pike fishing canals

TTmitchy

Guest tigger

No I didn't realise about Barbel etc being stocked in the sanky brook. Are they coming out much or are they rarity? Is it under any club or just turn up and fish? You've certainly got my interest.

Noodle do you know the chap in the photo ? I'm sure I saw him at Rufford boot sale a few weeks back and I'm positive I spoken to him not long before that, I just can't think where or when. It's really buggin me now.

Edited by tigger

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the cats get caught in th cold lengths i have a photo of one of the cats somewhere.

Channel catfish like that fine fellow (3-5 lbs probably) in the photo can easily survive the UK water temps.

Their growth rate will be slower than it is over here and I am not sure they will reproduce in the cooler water but they thrive in parts of Canada where the rivers & lakes are frozen over for months during the winter but where the water warms up nicely during the summer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No I didn't realise about Barbel etc being stocked in the sanky brook. Are they coming out much or are they rarity? Is it under any club or just turn up and fish? You've certainly got my interest.

Noodle do you know the chap in the photo ? I'm sure I saw him at Rufford boot sale a few weeks back and I'm positive I spoken to him not long before that, I just can't think where or when. It's really buggin me now.

no idea who the bloke is i know he fishes the matches they have on the canal.

the barbel are more of a rarity then the chub on the sanky (if you like perch and roach your in for a treat) i know that newton aa have some of the sanky but which areas i hav'nt a clue sorry sufice to say i have fishe quite a lot of it down to warrington from the locks at haydock, along with some of the other streams that feed it and never been asked once for a card.

just to put a little more wow factor a few years ago (three i think may be wrong) a salmon turned up in the brook that flows through parr into the sanky

Believe it!!!!!! I bled for about an hour after getting nipped by just one tooth while unhooking a 9 pounder at Wierwood Reservoir. If you've never unhooked a pike before then go with someone who knows what they're doing. Strongly suggest you use barbless hooks. This link might help http://www.pacgb.co.uk/video/piking90s.htm

Thanks Royboy!! You bled for a whole hour!! Man, that's like 10 or even 100 years isn't it!! I think I know one guy who I can ask to take me pike fishing but I think I'll get him to unhook my pike for me. I might get a nasty cut, like you. I think he's an expert or something. He's got 3 rods and he even uses alarms but I don't think he uses them to get up in the morning. Thanks for the link. That site's amazing. I didn't know so many people went pike fishing. There's like millions of them and some are even women. It's mad. I don't know about these barbless hooks though. Wouldn't the fish just fall off? That just seems silly.

sorry mate. I just had to.... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

just being a little sarcastic andy ? :D

im a little concerend about something. anyone can go and catch pike but we all know theres more involved than just "Catching Pike" for someone to say they have never fished for pike before then telling them how to catch them seems a bit wrong.

no one has bothered to ask mitchy if he has rods and tackle up to the task as he has said he has only done coarse fishing which leads me to believe his rods and reels will be to light for pike tackle never mind a pike

so mitchy what tackle are you going to be using to catch these pike you have never caught before ? im not being cheeky or anything i just think its a very important question.

after the tackle, learn unhooking methods dont use gags or gloves.

learn what rig setups there are and what you think might be best for the canal. might be too much weed in your canal like my canal when i tried a simple running ledger the baits would be coated in weed so i tied a little pop up ball to one of the trebles and voila

dont go out half cocked think good and hard before you leave, me n andy did and forgot our weights.

hats off to the other pikers on the loch somewhere in scotland under some clouds near some trees. if you are those guys and know where im talking about cheers lads you saved the day :D goes to show we all have a little noddy inside

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks Royboy!! You bled for a whole hour!! Man, that's like 10 or even 100 years isn't it!! I think I know one guy who I can ask to take me pike fishing but I think I'll get him to unhook my pike for me. I might get a nasty cut, like you. I think he's an expert or something. He's got 3 rods and he even uses alarms but I don't think he uses them to get up in the morning. Thanks for the link. That site's amazing. I didn't know so many people went pike fishing. There's like millions of them and some are even women. It's mad. I don't know about these barbless hooks though. Wouldn't the fish just fall off? That just seems silly.

sorry mate. I just had to.... :)

I should have said I bled incessantly. Rod bag covered in blood and all this from one tooth which left a scar. If it was a girlie scratch I wouldn't have mentioned it.

You're right but I think the others are right about the old wives tale thing. You'd imagine that the pike, that has been studied as much as it has it, would have some proper evidence, relating to it's supposed anti-coagulants. Science can tell you that pike have been around for 200 million years, because fossils say so. They can tell you all about its speed, its hearing, its lateral line, its eyesight and even its neuromast system but they don't know anything about it's spit.

