which is the best kayak and why

welshcaster

I think its just another reason to sit in a pink Canoe :P

Shame you didn't take it out you could have written a review and given the rest of us a chance in the comp :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brilliant work Dave but what have you done to my legs! :clap2::clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

That pic has made my day fair play :thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I can recommend the prowler elite although i'm not 6' 5" only 6' but weigh about the same as you welshcaster i find theres plenty of room and the kayak is stable i also liked the ease with which you can install a fishfinder(as long as it a humminbird), but as people have already said best to try before you buy if you can. there were a couple of guys in bics off tywyn on saturday and they seemed to be getting on just fine in them (although the sea was relatively calm) was that you mike?

Others on this forum are probably far better qualified than I am to give you an answer to your question about which kayak is the best. At the risk of stating the obvious, there is NO right answer to your question although there could be several wrong ones , if you get what I mean! It's like asking someone 'what's the best car'?, the answer would depend on a whole range of different questions and personal circumstances. If I were in your shoes (which I once was not long ago, being a complete novice in terms of kayak knowledge) I'd pick as many people's brains as I could (bearing in mind that, either through personal preference or commercial vested interest, some people will be promoting one yak over another), try out as many yaks as is practical and then write up a personal tick-list of the attributes that you are personally looking for and give them a weighting in terms of their importance to your ultimate decision, i.e. where you intend to fish, how often, in what conditions, budget, longevity, resale value, etc., etc. I know that this all sounds a bit anal but it's a process that I find works when you are entering a marketplace that you know little or nothing about. At least your list of potential options is not dauntingly huge and all of the well known makes will do the job to a greater or lesser degree so you should quickly be able to see the wood for the trees in reaching a decision. To give you an example of how important trying the kit is before you take the plunge, pardon the pun, when I started out I bought a really good paddle but found out later that it was too long for me, not by very much, only a few centimetres, but when I changed it for the right length it made a HUGE difference to my paddling efficiency. Similarly the various yaks I tried also varied enormously in terms of comfort and support, so as the the old motto goes, buyer beware and do your homework and good luck!

Awesome pictures of Richi

Has he been transformed to the Bic side :)

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I can recommend the prowler elite although i'm not 6' 5" only 6' but weigh about the same as you welshcaster i find theres plenty of room and the kayak is stable i also liked the ease with which you can install a fishfinder(as long as it a humminbird), but as people have already said best to try before you buy if you can. there were a couple of guys in bics off tywyn on saturday and they seemed to be getting on just fine in them (although the sea was relatively calm) was that you mike?

No not yet, I'm invading Wales on Saturday for two weeks. As the water is so clear there, I'm taking lots of lures, feathers etc. At the worst, it will be FUN :clap2:

At best, I might catch a fish. :thumbs:

Edited by maidstonemike

No not yet, I'm invading Wales on Saturday for two weeks. As the water is so clear there, I'm taking lots of lures, feathers etc. At the worst, it will be FUN :clap2:

tight lines and calm seas , :fishing:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Good luck Mike hope you get dryer weather than we did (although in a dry suit rain doesn't bother you too much) loads of good size mackies around at the moment so at the very least you should be able to nab some of these (great on a barbie).