Pike matches, good or bad?

Peter Waller

Interesting read Budgie and I'm sure a lot of that is true

I was just making the point that it's the possibilty of, like you say a run being the chance of being that fish of a lifetime so anglers just leaving things too long to make sure the fish is hooked.

In all honesty I have had very few instances where pike have come off hooks on baits and that even without using two trebles but one and one single to hold the bait on the cast but then I haven't done a great deal of TW piking so wouldn't know the 'science' if you like of how they take baits etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surley if your trebles are placed in your bait fish so that one treble is in the middle of the bait fish you will stand a chance of hooking the fish without waiting for it to "turn" the bait.

Yes you will miss some,thats the way it goes.i would sooner loose a "fish of a lifetime" than take a chance of deep hooking it,match or pleasure fishing i would do the same.

I dont mean to offend anybody but im afraid if your waiting for the fish to "turn" the bait then your taking a big chance that the fish will be deep hooked.

tr fish do have shorter heads/jaws true,but then they are compenstated by wider mouths so the hook up ratio before the pike "turns the fish will be higher as theres more chance of it having that center treble in its mouth.

Carlstreet, like I said the pre conditioned feeding is the real reason in my opinion.The TR's physical abnormalities (which lets remember arnt in all TR fish) are just an added factor.

Hooks in the middle and an instant stike sounds good in theory but Ive simply found it not to work (or be needed for that matter) when fishing lives on TR's. Delaying a strike in some situations doesnt necessarily mean definate deephooking as neither does instant striking garantee that you will never deep hook a fish.

Learn to deal with a deep hooked fish as it cant be 100% avoided then you will have the luxurey of experimenting with delays.Im not and never will advocate intentional deep hooking but as it happens sometimes regardless the best to be able to deal with it.

Its a shame that I could not take some of the doubters to a res with me and let them experience it first hand.In the days of mono we missed many runs on lives by striking to early and when we switshed to braid we noticed that this amount of missed runs reduced but many were just "nose" hooked.

Let me assure you that I or any of the other regular TR pikers I know would adopt this tecnique if deep hooking on a regular basis was the result.

Mind you all this talk about TR's Im quite happy to admit that there are very few non TR waters that I "instant strike" on.Admitedly they are never left the ridiculous lengths we do on TR's and the delay maybe only the time it takes to walk to the rod pick it up and wind down but a delay non the less.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!