Fly fishing beginner in Essex

zardoz

Hi,

have done some coarse fishing etc but the wife bought me an "experience" voucher for Christmas which I used on an introductory fly fishing day at Rutland Water near Leicester. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt some casting basics (and even managed to catch 3 rainbows under my guides expert tuition)

My question is whether anyone knows of an easyish water nearer home in Essex (Brentwood) where a ham-fisted beginner like myself would be welcomed.

I guess somewhere where I can fish from the bank in a reasonably secluded location where my failed attempts to cast quietly wont endanger or annoy anyone.

I know fly fishing goes on at Hanningfield Reservoir and I was thinking of giving that a go from the bank. Any suggestions regarding that venue or other recommendations in Essex most welcome.

Also, I have no kit. I was going to get something like a 7# rod with no 7 floating line but beyond that not sure what else I should get. Have a landing net from coarse fishing but obviously need flies etc

Any ideas welcome

Hi,

have done some coarse fishing etc but the wife bought me an "experience" voucher for Christmas which I used on an introductory fly fishing day at Rutland Water near Leicester. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt some casting basics (and even managed to catch 3 rainbows under my guides expert tuition)

My question is whether anyone knows of an easyish water nearer home in Essex (Brentwood) where a ham-fisted beginner like myself would be welcomed.

I guess somewhere where I can fish from the bank in a reasonably secluded location where my failed attempts to cast quietly wont endanger or annoy anyone.

I know fly fishing goes on at Hanningfield Reservoir and I was thinking of giving that a go from the bank. Any suggestions regarding that venue or other recommendations in Essex most welcome.

Also, I have no kit. I was going to get something like a 7# rod with no 7 floating line but beyond that not sure what else I should get. Have a landing net from coarse fishing but obviously need flies etc

Any ideas welcome

Some flies for stillwater could include PTN, GRHE, buzzer (olive, black & brown), CDC shuttlecock buzzer, caddis pupae, hopper (black, claret & orange), daddy, damsel nymph, minkie, woolly bugger. Some people swear by the diawl bach, and the cruncher.

Don't overlook fly-fishing rivers. So many people get caught up on fly-fishing stillwater and for trout, forgetting the rivers and the course fish. Keep your options open.

Many of the same flies work on rivers. GRHE (weighted) and PTN are a must, add to that a shrimp pattern and maybe a PVC nymph, then some small dries like a tups, ginger quill, blue dun, black gnat, and BWO and you'll do OK.

For the river all you need is a floating line. If you're fishing stillwater from the bank then a floating line, a slow sinker, and maybe one fast sinker should cover most situations. Boat fishing might require some extra options. 5, 6 and 7lb clear mono should do for leader material. The 7weight should be fine for general fishing but you'd be best off trying before you buy - maybe you'd be happier with a 5 or 6#. The 7# is probably the most opted for weight for general stillwater fishing. For rivers a 4 or 5# is usually preferable. I generally use a 9' 5# middle to tip action rod for both river and stillwater though this isn't the best option for a windy day on a boat - then I use a 10' 8#. If you're going to fish lures and fry patterns a lot the #7 might be your best option.

Above all go to a good local tackle dealer. If they're worth their salt they'll put you on the right track.

Good luck.

Hanningfield is your best bet, mate.

They have stages positioned around the loch from where you can get that extra bit out on the water before trying to learn to cast. They also offer lessons but i think it's a bit expensive. They do an inexpensive evening ticket.

There are loads of package deals available at the moment - it's mid season and ot alot is selling. You could try the tackle bargains here or post another thread stating your budget and the guys will suggest options. However, make sure you get yourself a reel with a couple of spare spools and get yourself some differnt lines.

I'd suggest the following:

Daiwa Wilderness Fly Outfit

These rods were new for 2005 and have proved very popular. They were awarded best buy for rods under £100 by Trout & Salmon against some stiff competition. These rods are a fast modern action and easy to use. Full Outfit Contains

Any Wilderness Fly Rod

Scierra IC3 fly reel and 3 Spare Spools

2 Supreme Fly Lines (one Floating one Intermediate)

2 Spools Braided Backing and Loops

Fly Box with 50 Assorted Flies

Code Length AFTM Handle Pieces Rod Price Outfit Price

DW1959 9ft 6 #7 F/Wells 3 £68.08 £136.16

You'll find it at http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/F...ng_Outfits.html

Incidentally, i normally fish with an intermediate at Hanningfield at this time of year.

Try either,Chigboro.Three lakes there.One is a mallish water with trout average around 1.2lb.Easy water and you can double your limit on it.The other two lakes are a reasonable size-ticket prices are reasonable as well.

Nortons is ok,a little open but reasonable fishing,c/release there as well as chigboro.

Thanks a lot guys that looks like some useful advice.

That outfit looks pretty much what I need. It looks like still waters are where its at in Essex so I'll go for a 7 and stump up for another rod if I go further afield for river fishing.

I look forward to reporting back with my first unassisted trout

Cheers

Jon

don't forget that the bass and mullet are in at the moment. You can get some cracking sport in the rivers joining the Thames, etc. It's free and just as worthwhile in teaching you to cast!

I second that! I'm all landlocked in the Midlands, but given the chance at some easy access estuary mullet and bass I'd leap at the chance! And, like scotgun says, it's FREE!!

Chigborough (at Heybridge, not far from Maldon) is very definitely worth a visit or 3 - fish averaging around 3lb & going to 10lb plus. Mostly Rainbows & Browns, I think also some Tigers .

Good Clear Banks with some casting platforms on the main Lake, (Home Water) and you don't need to cast to the Horizon to catch.

All the usual still water flies will catch with smallish nymphs usually having the edge.

See the following for more details:

http://www.chigboro-fisheries.co.uk/chigboro/index.html

and here:

http://www.enjoy-fly-fishing.co.uk/chigboro-fishery/

If you fancy a morning (or evening) over there some time, pm me...........

Cheers

Barry

Barry

• 1 year later...
Hi,

Any ideas welcome

Have a look at Essex Flyfishers Club for a fly fishing venue in essex