killing our course fish [poles]

chalky632007

yes! look at germany

the whole angling thing revolves around "sport" its bad to fish for fun! ok to fish for food ,trouble is the anti's forget that its catching them thats the fun what happens to them after is irrelevant for the angler bar his anger at having to kill a fish merely to placate loud voiced idiots.

in england fish get returned with a hole in the lip in germany they get killed both anglers have "fun" catching them but in our fishes case they do have the chance to visit friends ,dine out or make babies! in germany they meet in a pot or get chucked away.i'm sure if the fish were asked which they prefer it would be on getting a chance to swim again albeit with a trip to a tench for treatment ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your point ,your saying that if we protect fish and show angling is a fare sport and not a blood sport (witch it would be if we killed for the pot )that the antis would disapprove of this in fav of killing fish?

The thing is Chris, that to some people fishing for the pot is more acceptable, than fishing just for pleasure or fun. While I don't subscribe to that idea, I can see how some might feel that way.

They see angling as a form of 'torture', just to satisfy some cruel need in those that participate.

But to fish for the pot, is some justification for catching them in the first place.

A strange logic, but one that seems to appeal to some.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This thread is about people eating coarse fish,

From the title, it was originally about killing 'course' fish and AFAIK, there is/are no such thing which makes me wonder how foreign people from one single other country have managed it.

I would have thought (assuming the topic was really about coarse fish) that either no one should be allowed or everyone should be allowed rather than singling out people from one country to heap the blame onto.

I really wish posters who started xenophobic rants would at least get it right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not fishing for the pot here in the UK is a recent thing. Pike have always been a food fish, carp were introduced as such and of course trout and salmon are river fish for ponces. Perch are noted for being tasty, eels are widely eaten and so on blah blah blah. Just because the majority prefer to return fish doesn't mean that that is offical policy. There are bag limits on removal of coarse fish and someone wrote earlier that there are size limits (I didn't know that - can you provide details please?).

I have a friend who is a German vegetarian working for CEFAS. Her job often involves dead fish (and cormorants on one occasion) by neccesity. Anyway, her personal feeling is that my fishing to return fish (for fun/sport) is wrong. Her feelings are that If I am fishing then I should be taking the fish. Quite a confusing viewpoint, to my eyes, for a vegetarian to hold - surely to return the fish alive is better? That's a sidenote anyway.

I have enjoyed eating pike personally. I always return the ones I catch unless they are damaged in some way - a singular occurrence to date; damaged gills - and have nothing against people taking them for the pot. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO. The only reasons I don't are because I'd rather catch them again and just don't wish to kil my favoured species. Certainly not as the result of any propaganda. My wife is French and would far rather I brought them home - to her I'm wasting my time. each to their own.

Anyway, France, Germany, Poland and the rest of the world all seem to have fish in their rivers still so what is the problem? I hardly think we are on the brink of seeing our native stocks annihalated overnight even if every immigrant of every nationality started fishing for the pot. It didn't happen before when Brits fished for the pot and it wouldn't happen now. Xenophobic and paranoid.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Dant's post raises some points I would like to comment on to try and saveconfusion Ive quoted these points and comented in bold-

Also has anyone actually seen 'immigrants' as they are so often desparigingly called, take fish to eat? I hazrad that there's a fair amount of heresay, 'my mate saw', 'this guy i met the other day mentioned' going on.

Ive been wondering/asking this same question for some time and have kept an open mind.If anything Ive came down on the side of it just been blown up out of all proportion........untill I recently started spending a lot of time in London.Ive still not seen armies of Polish/Kosovan/ etc etc immigrants catching and killing fish BUT during this time Ive been selling a lot of tackle at boot fairs in the Wimbledon,Battersea,Merton area. A great deal of the buyers here are Eastern European and the tackle they are trying to buy from me is exactly what I would "reccomend" for set lines and poaching! Im not so sure that these rumours are that any more!

We had a case of large scale fish taking from the Broads not so long back, thousands of fish were reckoned to of been taken. Who instantly got the blame - our Polish 'friends'.

It turned out to be a highly organised team of Englishmen, some local, using seine and throw nets to take large numbers of small fish Roach, Skimmers, Perch e.t.c Which were then quickly driven of in vans to be blast frozen, to supply the deadbait trade.

How many frozen Roach have you brought from tackle shops in unbranded clear polythene? Odds are weeks previous they were quite happily swimming around in the River Thurne..

And exactly what are you basing this on? Bit of a naughty accusation if your not 100% sure and have evidence to back it up isnt it? [b/]

I would summise that the greatest threat to our native species come from native folk and some of their overly zealous entrepreneurial activities. Think Crayfish and Mink for example.

I would take issue with someone importing an alien species to a country they don't belong..

Very true [b/]

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The thing is Chris, that to some people fishing for the pot is more acceptable, than fishing just for pleasure or fun. While I don't subscribe to that idea, I can see how some might feel that way.

They see angling as a form of 'torture', just to satisfy some cruel need in those that participate.

But to fish for the pot, is some justification for catching them in the first place.

A strange logic, but one that seems to appeal to some.

John.

o right i get it now thanks for clearing that up.Don't agree with it but understand.

Neither is having a wee in public on the rear nearside wheel of your car should you be caught short

applies only to professional drivers , IE horse and waggon or truck /Lorrie /cab drivers

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Only last week someone told me that match anglers often use poles, that can't be fair!

Judging by the poor spelling on this thread I reckon the forum has been infiltrated by Poles.

We should insist on a Britishness test for new members so we don't get and more foreigners on here.

blimey mate its open to norveners you cant get more foreign than that ,and they speak funny too :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

blimey mate its open to norveners you cant get more foreign than that ,and they speak funny too :D

Cheeky bugger. :P:P:P

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John