Great White Shark Attacks A Hobie Kayak

SpeciMan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from , i think , 'Planet Earth' , and is one of the most awesome bits of Great White footage , showing what they really can do !!!

Great White breeching

I reckon that wouldn't do my P13 much good :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Seal flapper on a butchers hook :headhurt: :headhurt: AVE IT!

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Unfortunately the coast of california is the great white sharks manor and so is the french coast and the med and also the areas around africa and australia in fact they are one of the most widely distributed sharks there is, so unless you intend to keep out of most of the worlds oceans(you may get away with swimming in the arctic or antarctic) you are going to be in his manor. Its not stupid to take part in a sport you enjoy and with kayak fishing as with all sports there is some element of risk involved(and in the case of shark attacks the risks are actually pretty low)you just have to be aware of the risks and take steps to minimise those risks as best you can, but hell life without some risks would be bloody boring.
I don't disagree with one word that you have posted. I'm not sure exactly what part of the 'french' coast you are talking about, we don't tend to see a great many great whites here in Luc-Sur-Mer, unless there is a repeat of one of the Jaws movies playing at the Drakkar, but in general I agree, Great Whites are pretty ubiquitous.

I do indeed intend to keep out of most of the worlds oceans. Having spent 9 years sailing all over them, I saw enough stuff to put me off going in. Have you ever seen a live cow been torn to shreds in front of your eyes by a mob of hungry tiger sharks? I have and I have no intentions of sharing its fate.

I also agree that life without risks would be as boring as hell. I used to get my thrills from climbing up rock faces, now I get them from sliding down mountains with a couple of planks of wood strapped to my boots.

This is purely semantics but I don't subscribe to the notion that fishing is a sport, to me it is more of a past time.

The guy was a dork. We should not be surprised by this, dorks are born at a rate of at least 1 per minute, on a global scale. ;) Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't disagree with one word that you have posted. I'm not sure exactly what part of the 'french' coast you are talking about, we don't tend to see a great many great whites here in Luc-Sur-Mer, unless there is a repeat of one of the Jaws movies playing at the Drakkar, but in general I agree, Great Whites are pretty ubiquitous.

I do indeed intend to keep out of most of the worlds oceans. Having spent 9 years sailing all over them, I saw enough stuff to put me off going in. Have you ever seen a live cow been torn to shreds in front of your eyes by a mob of hungry tiger sharks? I have and I have no intentions of sharing its fate.

I also agree that life without risks would be as boring as hell. I used to get my thrills from climbing up rock faces, now I get them from sliding down mountains with a couple of planks of wood strapped to my boots.

This is purely semantics but I don't subscribe to the notion that fishing is a sport, to me it is more of a past time.

The guy was a dork. We should not be surprised by this, dorks are born at a rate of at least 1 per minute, on a global scale. ;)

The french coast i'm talking about is any of it on the med(white sharks are well documented visitors to the med) and any of it south of the river loire and la rochelle(these are the most northerly points in the northeast atlantic that white sharks have been captured although in truth they probably range further north including the cost of the UK though there has never been one caught off the uk there are many recorded possible sightings).

you may not subscribe to the idea that fishing is a sport but many people do and when you combine it with kayaking it certainly is(it is more a sport than darts or snooker which are now considered sports).

Edited by snakey1

The guy was a dork. We should not be surprised by this, dorks are born at a rate of at least 1 per minute, on a global scale. ;)

your right about that, sticking your hand into a sharks mouth to retrieve the hook is definately darwin award material. :thumbs:

Edited by snakey1