What rod for a beginner?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wanoennogs

wanoennogs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

I am totally new to fishing.  I would like to learn how to fly fish.  What rod would you recommend for a beginner?

#2 Tony U

Tony U

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fishing and more fishing and oh yes Morris Dancing

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

I would imagine you will be aiming to start off on the small still waters so something in the 9' - 9'6" range with a rating of 6-7# this will cover everything you will need to begin with. In terms of value for money and the fact that they are pretty damn good i would recommend that you look at the Shakespeare Agility Range Lots of them available from the online stores like this one (chosen at random): http://www.garryevan...o-15-6836-p.asp

They will also be able to kit you out with a suitable reel (nothing too fancy to begin with) and Fly line to match (start with a floating line with a weight forward taper) you will also need tippet material, flies, landing net ( a coarse net will do to begin with), forceps etc. and if you intend to catch and kill a priest.

I would also strongly recommend you get casting lessons to start with as it wil save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

#3 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,148 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Shakespeare rods are cracking value. The Sigma range is even cheaper and surprisingly good.

http://www.johnnorri...-rods-5798.html

IMO #6/7 is perfect for reservoirs but will also be OK for small stillwaters if a bit heavy. A #5 is the other way round, so worth thinking about where you're going to fish.