Bic boats

noodle996

looks like a punt to me :whistling:;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello chaps :thumbs: I'm back form Aberporth, had to join this one.

I have to say, the 'boat' you are looking at is like a punt, but it might be just right for your needs.

I don't like it, but so what.

Had a great two weeks in Aberporth, the first couple of days, there was quite a bit of surf to 4ft with breaking crests. The Bics love it, surfing down waves for 30 yds or so, swamped sometimes by extra big waves, but just kept paddling until the kayak drained, no problems with stability at all.

I launched beside a guy with a prowler 13, and as soon as he sat in it, over it went, bottoms up.

I really couldn't see anything special about them at all, it looked difficult to turn quickly, turned over too easily, and looked like a big plastic toy.

The Bilbao on the other hand can turn on a sixpence, and didn't flip over once. In fact, just for fun, we had a 7 year old in the seat, my 6ft teenager draped over the bow, and me over the rear, and it still refused to go over. I sat right up on the bow solo, in rough water, still nothing happened.

Just can't seem to get the ruddy thing to go over.

I caught a few mackerel, a gurnurd, whiting, weavers , but no Bass.

Weather was great, we explored the caves, cliffs and bays around the coast, and shed a few pounds in weight too, paddling many miles on some days. Lovely part of Wales, if the sun shines. A very good base for yakking. We left the kayaks on a grass bank behind the lifeguards hut, cable locked around a post. They were fine, couldn't do that around the Kent coast, that would be vandalised.

Lots of interest in our kayaks, as one chap said, they look more like a seaworthy boat than a toy, like many other kayaks do. What a discerning fellow.

We rented a bungalow from a fellow yak angler, just 5 minutes walk from the beach. If any of you are interested in staying there, I can pass on his address. Nice clean holiday home.

I launched beside a guy with a prowler 13, and as soon as he sat in it, over it went, bottoms up.

I really couldn't see anything special about them at all, it looked difficult to turn quickly, turned over too easily, and looked like a big plastic toy.

WOW!that means over a thousand of us this year have bought the wrong kayak! :wallbash:

knew I should have bought one of them kiddies bic things that look like mini bathtubs :wallbash::wallbash:

WARNING TO ANY NEWBIE READING THIS:

DEFINATELY NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

:thumbs:

WOW!that means over a thousand of us this year have bought the wrong kayak! :wallbash:

knew I should have bought one of them kiddies bic things that look like mini bathtubs :wallbash::wallbash:

WARNING TO ANY NEWBIE READING THIS:

DEFINATELY NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

mine must be a special one with special powers as mine went through the surf last week with waves crashing over and found it very stable going out and in . :bigemo_harabe_net-183:

the sportyak was used quite a bit as a tender for harbour use . downside was it was difficult to repair if damaged .as for a fishing platform, the kayak would be a better and safer buy

glad you had a good holiday mike :thumbs:

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Lots of interest in our kayaks, as one chap said, they look more like a seaworthy boat than a toy

well he should have gone to specsavers,shouldn't he! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

Richi is one, if not the most experienced kayak fisherman in the country!

I think he has more knowledge and experience than most

The bic kayaks work for Maidstone Mike but for fishing purposes I dont think they have the correct design.

I have seen them in the flesh but never paddled one so cannot comment on them but it makes sense that experience and knowledge wins hands over.

I dont know of any 'real' fisherman that use bic kayaks!

Maidstonemike can love his bic as much as he wants but should not give reviews that are not entirely true as newbies will get the wrong idea

Marmite - you either love them or hate them :)

:)

Edited by s2vto

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I saw loads of Bics in Pembrokeshire too. Personally I do not find the design pleasing to the eye.

:offtopic::busted_cop::nono:

Guys this is a thread about a Bic boat/dinghy. The yak debate has been done to death and is now very boring. Please either make the posts MUCH funnier or let it lie :rolleyes:

I saw loads of Bics in Pembrokeshire too. Personally I do not find the design pleasing to the eye.

There is a bit of an infestation of them here at the moment, will have to get the torpedoes set up on the Pelly :D (only kidding)

I dont like them, I have paddled one and yes they have stability but they just aint my thing at all.

It's down to personal choice, Mike loves his and it does what he requires it to do.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I agree this post is not funny!

:yucky:

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse