Baitrunner advice needed

wotnobivvy

I have the opportunity to do a bit of occasional carp fishing on a second rod whilst float fishing. I am looking to buy a bait runner reel but don't want to spend more than £30. New is favourite, but a good second-hand one is ok. Must have 2 spools and lefthand wind. I am not worried about a line clip. I have been looking at Shakespeare and Okuma who seem to do some good cheap reels. Anyone have experience and/or recommendation ??

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I have a cracker of a baitrunner that I got from Lidl! Just don't expect admiring glances from those with all the 'right' labels!! As for Shakespeare & Okuma, you pays your money & takes your pick, both make good, and often underrated tackle.

From the two brands you list, I'd tend towards the Okuma range, based on good reesults I've had with their reels - I've still got one of their bigger original Epix Pro's going strong after about 8 years ... and that includes plenty of saltwater use too.

That said, someone recently put me onto some ABU reels last year - the Cardinal 105 FR - I got a couple of them - and they've been faultless. Supplied with two good spools and a decent case too, you can usually pick them up for well under thirty quid. Don't be put off by the '105' sizing ... they are about the equivalent of a '4000 / 5000' type reel.

I have 2 of the original epix bought circa 1995 still going strong used and abused on my Pike dead bait rods for that long

I also bought some Shakespeare Cyprus bait runners that when treated with the same lack of care as the above Okumas died witching 4 years leading me to think older is better esp the Older Okuma and Shiimmy gear

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I have 3 old Okuma Epix, well over 10 years old, that I still use regularly without problems.

I also have a couple of Shimano 5010 that are older and work perfectly.

If I was buying another reel at the moment it would be another Shimano 5010

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

if you can stretch to another tenner I would strongly recommend a second hand Shimano 5000 GTE, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Aero-5000-GTE-Baitrunner-Very-Good-Condition-/321812732631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aed889ad7

They often go for about £40 on ebay and will be loads better than any new reel you can find at that price. (I have 4!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken the plunge and gone for the Okuma Proforce PFRB-30 as recommended by Kappa. It is all spooled up and ready to go as soon as I can sneak out the back door

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not