Leadcore or Tubing ?

kestrel

Dont see why with the correct application a fish should be left trailing anything.even the hook link that it seems many carpers feel aceptable? Any breakage of the main line is simply down to bad angling.If anyone doesnt agree please give me some examples?

There are situations when line breakages are inevitable. One simple example is snagging up - when pulling for a break may be required. Anyway that's an aside, the plain and simple fact is that it happens and for some people it happens a lot - and they accept it ! End tackles are left lying around and if that if includes lead core, the lead, hooks and big knots then that is very bad news for a fish that picks it up !

So my philospohy is that if so many people can't use the stuff safely then don't use it at all.

Rob.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think thats rubbish! Ive never seen it despite having heard /read about it.Have you actually seen it yourself?

I take on board Robs comments re people not using it correctly but as said before this can apply to several things.

Dont see why with the correct application a fish should be left trailing anything.even the hook link that it seems many carpers feel aceptable? Any breakage of the main line is simply down to bad angling.If anyone doesnt agree please give me some examples?

I had some Nash ready made leadcore leaders a few years back, and the outer material was so rough/abbrasive it could very easy cause flank damage, just pull it hard accross your own skin/hand and see how nasty it could be, it was like a file. I have seen carp with scars in straight lines along their flanks starting from the mouth end a inch or so back, but all though I could not prove it is the result of leadcore damage during the fight and a fish thrashing about or pulling away from you, it seemed very consistant to it, it could be due to mono line yes I agree, but knowing how abbrassive some leadcores can be, I have a strong feeling this was what it was down to.

I might be wrong about this, so any other views would be good.

Edited by trevor2003

I had some Nash ready made leadcore leaders a few years back, and the outer material was so rough/abbrasive it could very easy cause flank damage, just pull it hard accross your own skin/hand and see how nasty it could be, it was like a file. I have seen carp with scars in straight lines along their flanks starting from the mouth end a inch or so back, but all though I could not prove it is the result of leadcore damage during the fight and a fish thrashing about or pulling away from you, it seemed very consistant to it, it could be due to mono line yes I agree, but knowing how abbrassive some leadcores can be, I have a strong feeling this was what it was down to.

I might be wrong about this, so any other views would be good.

I would have thought this damage would have been caused by braid that had no tubing or leadcore running along the last 3 feet or so. Surely Leadcore or Tubing would protect a fish from tight mono or braid rubbing along its flanks ? Maybe not ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I would have thought this damage would have been caused by braid that had no tubing or leadcore running along the last 3 feet or so. Surely Leadcore or Tubing would protect a fish from tight mono or braid rubbing along its flanks ? Maybe not ?

Not sure if all people use tubing though Kestrel, I have seen many that don't. I must admit when I did use leadcore in the past, tried to keep everything safe as pos, as with all set ups and never had any problems myself.

I know it is a job to tell exactly what would cause that type of scaring and it could be various things, but I was going by the width of the scar rather than the length, as leadcore tends to be a thicker diameter than braid and knowing how abrassive the Nash stuff was, but still not a fan of it myself and don't use it anymore. I now stick to sinking tubing, tungston putty, the Korda flying backleads and back leads up near the rods to keep it all pinned down, feel safer with that, even if I am doing leadcore and injustice, would rather stick to a method that works and is safe.

Ive just never seen it despite landing/having seen landed many,many carp of all sizes on it.You say your self-

" it could very easy cause" Comendable guess but a guess all the same! see what Im saying?

Rob same for your sentiments but couldnt it also be argued that over powerfull rods can cause damage (do we see general bans on those?)

Its difficult I know but the whole buisness of rules/bans to allow for the idiots dismays me in all walks of life.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ive just never seen it despite landing/having seen landed many,many carp of all sizes on it.You say your self-

" it could very easy cause" Comendable guess but a guess all the same! see what Im saying?

Rob same for your sentiments but couldnt it also be argued that over powerfull rods can cause damage (do we see general bans on those?)

Its difficult I know but the whole buisness of rules/bans to allow for the idiots dismays me in all walks of life.

Budgie,

Could we really argue overpowerful rods cause damage ? - no in a word. I've never seen it. A rod is a kind of shock absorber when playing a fish and with it is the line - even more springy. So in a word it isn't the rod that does the damage it's the bad angling.

I'm with you on the dislike of banning things but in the case of lake owners wishing to protect their stocks I'm all for it. One could argue don't let idiots fish but there's no way of spotting them at the outset. The closest I can think of is a syndicate. At least there you have a reasonably stable membership and the idiots can be weeded out and replaced.

I guess the other option is a rig check. Some lakes insist on this and I'm happy with that, but it's a time consuming business, especially when you try and explain to half a dozen people why their rigs are unsafe and waht they should use. Lastly I guess barbless overcomes 95% of the problems, because no matter what, it's almost impossible to do something that results in a tethered fish (only almost though ;) )

Rob.

i use lead core myself i personally don't see how it's unsafe myself maybe you could explain, yes it's unforgiving and has no give what so ever but if your using mono you get the extra strech you need,

now in a result of a snap of using lead core with time the hooks will rust and break off this then resulting in no leadcore been dragged around and i'm pretty sure that if the same fish is caught again and still has the hook and core atached the angler lucky enough to catch it would do the humane thing and relive the carp of the hook.

i'm not shrugging off tubing tho i like the idea of using it but never really use it tho i like to splice myown lead core and use that.

Dan.

So In the meantime, while it is taking months or longer for the hook to rust it is ok for the carp to drag the leadcore and rig about is it?

Jesus

Says it all really.

So In the meantime, while it is taking months or longer for the hook to rust it is ok for the carp to drag the leadcore and rig about is it?

Jesus

Says it all really.

I just dont see why anything should be left in the fish full stop!

Budgie,

Could we really argue overpowerful rods cause damage ? - no in a word. I've never seen it. A rod is a kind of shock absorber when playing a fish and with it is the line - even more springy. So in a word it isn't the rod that does the damage it's the bad angling.

Rob.

Exactly! just the same as leadcore or many other rigs/tackle/methods.

BUT I have seen damage caused by the hook being pulled by idiots using rods that are too powerfull to act as the shock absorber!

When I say Ive not seen damage caused by leadcore I am reffering to cutting/grazing/sczle lifting etc.Sadly Ive seen/caught many carp trailing rigs that incorporate leadcore.But just as many without obviously.

Protecting the stock is a good point.I suppose I am a bit guilty of double standards here as we have banned braided mainlines on our water as a result of damage caused (but once again due to its poor use) but use it myself and in deed champion its use.

In the ideal world we would only ban things that are inherently dangerous (is that the right word?) rather than things that can be dangerous by mis use but it aint a perfect world!.Rather than seeing people like your self or fishery managers (all though you understand the facts and many fisheries managers simply dont!) simply decry something because of the potential for misuse I would rather see education.Give people the facts and help them use something correctly.