I've had a fair share of cuts that seem to bleed all day but I can't believe it's got anything to do with saliva. Why would a pike need saliva in the first place and what is it's delivery system? What's it for, bringing down it's prey? Hmmmm....Take something like a snake. To get even a tiny drop of venom into it's prey, it has to use a powerful set of muscles, to push venom, which has to be manufactured remember, along a tube and out through it's fang, which acts just as a hypodermic syringe. If successful, it takes the merest drip to bring down it's target. That doesn't sound very random. That sounds like millions of years of evolution have taken place. That's on dry land as well! A pike though, that just has saliva all over it's teeth and it lives in water. That doesn't sound like 200 million years of evolution. That sounds like something the old crazy man in the village would say. I'm not having it.

I reckon a scalpel-like cut on cold, wet, slime-covered hands, will simply bleed for a bit. That little cut has to clot, a process that probably isn't helped by cold, water or slime. I don't believe I'm going to walk about for a bit, keel over possibly hours later through blood loss and then be eaten by a totally different pike some miles away....lol Why would pike injure a fish so its competitor can eat it?

It doesn't make sense. Evolution would have sorted that right out, pronto.

God, I hope I'm right about this.... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

You're right but I think the others are right about the old wives tale thing. You'd imagine that the pike, that has been studied as much as it has it, would have some proper evidence, relating to it's supposed anti-coagulants. Science can tell you that pike have been around for 200 million years, because fossils say so. They can tell you all about its speed, its hearing, its lateral line, its eyesight and even its neuromast system but they don't know anything about it's spit.

I've had a fair share of cuts that seem to bleed all day but I can't believe it's got anything to do with saliva. Why would a pike need saliva in the first place and what is it's delivery system? What's it for, bringing down it's prey? Hmmmm....Take something like a snake. To get even a tiny drop of venom into it's prey, it has to use a powerful set of muscles, to push venom, which has to be manufactured remember, along a tube and out through it's fang, which acts just as a hypodermic syringe. If successful, it takes the merest drip to bring down it's target. That doesn't sound very random. That sounds like millions of years of evolution have taken place. That's on dry land as well! A pike though, that just has saliva all over it's teeth and it lives in water. That doesn't sound like 200 million years of evolution. That sounds like something the old crazy man in the village would say. I'm not having it.

I reckon a scalpel-like cut on cold, wet, slime-covered hands, will simply bleed for a bit. That little cut has to clot, a process that probably isn't helped by cold, water or slime. I don't believe I'm going to walk about for a bit, keel over possibly hours later through blood loss and then be eaten by a totally different pike some miles away....lol Why would pike injure a fish so its competitor can eat it?

It doesn't make sense. Evolution would have sorted that right out, pronto.

God, I hope I'm right about this.... ;)

I understand that it's used as a back up system. If the pike doesn't make a direct hit and the fish gets away it can follow the blood flow from its prey. That does makes sense.

When this part of the thread came up, I googled for an answer. This is because I well remember the first pike I caught 'nipping' me, ( I still have a small scar), and as far as I remember, (it is 40 odd years ago, I was about 12 yrs old), I didn't bleed for long.

Among the many papers I read was one referring to the two types of mucous glands in the oesophagus and gut of pike. These are said to help with digestion, regulate acid, and help the passage of undigested items on the way to the rectum, among other uses. It didn't say if this had anticoagulant properties, but I wonder if it's possible for this to be expelled into the mouth of a pike on occasions, (maybe on a hook or bait), and be the cause of the anticoagulant stories.

Just a thought.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I understand that it's used as a back up system. If the pike doesn't make a direct hit and the fish gets away it can follow the blood flow from its prey. That does makes sense.

No it doesn't. Why would you chase something around, expending valuable energy in the process, just to follow it until a quicker or better or just a greedy opportunistic pike comes along and eats it in front of you? It's not refined enough for my liking. It's too hit and miss for something as well designed as a pike. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I'm very sceptical about the whole idea.

When this part of the thread came up, I googled for an answer. This is because I well remember the first pike I caught 'nipping' me, ( I still have a small scar), and as far as I remember, (it is 40 odd years ago, I was about 12 yrs old), I didn't bleed for long.

Among the many papers I read was one referring to the two types of mucous glands in the oesophagus and gut of pike. These are said to help with digestion, regulate acid, and help the passage of undigested items on the way to the rectum, among other uses. It didn't say if this had anticoagulant properties, but I wonder if it's possible for this to be expelled into the mouth of a pike on occasions, (maybe on a hook or bait), and be the cause of the anticoagulant stories.

Just a thought.

John.

Very possible but you have to admit, you didn't find any proof of anti-coagulants. Your theory makes far more sense to me. It's certainly more plausible.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...