Kayakfishing Chat - continues

Newt

Simon,Olly

Re Char fishing : I'm no expert on the intricacies of char fishing but each year i spend a few days at the end of July camping on the side of Coniston. The best method i have found from the boat is a maggot feeder with an 18in hooklength and double red maggot on a size 18 hook lobbed about 20 yds from the boat and feathered down to the bottom which can take upto a minute. At that time of year from what i can gather you need the deepest water you can find and in Coniston that's around 180ft so make sure there's plenty of rope on the anchor. Fishing that way i've had a few Char and the odd Brown trout to about 12oz. The down side of fishing this depth is the fish don't seem able to recover from being hauled up.

Instead,Why not fish for the Pike and perch in the margins, they are far more sporting and the pike in coniston fight harder than any pike i've ever caught before.

nifty.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yakity,

The best suggestion i can make regarding fly fishing in the sea is keep it simple and don't get carried away with trying the "must have" fly of the moment, otherwise you'll spend all day deciding which one to use and end up missing the fish (like i do). I've had more success with basic trout patterns like baby dolls and fritz in white and peppermint green on size 6/8 than i have with shop bought bass flies, though i must admit this winter i have tied up a box full of beauties that can't fail after copying patterns on the swff site.

nifty.

Might be a bit tricky the people who I got the Mambo from told me to go to stand with the ainsworth paddles on and pick one to suit me because he was getting a supply of paddles from them so he supplied the size I told him, the size they told me complicated isnt it, and know they didnt measure me just looked at me and said im never far out.You just take it for granted sometimes being in the trade they should know.

olly

quote:

Explanation of closing threads due to length

This thread WAS NOT closed due to any problems with it's content.

It was closed when it reached 6 pages in length because we have found that really long threads can not only be very slow to open but can even slow down the entire forum.

Newt

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President