OK Prowler Trident

SpeciMan

It's an excellent drawing....

It is available in chandleries & goes under the name of a cable gland. We have played with splitting one of these to allow the large end (which, for efficient working cannot be removed) of the transducer cable through & it has worked after a fashion. I think many kayakers have experimented similarly but the problem is that you really need something that allows the width of the end through yet seals round the width of a wire (it's a male dream!)..I would welcome feedback from anyone who has had success with any brand so we can share that knowledge?

We'll keep trying!

Regards

Andrew

(JO UK)

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I'm aware of the problem with difference in sizes of the plugs and cables. Obviously, my design would entail a custom moulding for the gland, which would still have to have a blob of silicone applied to ensure a water tight seal. But I'm sure no yakker would object to doing that. In fact the teats are probably uneccessary; it could just have slits. Then as long as the cable gland sat below the rim of the threaded opening, you could just fill with silicone around the protruding cables to the level of the rim.

I won't be updating my kayak for at least a couple of seasons so, hopefully, you'll have come up with a solution by then :D

Cheers

Kev :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this from another site

Quote:

"All you have to do is put your soft-side cooler in that center hatch for your fish, and it's about $1200 bucks less than a Dorado!!"

Er, excuse me? A Trident Angler with a rudder is $1339 and a fully rigged Kaskazi Dorado is $1795...cost difference $396.

A Trident Angler "package deal" is $2439!

And sure, you could put a soft sided cooler in that center hatch and keep your bluegills in it!

On the brighter side, it does seem to be a BIG step in the right direction. I'd like to know what the true weight of it is, and not the advertised weight.

Stu

Not sure of the weight yet - the two pictured (see also Anglers Afloat) were literally the first ones out of the mould & were fitted out as I watched - the figures are approximations according to design spec but may change up or down.

Er excuse me too - £1495 (the UK basic price) =$2975 at this morning's exchange rate £1795 = $3572 - I actually think that's no bad price for a composite boat but in the interest of accuracy etc!

Regards

Andrew

Not sure about the centre hatch, needs a much better seal than that on the Prowler front hatch as looks lower down, will get wetter and let water in during moderate conditions. I'm just not keen on opening any hatches on the water that go to the inside of the Yak. What I would like to see is a decent tackle box that's actually waterproof, not like the Prowler one. As for the finder guard, nice idea for going through the surf if the unit can be folded down and again it's all sealed, otherwise not convinced.

All IMHO :thumbs:

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

You've lost me there Andrew. What's the UK price for the Trident going to be? Just the basic over-the-counter kayak. Surely not £1495?

No - my comparisons were based around the Dorado £ price being quoted in $ - I just did the maths bit to validify the actual difference.

Final prices in the UK are projected to be £750-800 for the standard version...fully fitted inc. 343 F/F, rudder, paddle, deluxe seat etc getting on for twice that. Always difficult to finalise without knowing how many fit in a container etc. Also final price is not defined yet for US.

NB When looking at US prices... they don't include delivery (paid by the customer & more punitive in Florida than Washington State) or state sales tax..their equivalent of VAT & rate varies by state.

Hope this is clear

Andrew

Not sure about the centre hatch, needs a much better seal than that on the Prowler front hatch as looks lower down, will get wetter and let water in during moderate conditions. I'm just not keen on opening any hatches on the water that go to the inside of the Yak. What I would like to see is a decent tackle box that's actually waterproof, not like the Prowler one. As for the finder guard, nice idea for going through the surf if the unit can be folded down and again it's all sealed, otherwise not convinced.

All IMHO :thumbs:

I can't really comment, as you can see the water was glassy, but it's the same longitudinal hatch as the Big Game & will be higher than the P13 because it's a deeper boat. We have changed the forward hatch attachment as there is now a brilliant four way buckle on the market that we've used on our sea kayaks with great success that will be on the new models where necessary. I'd always be wary of opening a through to hull hatch at sea if there's a likelihood of taking a wave...used properly, as always, there should be no problem

The changes come about through people's feedback - if it's practical & possible we try to incorporate changes suggested by users...it is by far the best form of market research so thanks to all for suggestions. Spike Gladwin, the designer is a Brit & is rated as top of the tree currently but he's the first to admit the influence & inspiration of the end user.

Andrew

(JO UK)

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I'm aware of the problem with difference in sizes of the plugs and cables. Obviously, my design would entail a custom moulding for the gland, which would still have to have a blob of silicone applied to ensure a water tight seal. But I'm sure no yakker would object to doing that. In fact the teats are probably uneccessary; it could just have slits. Then as long as the cable gland sat below the rim of the threaded opening, you could just fill with silicone around the protruding cables to the level of the rim.

I won't be updating my kayak for at least a couple of seasons so, hopefully, you'll have come up with a solution by then :D

Cheers

Kev :thumbs:

Kev

While I was out there we tried a few types...all would work as you say for a while or to a greater or lesser degree. The 'problem' is that we could tool for some HB models & then they wouldn't fit other brands & it's a fairly pricey process for what, even worldwide, is a fairly small market & would add a mildly disproportionate amount to the cost.

The most succesful was a full 'grommet' with a single slot cut through but fitting the edges of the hole but if the cables move then the relative seal is not reliable to keep it dry..just a bit drier.

We'll keep looking as I said!

Cheers

Andrew

Final prices in the UK are projected to be £750-800 for the standard version...fully fitted inc. 343 F/F, rudder, paddle, deluxe seat etc getting on for twice that. Always difficult to finalise without knowing how many fit in a container etc. Also final price is not defined yet for US.

Thanks Andrew. Think I'll stick with what I've got for the time being! Certainly does look the business though, very, very nice. The deflector plate especially seems to be a very good idea and something I'd thought about fabricating for my yak as I always seem to take a wave onto the back of the finder when i launch, without fail.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Paintfly,

I've played around with different types of seals, have used the supplied fitting on the new Prowler 13 and as yet is still dry, but to be honest I don't think you can beat a huge blob of silicone for shear confidence that you won't get a leak, I hide all the cables beneath the finder foot so the mountain of silicone is near invisible, all adds up to one dry kayak... well inside anyway :)

As for the Trident 15, take a really good look at the design, there are probably a lot more features that we are missing by focusing on the Fish/rod box and Finder box, as for weight, we all know that at 15ft 7.5 inches she is going to be heavy but that's why we have C-Tugs ;)

SM :)

Edited by Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com