Quick Release Anchor vDeux

SpeciMan

My latest version:

6m of floating rope with a small float attached to take the weight of the carabiner tied to one end. This could be turned into an emergency tow rope by lengthening the rope and adding a bungee buffer and another carabineer on the opposite end.

rope.jpg

The rope is stored in a mesh bag. This keeps it seperate from the anchor and reel when not in use keeping things tidy and preventing tangles.

ropeinbag.jpg

A medium weight Ortlieb dry bag is used. Black was the only colour I had - however being a high contrast colour its quite easy to spot during daylight. I also added yellow and reflective tape.

drybag.jpg

This dry bag has D rings near the mouth. A carabiner is attached to a D ring. This is used to attach the dry bag to the anchor line and to clip the bag and contents to the tankwell/crate when not in use.

drybagdring.jpg

A Divers SMB reel is used - there are a number of different models available. I've got two different types but prefer this one mainly because it floats and offers a free spool mode where you don't need a finger on a lever to release line. I will reduce the length of line on this reel as it feels a bit overloaded - it can jam on the last few turns if the line is not distributed well on the spool.

carabiner.jpg

I've done away with the chain on the anchor. It works fine without it - I don't anchor over rocky ground.

reelandanchor.jpg

When the anchor is deployed, the dry bag is clipped onto the anchor line. The floating rope is then clipped through the SMB reel handle with the opposite end of the rope passed through the carabineer on the anchor trolley and jammed in a cleat.

setup.jpg

The floating rope can be quickly released from the kayak if you encounter difficulties at anchor or need to paddle over and help, photograph or chat to a fishing buddy.

When not in use the rope, reel and anchor is stored in the dry bag. With air expelled from dry bag it makes for compact storage. If a normal buoy had been used big enough to easily spot at sea storage could be more of an issue.

compact.jpg

I've added some foam to the bottom of my dry bag - this cushions the anchor from the deck and provides some buoyancy should the dry bag become flooded.

sponge.jpg

On the scales the whole lot (dry bag, 1.5kg anchor, anchor reel, dry bag, floating rope, mesh bag & sponge :D) weighs just 2.6kgs.

I've used this system a couple of times now and it works great. The buoy sits more vertical in stronger current.

onwater.jpg

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great idea speciman solves storage and marker buoy in one :thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Nice one Speciman. :thumbs:

The simple ideas are always the best. I have a dry bag about that size, I can do away with my cumbersome bouy now.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• 2 months later...
can you get divers reel that holds 100mtr's of rope?

Ive seen bigger ones about, but the other approach might be to reduce the line thickness. The reel above holds 80m of the 3mm nylon, heavy mono would do the trick. If you need that length of line then a smaller diameter would have less drag in a tide and help with keeping the anchor set.

I've used mine in 60ft of water and it's hard work winding a 0.75kg anchor and chain straight up. Used to jam on the body, stripped the line and wound on backwards by holding in right hand and wind with left, can't see the line lay well but at least it dosen't jam on the retrieve.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20