• pellets
    • luncheon meat
    • artificial baits
  2. 2. best ground bait

• fishmeal ground baits (power mix)
    • sinking bread (freebies)
    • pellets
    • sweet corn

Sorry to disappoint you but there isn't a best bait for carp, or any other species for that matter.

My own choice of bait would depend on the water. For instance what's the stocking density, what other species are present, what baits are used at present, is the bottom hard or soft, what's the weed situation like?

It may also vary from day to day depending on the conditions. It may also vary from swim to swim.

It would certainly be different on a commercial compared with my own gravel pits at Wingham.

May I therefore suggest that you ask the moderators to change the poll from "best bait" to "favourite bait"?

Nearly all my members at Wingham fish boilies. Why I don't know as the water is very rich and apart from carp contains just pike and eels. I suppose it's just convenience.

Here my favourites would be a dark, heavy particle such as maples or kidney beans, plus maggots, bread and mixers. Floating baits are now rarely used at Wingham despite being very successful years ago!

I don't fish commercial waters for carp, although I've caught a lot when fishing for other species. Here I'd start with whitebait. It's probably never been used, is highly visible and also very smelly. Most of all it's highly effective!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

if you have any other baits that are not on my poll than do feel free to let me no :thumbs:

mike finlay

Hi Mike

Have voted on pellets, how ever I use a 50-50 pellet and ground bait in a stick mix, mostly these days at a distance and loose pellet and particle mix in the margins, just to add to the confusion.

Best bait for carp is whatever they respond to. My favourites are boilies, corn, maize and tigers (oh and plastic baits when required). As for ground bait - what about hemp ? That would be my number one choice for all my fishing, and for carp I usually mix it with a small amount of groats.

Rob.

Plastic corn soaked in corn steep liquor is doing well for me at the moment.

At my local lake at the moment, they're going mad for fishmeal groundbait. The mix I'm using is Dynamite Baits fishmeal to which I add sweetcorn, some 2mm trout pellets and Van Dan Eyde Mussel-flavour enhancer. I then pack that around a method feeder with corn on the hook. Last saturday, in a 12 hour session, me and a mate bagged almost 50 carp between us!!

Boilies is all i use and for ground bait i use " Crazy Bait " with all sorts in it, Sweetcorn / Boilies / Maggots / Hemp with Korum Skinz Liquid Flavour & Dyes ( " Tutti Fruitti Flavour " )

mysig333323dj5.jpg

if you have any other baits that are not on my poll than do feel free to let me no :thumbs:

mike finlay

At the moment I am taking in turns in catching carp from my bolt rigs useing bollies then in other trips. One of the best ways to catch carp - Worm on the float. You can't beat that!