low tide shrimping

christian kimber

Christian, are you after brown shrimp or are you after prawns? Shrimp are what you would usually expect to catch over sand or mud with a push net and are too small to use as bait (but very tasty). Prawns are more likely to be around rocky or weedy structures and are best caught with a drop net or by foraging in rock pools.

Dave i am gunna buy drop net as colin rightly says most of the shrimp i got with my net were too small for bait.Still gunna use push net as found i picked up some decent sized shrimp and the odd peeler.

Colin i have tried with a little kiddie net for prawns round rocks and weed but just caught same sized shrimp/prawn as with push net.Any help on what net to buy etc would be great.

Dave anytime you want a fish i am more than up for a meet,let me know i will check to see if i can do it.

Went tonite had one great bite on crab but missed,think it may have been a bass and had just smashed into bait,also one decent bite on shrimps but missed yet again!

Cheers for help

Christian, are you after brown shrimp or are you after prawns? Shrimp are what you would usually expect to catch over sand or mud with a push net and are too small to use as bait (but very tasty). Prawns are more likely to be around rocky or weedy structures and are best caught with a drop net or by foraging in rock pools.

Shrimp vary in size and the larger ones are nearly as big as the larger prawns. They certainly are big enough to use as bait and I have taken good size sole and thornback on single shrimp. They would be fine to use when float fishing for bass.

The ones shown below are fairly average. I've caught them quite a bit bigger.

903971280_f952bea738_o.jpg

They're bigger than the ones we used to catch in the Welsh estuaries. Still look a bit on the small side to me, compared to a big juicy prawn.

Steve,

they certainly vary in size in different areas even locally on my own coast they vary. As I said you do get them bigger than the ones in the picture but not as big as the largest prawns. There are some very large ones in the Humber Estuary. They may well be some big ones in your area if you find the right spot. On my local coast, the Holderness, they are one of the main items of food for a number of species.

Phil

Dave i am gunna buy drop net as colin rightly says most of the shrimp i got with my net were too small for bait.Still gunna use push net as found i picked up some decent sized shrimp and the odd peeler.

Colin i have tried with a little kiddie net for prawns round rocks and weed but just caught same sized shrimp/prawn as with push net.Any help on what net to buy etc would be great.

Dave anytime you want a fish i am more than up for a meet,let me know i will check to see if i can do it.

Went tonite had one great bite on crab but missed,think it may have been a bass and had just smashed into bait,also one decent bite on shrimps but missed yet again!

Cheers for help

I purchased two these, plastic coat wire frame, seemed good value to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bait-trap-Crabs-Herm...1QQcmdZViewItem

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You can also use them as bait after you have boiled them. The easiest way is use a thing called a shrimp pin, which looks like a straightened out hook (or use a straightened out Aberdeen). This slides along the line above your hook and pushes down the inside of the shrimp's tail and holds it straight, then you don't need to mangle them trying to thread a huge hook through them.

hook_shrimp_pin.jpg

They toughen up quite a bit when you boil them and you can also dye them with various food colourings. (I've only gone to this trouble for salmon fishing but don't see why it shouldn't be good as bait for bass etc.) See if you can find a local shrimper or check the markets, local to me they sell boiled but un-picked shrimps for next to nothing.

Edited by ColinW

I brought a tiny drop net used for collecting bait, and got 2 blennies in it!!!!!

Think that may have been the wrong place to drop it,oh well try and try again.

As i have said i will persevere with my push net as i like the satisfaction when i get enough prawns for bait or a feed (sad i know)

Was talking to a guy who has given me some great advice on how to collect bait round beachy head on the real low tides so will try that next week.

This guy told me i could use tiny spider crabs if they are about to peel has anyone heard this? As there is loads of these critters so would be great for bait collecting :thumbs:

Thanks again if i do get some decent prawns and catch i will post a photo (may have to wait a while!)