or not though, the bigger the jig and drop, the more likely you are to get them. If you work the lure less and don't do much lifting and dropping, you're more likely to get other types of bites.

I guess the equivalent when 'dead sticking' (or just giving the lure an occasional twitch) is when it just goes 'light' - there's no rap or donk, you just lose the weight of the lure as a zander picks it up and moves slightly up in the water with it. Those are exciting too :)

A lot of the zander bites can be very subtle, it can take a while to get your eye in woth them, as Steve says. It's worth striking hard at absolutely anything. It takes a lot of effort and concentration to do it properly all day long.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music