Bic Bilbao Angler test.

maidstonemike

Hi all,

I’m new to kayak fishing been buying up cheap gear ebay/lidl/etc,started off by getting a bic scapa,now I’ve limited kayak experience I’ve been in CAPELLA, DAGGER and a Yak Board, also went on a weekend sea kayaking training course, so I don’t have a lot of experience to compare the scapa with, but I find its relatively fast ,tracks really well at sea, it can feel slightly tipy at first but this just forces you to relax the hip’s more, its also a reasonably dry kayak although if there’s a lot of chop you will end up sitting in a puddle but the scupper holes work a treat when your paddling and make a pleasing whirl pool as the waters sucked away, plenty of room for a crate and all my fishing gear, and feels very stable when fishing, and its comfortable too, so no need to buy additional seat backs like a lot of kayaks, I know bic doesn’t seem to have a great reputation on some of the forums, and they are relatively new to branching out into kayaks, they should get credit for being one of the best surf board designers and do have years of experience that they are now trying to bring to kayaking and I can appreciate that new bic styling and choice of superior materials, may make the less forward thinking run for the comfort of something more familiar

where do the taps go :whistling:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I’m new to kayak fishing been buying up cheap gear ebay/lidl/etc,started off by getting a bic scapa,now I’ve limited kayak experience I’ve been in CAPELLA, DAGGER and a Yak Board, also went on a weekend sea kayaking training course, so I don’t have a lot of experience to compare the scapa with, but I find its relatively fast ,tracks really well at sea, it can feel slightly tipy at first but this just forces you to relax the hip’s more, its also a reasonably dry kayak although if there’s a lot of chop you will end up sitting in a puddle but the scupper holes work a treat when your paddling and make a pleasing whirl pool as the waters sucked away, plenty of room for a crate and all my fishing gear, and feels very stable when fishing, and its comfortable too, so no need to buy additional seat backs like a lot of kayaks, I know bic doesn’t seem to have a great reputation on some of the forums, and they are relatively new to branching out into kayaks, they should get credit for being one of the best surf board designers and do have years of experience that they are now trying to bring to kayaking and I can appreciate that new bic styling and choice of superior materials, may make the less forward thinking run for the comfort of something more familiar

didn't catch how much it weighs :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

ok I get it its not a prowler :rolleyes:

they do not sell well here , south pier ship yard are the agents ,yet our local ocean kayak dealer (iron stores ) cannot get enough oceans . they go out the door quicker than he can get them .

good biro's though :rolleyes:

ps. my neibour has just bought a new prowler . jealous now as it has the ff transducer mount which he does not need as he does not fish . :(

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

You lads just dont get it do you <_< Its all about a review posted up about a fishing kayak giving it a perfect 10 when the reviewer didnt even fish out of it!! As i've said its a perfectly good kayak for certain things , horses for courses I think someone said. It doesnt matter if its a Scupper pro , prowler or a dorado - the review which started this thread , which was about the perfect Bic , was a load of ****s :wallbash: Its like me posting up a review saying the prowler makes a fantastic surf yak :headhurt:

Ok Prowler 13

You lads just dont get it do you <_< Its all about a review posted up about a fishing kayak giving it a perfect 10 when the reviewer didnt even fish out of it!! As i've said its a perfectly good kayak for certain things , horses for courses I think someone said. It doesnt matter if its a Scupper pro , prowler or a dorado - the review which started this thread , which was about the perfect Bic , was a load of ****s :wallbash: Its like me posting up a review saying the prowler makes a fantastic surf yak :headhurt:

i do not think there is a perfect yak out there. thats why the models change spec , looking for that perfect setup. a universal yak for all types would only be a compromise of good bits .

:thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

I do get it Martin , and I agree. It's a compromise, they have converted a kayak that's not designed with angling in mind. It's a recreational multi purpose kayak.

I think the first reviewer was just giving his impression of the kayak, not the angling side of things. A mistake perhaps.

However, it will suite some people who don't need to fish two miles offfshore. It's perfectly able to cope with inshore waters in comfortable conditions. Who wants to fish in rough seas anyway? Not me. As for the hatches, I find I can manage without one, with less tackle etc. I use a tackle belt, and just carry bait, and rod and net. I think they have added too much to the price for what you get. You might as well buy a standard Bilbao and convert it for angling. I have fitted a depth finder, using the drink holder well. You don't need an elaborate anchor system with the Bilbao, it's so stable, you can just put your legs either side, and slide up the the bow to pull the anchor up.

I lay in mine with my feet on the bow seat!

So we can use ours just for a trip up the coast for fun, or fishing. 5 miles is our longest paddle.

Now, I would rather see more posts on actual fishing, when the bloody wind and weather improve! Every time I choose a day to go, it's blowing half a gale.

I had this picture in my mind of me floating around in the twinkling sea, in the sun, catching Bass etc. Will it ever happen this year?

hi maidstone same here except i have a full gale ,i had that picture too then woke up !!! we can dream though :rolleyes:

:fishing1::1a::thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

I had this picture in my mind of me floating around in the twinkling sea, in the sun, catching Bass etc. Will it ever happen this year?

Should have been in tywyn a couple of weeks ago had a cracking time on the bass, don't lose faith though i'm sure the weather will change soon and you'll be out there amongst the bass :thumbs: