Finally a result on the thames

viney

Almost all of my experience of the Severn is in the Ironbridge Gorge, where the river is wide and shallow and fast, and the cover is streamer weed rather than bankside vegetation. Much of the middle Thames is slower and much deeper.

Having set a target of catching a barbel from the Thames I've put a fair few hours in so far this season, I've had a few bream and a couple of pike for my efforts up until last night.

Fished a new stretch with some advice from a dodgy sounding character on the phone. The advice was sound and resulted in a 6-6 chub which being a pb by pound and a half I was over the moon with! A couple of hours later the same rod screamed off again and after a decent scrap I had what I initially thought was a carp in the net, as I lifted it out it became apparent it was another Chub! At 7-3 a second pb! Can only hopeiIcan find them both again in autumn or spring!

Congratulations on a super brace of Chub.

It's so easy to get used to seeing fish like this on the Thames but a brace of chub of this size is a super event that would have made front page news back in the day. Well done!

Chris.

Edited by goosequill
  • Like 1

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Steve, day and night equally on the bits I fish. Doesn't seem to matter.

Chris, great to see you again! We really do need to arrange something this winter!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve, day and night equally on the bits I fish. Doesn't seem to matter.

Chris, great to see you again! We really do need to arrange something this winter!

Andrew,

Many thanks. I quite agree with Autumn approaching it will be winter before we know it. I really need to get back into the fishing this year as I have been in a non angling state for far too long and keep thinking about those winter sessions we had..........

Chris.

• Like 1

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Someone mentioned they hadn't heard of big Chub on a lure. A little off topic but I did get told of a 7lb Thames Chub on roach live bait from the middle reaches. Also remember a Drennan rep catching a 7lber on a bleak live bait a few years back.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"