Bit of video

Steve Walker

Had a few hours on the gravel pit this evening, and chucked the video camera out attached to a feeder. Interesting how much interest there was immediately in the area of the groundbait, even though it had nothing but corn in it (which the perch and rudd seemed pretty unimpressed with - didn't get a bite on it, which was kind of the idea, but the tench were not obliging either.

• Like 1

Time to be trying different mixes to look at the reaction. Would be interesting to watch how perch react to a fishmeal mix, whether dampened pellets create a better feeding response, and whether natural sweet flavours get them rooting around.

I'm sure they'd have responed to a feeder full of worms and maggots better than anything.

• Like 1

Yeah, they go nuts for loose fed maggot. That mix in the feeder was what I had out in the method feeder, wanted to see if any tench would have a munch.

The groundbait base was hemp & halibut, so some fishy flavour but not much food.

Interesting to see how little of the feed made it to the bottom with the feeder - something those that allow feeders to sink to the bottom on a tight line should bear in mind,

Especially when fishing deeper venues.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see how little of the feed made it to the bottom with the feeder

Right

I am pretty well dissatisfied with any feeder as sold, Mine get about 80% covered with masking tape to keep the contents in until it is where I want it.

If using live maggots I block all exit holes bar two. I want a trickle in my swim, not 40% on the bank before casting, 40 % lost in flight, 19 % escaping as feeder sinks and one maggot left (if you are lucky) when the feeder hits bottom. :)

Less of a problem with inert baits of course, but restricting the exits does allow you to use a more "fluid" groundbait

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Of course, one might want some of that effect. I put out a mixture of grated luncheon meat and groundbait using a bait dropper, and it was barely noticed by the rudd and perch. It's the slowly sinking particles which get their attention. Avoiding their attention may be desirable in itself, however I do have a theory that the presence of feeding shoals of smaller fish is a factor in roving tench nosing in for a peck.

If the feeder is dropping on a loose line, the hookbait will still be in the vicinity of the feeder contents unless there's a very strong undertow. A lot of people close the bail when the feeder hits the water though and feel for it hitting the bottom on a tight line. This means that the feeder is swinging in towards them on a tight lineand away from the bait.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.