Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raises an interesting question of who should get what concessions, and why.

I'm not convinced by the argument that the concession should not be reduced because the EA does not spend enough money on disabled access. That's a killer argument for why the disabled shouldn't have to pay more than the able bodied, not for why their discount shouldn't be reduced.

Is the point of the discount to help the less well off? Because many pensioners and many people registered disabled are not hard up and don't need a discount. Surely if that's the objective it would make more sense to tie it to receipt of income support than to age or disability?

Maybe it's to do with access, but then many, many anglers only fish commercials, which usually have decent access. If it's a matter of giving a discount to people who don't fish the rivers, I think the EA would need to brace itself for a big cut in revenue.

So, who do we think should get a discount, and why?

So, who do we think should get a discount, and why?

1) Those on low incomes.

2) Those under 18. We need to encourage more youngsters into angling. This would cost the EA in the short term, but more than pay for itself in the long run. It might even get some of the yobs off the streets and out of trouble.

The shortfall should be made up by charging the majority of us more.

In fact, I'd like to see the standard licence increase anyway, as long as the extra revenue were spent solely on fishing. Compared to other sports fishing is very inexpensive, and the licence cost is only a tiny part of the total cost of our hobby. This would enable the EA to do a better job. As it is, they're working with one hand tied behind their back.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

In fact, I'd like to see the standard licence increase anyway, as long as the extra revenue were spent solely on fishing.

And not used to justify a further cut in central government spending.

I'd like to see angling getting a bit more from central funds, though. Let's say a tenth of what the arts council hands out per annum in regular grants (that's not for capital projects, that's for business as usual). That doesn't seem unreasonable. At 40 million that would be about double what the rod licence raises.

Edited by Steve Walker

Compared to other sports fishing is very inexpensive, and the licence cost is only a tiny part of the total cost of our hobby.

I'm sorry Steve, but are you having a laugh? Fishing is "very inexpensive" compared to other sports? How much does it cost to have a game of football? A one off cost of £10 for a ball, split between 22 people, and a patch of grass to play on. Rugby? Marginally more. Cricket? Perhaps a one off cost of £50 for a bat, some gloves, etc. Fishing tackle and bait is one of the consumer scandals of the 21st century, as far as I've found.

You say the license cost is only a total part of the total cost of our hobby. That may be true for you: you are a regular, committed angler and presumably spend a considerable amount on tackle, bait, day tickets, transport, etc.

But you make the common mistake among seasoned angling pundits in considering your own angling habits as representative of everybody, which is by no means true. Most people just want to occasionally pop down the river/commercial for an hour or two of fishing, or perhaps take their kids for a day trip in which fishing is just a subsidiary activity. For instance, I'm a student, I only really ever fish the Thames, and then it is occasionally (say 6 or 7 days a year?). I don't use expensive tackle, I have used the same rod for 5 years, and I see many kids and young adults doing the same. Sometimes I lose a hook or two, or a float, or some split shot, or have to buy new line. I usually dig worms from the garden and hope there is an angler already down there who I can buy a handful of maggots from, rather than squander £2 on half a pint that I'm not going to use. For me £25 a year probably doubles the amount I spend on fishing. I suspect that a large proportion of these "1.5 million anglers in Britain" figure that gets tossed around have similar fishing habits to me. There certainly aren't 1.5 million Steve Burkes or Chris Yates going fishing every weekend - or else the records would fall every week.

With all due respect (sincere) what gets me about your position - and other professional or semi-professional anglers (e.g. Alan Yate's defence of a prospective sea angling license) - is that it is of disproportionate benefit to you. The rod license is not in the least bit progressive, it is flat rate. Everyone pays the same: it disproportionately favours those who fish a lot of their leisure time (and therefore "take" the most from the work of the EA - not that I've seen any of this) and stings people like me who fish casually and irregularly. Essentially the casual, usually lower income angler who is only interested in catching a few skimmers or a bag of roach ends up paying for a small number of committed anglers to have better fishing, while only marginally benefitting themselves.

