fly identification

spug103

Now those last few posts certainly sounded like gold dust to me,

thanks alot guys...

next silly question

Whats the differance between a buzzer and a nymph or are they just different names for the same thing?

cheers again

spug

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now those last few posts certainly sounded like gold dust to me,

thanks alot guys...

next silly question

Whats the differance between a buzzer and a nymph or are they just different names for the same thing?

cheers again

spug

Buzzers start life at the bottom as bloodworm,changing into pupae to ascend to the surface where they hatch into 'buzzers' a fly.They can obviously be fished as bloodworm in its various guises at the bottom or pupae,submerged or close to the surface.Nymphs are the larvae of insects such as damsels,dragonflies,olives,mayflies etc etc.The flies/nymps we use can be very varied.Many of them are tied to be just a general representation of any number of nymphs,whilst some are meant to be close copies.Some such as damsels can be a close imitation right up to bordering on lures.

For what its worth,if you order £10 worth of flies from 'selectafly',which are a decent company,they will send you an identification/order leaflet which you can keep in your tackle bag :thumbs: or take yourself off to the library and see what books they have on entimology(spl).

Hope that helps

So, so true.

When you catch a good 'un, people always ask "Wot fly?" and ask about NONE of the things you mention above.

It is a bit of an insult really - they assume you are as ignorant as they, but just have (by chance) hit the jackpot by choosing a fly at random.

A good answer is to show them the fly and say you don't know what its called. :rolleyes: that really winds them up.

...and then change the fly and catch again :rolleyes:

...and as a corollary, if you use a marrow spoon, you can "match the hatch" by choosing what in your box looks nearest to the stomach contents of the fish you have caught. That way, you need not know the scientific name of the natural, nor the fancy name of the artificial.

OK. so you need an educated guess as to what fly to start with, and when you catch, you may prefer to persist with a fly that has just worked rather than go messing about with trout stomach contents.

I used to fish Loch Katrine when I was a youngster. I only ever used 2 different flies and I am not sure what they were to this day. I used to buy them from a wee shop in Callendar. I think they were called 'Grey Monkey' and 'Black Spider'. I used to put one or two of each on my cast and I seldom blanked.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote