Leadcore or Tubing ?

kestrel

i personally use leadcore myself and if used correctly it is pretty safe. i will agree in the wrong hands it could be quite dangerous. as for the issues of bulky knots, once again i do not have this problem if tied correcltly ther will not be a bulky knot. i will always ensure that my lead set up will always pass over any knots.

as for the scaring of fish you will often find that this comes from stuff in the lake, including lateral scarring. another thing how many of us have been surface fishing whare no tubing in used, has your nylon ever resulted in the damage of fish or the lifting of sacles as i have never seen this and nylon is as sharp as cheese wire when stretched.

in my oppinion there are many items of tackle out there that when used wrong are a danger to are much loved fish. take for example the great barbed - barbless debate???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally use leadcore myself and if used correctly it is pretty safe.

Ah but is pretty safe acceptable ? I won't fish with anything that isn't totally safe personally, well as close as you can get to it. The barbed or barless hook is a red herring IMO. The only time a barbless hook comes into it's own is if it's used with an unsafe end tackle set-up - like a number of leadcore setups are (in my experience). In a proper safe end tackle system there's no issue.

The biggest problem is still broken lines which leave tackle all over the lake bed (and up trees). We used to have a guy who would crack off at least once or twice a session and he accepted that. Anyone with half a brain could tell something's not right, which he seemed to have missed out. He was subsequently banned for life.

What I'm kind of coming to is that common sense should prevail and people should be able to work out and use stuff that's safe. The problem is that in many cases common sense is a dead art and so bans are brought in.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

What I'm kind of coming to is that common sense should prevail and people should be able to work out and use stuff that's safe. The problem is that in many cases common sense is a dead art and so bans are brought in.

Rob.

And sadly Rob I think youve just about summed it up there mate.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have read all the replies and made the decision to stop using leadcore and I now use tubing for my rigs. I have bought some ESP anchor tubing. This is heavy enough for me. I have changed my view and think that tubing is far safer.

Next time you go fishing check how easily your clip or swivel ejects your lead, you may be surprised just how much pressure it takes to release.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

It's also worth considering whether you need either. Tubing/leadcore is considered pretty much essential now, but in reality it often isn't. Tubing is useful when using soft braid hooklengths to prevent tangling but that's about it. A blob or two of tungsten putty a few feet behing the rig achieves the same effect as leadcore.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's also worth considering whether you need either. Tubing/leadcore is considered pretty much essential now, but in reality it often isn't. Tubing is useful when using soft braid hooklengths to prevent tangling but that's about it. A blob or two of tungsten putty a few feet behing the rig achieves the same effect as leadcore.

Exactly what i do :)

I never liked the idea of leadcore and found tubing a bit clumsy and it frequently stuck out at odd angles from the bottom.

I've read many scaremongering stories saying that fishing without tubing or some kind of leader can lift carp scales. I for one have never had this problem and am more than happy using no leader at all.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Exactly what i do :)

I never liked the idea of leadcore and found tubing a bit clumsy and it frequently stuck out at odd angles from the bottom.

I've read many scaremongering stories saying that fishing without tubing or some kind of leader can lift carp scales. I for one have never had this problem and am more than happy using no leader at all.

Paul.

I know, I'm not sure where that came from! I know people will now post a reply saying that they've seen it first-hand and that it can happen (and it may do occasionally) but if you don't use tubing when float fishing or floater fishing or legering with a feeder (all for carp) then I don't see the logic of always using tubing when using a semi-fixed set-up.

Tungsten puty is brilliant. With carpers always trying to 'camo' everything up, drop a rig with tubing, one with leadcore and one with neither but a few little blobs of putty in the margin, and see which ones look the most obvious! This also allows the line to lay naturally over any underwater obstructions like weed, sticks, rocks, etc. without looking like a sore thumb :rolleyes:

I do use both leadcore and tubing occasionally, but only for a specific situation, never as a matter of course. I also sometimes use a float, so I guess I'm a bit of a noddy :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...
I know, I'm not sure where that came from! I know people will now post a reply saying that they've seen it first-hand and that it can happen (and it may do occasionally) but if you don't use tubing when float fishing or floater fishing or legering with a feeder (all for carp) then I don't see the logic of always using tubing when using a semi-fixed set-up.

Tungsten puty is brilliant. With carpers always trying to 'camo' everything up, drop a rig with tubing, one with leadcore and one with neither but a few little blobs of putty in the margin, and see which ones look the most obvious! This also allows the line to lay naturally over any underwater obstructions like weed, sticks, rocks, etc. without looking like a sore thumb :rolleyes:

I do use both leadcore and tubing occasionally, but only for a specific situation, never as a matter of course. I also sometimes use a float, so I guess I'm a bit of a noddy :thumbs:

Tungsten putty is good , but its expensive and hard to use when cold.

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I have stopped using any tubing now, I simply camo the last 2 mtrs of my braid using black/brown/green marker pen. Gives me confidence as Power Pro doesn't half stand out when it gets paler.

Brilliant reply about the scales lifting nonsense..so damned obvious :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, this is an issue that i always take into consideration when casting my chosen rigs into the water... a helicopter or chod rig in my opinion needs a length of leadcore! but i see people using a metre long leader 3 or 4 metres from the rod tip, all we need is to exercise some common sense... 50% of the time bite indication and presentation would probably improve by going back 10 years and having nothing pinning down the line and fishing mono straight to the hooklink with a slack line and a light bobbin. backleads can be more of a hinderance in some situations in my opinion and i avoid them unless absolutely neccesary....