I can see why that might appeal to many people on here, but it doesn't seem fair to me! Nor may I add, to almost every (usually working-class) angler whom I meet on the bank, who are generally full of righteous indignation (and language unrepeatable on this board) against the EA and the baliffs who enforce the rod license.

Why Should anyone get a discount ?

I can agree with kids getting a reduced rate, after all we want to encourage them to take up the sport, but apart from that why should anyone else get a free or cheap licence?

Fishing is a luxury, not a necessity and as such IMHO anyone who wants to fish should pay the full licence fee and contribute thier fair share towards the EA.

Mat

Edited by Mat Hillman

Mat

Guest tigger
In fact, I'd like to see the standard licence increase anyway, as long as the extra revenue were spent solely on fishing. Compared to other sports fishing is very inexpensive, and the licence cost is only a tiny part of the total cost of our hobby. This would enable the EA to do a better job. As it is, they're working with one hand tied behind their back.

I have to dissagree with you Steve, I think fishing is an expensive hobby. Not only have you got the EA lisence there's all your gear, not just rods n reels and the bigger items but line,weights,etc,etc the list is genuinley endless as there's always something wich needs to be replaced and then there's the all important bait!

Don't forget after buying the EA lisence there's club memberships, day tickets which can ammount to hundreds and even thousands if you join more than one. I can't remember how much your season tickets are Steve but I think those alone are beyond many people's income.

I think Lukyjim's post was well put and made sense.

Oh I forgot to mention all the tax the goverment rake in off the fishing industry maybe that should go to the EA instead of just being swallowed up dissapearing into who knows who's pockets.

Edited by tigger

I'm sorry Steve, but are you having a laugh? Fishing is "very inexpensive" compared to other sports? How much does it cost to have a game of football? A one off cost of £10 for a ball, split between 22 people, and a patch of grass to play on. Rugby? Marginally more. Cricket? Perhaps a one off cost of £50 for a bat, some gloves, etc. Fishing tackle and bait is one of the consumer scandals of the 21st century, as far as I've found.

You say the license cost is only a total part of the total cost of our hobby. That may be true for you: you are a regular, committed angler and presumably spend a considerable amount on tackle, bait, day tickets, transport, etc.

But you make the common mistake among seasoned angling pundits in considering your own angling habits as representative of everybody, which is by no means true. Most people just want to occasionally pop down the river/commercial for an hour or two of fishing, or perhaps take their kids for a day trip in which fishing is just a subsidiary activity. For instance, I'm a student, I only really ever fish the Thames, and then it is occasionally (say 6 or 7 days a year?). I don't use expensive tackle, I have used the same rod for 5 years, and I see many kids and young adults doing the same. Sometimes I lose a hook or two, or a float, or some split shot, or have to buy new line. I usually dig worms from the garden and hope there is an angler already down there who I can buy a handful of maggots from, rather than squander £2 on half a pint that I'm not going to use. For me £25 a year probably doubles the amount I spend on fishing. I suspect that a large proportion of these "1.5 million anglers in Britain" figure that gets tossed around have similar fishing habits to me. There certainly aren't 1.5 million Steve Burkes or Chris Yates going fishing every weekend - or else the records would fall every week.

With all due respect (sincere) what gets me about your position - and other professional or semi-professional anglers (e.g. Alan Yate's defence of a prospective sea angling license) - is that it is of disproportionate benefit to you. The rod license is not in the least bit progressive, it is flat rate. Everyone pays the same: it disproportionately favours those who fish a lot of their leisure time (and therefore "take" the most from the work of the EA - not that I've seen any of this) and stings people like me who fish casually and irregularly. Essentially the casual, usually lower income angler who is only interested in catching a few skimmers or a bag of roach ends up paying for a small number of committed anglers to have better fishing, while only marginally benefitting themselves.

I can see why that might appeal to many people on here, but it doesn't seem fair to me! Nor may I add, to almost every (usually working-class) angler whom I meet on the bank, who are generally full of righteous indignation (and language unrepeatable on this board) against the EA and the baliffs who enforce the rod license.

i am sorry Jim, but you are clearly talking about something of which you know little.

Football in some sense may be cheap, but not as cheap as you say. after all you will need boots, anything from £30-£150. to play properly, as that is realistically what you have to compare, you will have to pay match fees, as a pitch around my way is minimum of £25 per game to hire, plus you will have to pay for a kit, match ball, practice balls, medi kit, drinks bottles etc. not looking so cheap now is it?

Likewise cricket. a decent bat will cost you from around £80- £400, pads £30, box £5, gloves £25, whites £50, boots £30 - £90. plus there are plenty of other bits that you will need. Then you have match fees and subscriptions, because cricket pitches cost a fortune to maintain, i know, i used to do it.

The reality is that any sport is as expensive or as cheap as you wish it to be. The difference is that for your £25 a year you get to go as often, or for as long as you like, and you can spend on top from that base as much, or as little as you want.

Personally i have huge issues as to how the rod license money is spent, but not that we have to pay it.

Finally Jim, myy apologies if you are the student exception, but how much do you **** up the wall in a week? i bet its more than £25.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

As a family of five - all of whom fish - the rod licence has now become a significant outlay each year.

It wasn't too bad while the lads were younger but now they're all 'adults' it does sting a bit!

However I don't begrudge a penny of it for the fun we've all had fishing together, though it would be nice if they raised the age to eighteen, before having to pay the adult fare :D

As for other costs, well we found fishing is as expensive as you want to make it, if you're a driven tackle tart, with an eye on the guy in the next swim then I can see how it could become very expensive. On t'other hand long and passionate were the discussions about what we wanted and what we needed - my favorite rod is 10 years old!

We ended up with a basic set of tackle each, then a variety of other types of rod - we may not all have been able to spin or ledger at the same time but everyone got the chance. If we couldn't throw money at it we thought about what we had and how to use it most effectively in the given situation, look at the gear you have , look at the water and fish accordingly; and somehow each fish caught becomes so much more satisfying.

I found that many fisheries were willing to consider a discounted family rate especially when the lads were younger and would be sharing a swim with mom and dad, (now they're older I wouldn't dream of asking) and if we needed a few pints of maggots then a few less pints during the week seemed a fair exchange. And sometimes leftover turmeric coloured boiled rice made a suprisingly effective substitute as ground bait B)

As for discounts, well I can see the value for youngsters - But when those who have them start to complain because there aren't tarmaced paths so they can drive their little scooters down to their fondly remembered riverside swims, then I do feel some folk do need to step back and look at how foolish they appear. Riversides are meant to be wild places, a challenge to get to and to fish, if all our wild waterways become manicured lawns we'll lose a great deal more than a selfish few will gain.

I ain't that old but there are places I fished in my youth that I may well think several times about now - abseiling down a gully to reach a good pool being one! I'm getting older and more knackered, I'll fish where I can and not expect to be able to reach a peg three miles from the nearest road if I can't make it under my own steam with a minimum of gear to catch a fish.

When did some people start to think that even their leisure should be paid for by someone else - if it's all too expensive for you try give something up to pay for your passion......

Len

Why Should anyone get a discount ?

I can agree with kids getting a reduced rate, after all we want to encourage them to take up the sport, but apart from that why should anyone else get a free or cheap licence?

Fishing is a luxury, not a necessity and as such IMHO anyone who wants to fish should pay the full licence fee and contribute thier fair share towards the EA.

Mat

Disabled anglers get a reduced rate because a lot of them can't access alot of places that able bodied anglers can and can't fish as often therefore why should they pay as much, would you feel the same if you had to say pay the same TV licence fee as everyone else but were only ever able to watch half the programmes and infact some days not be able to watch any at all.

Wether angling is a luxury or not depends on your point of view, is it a luxury for the angler who fishes for the pot or for the angler who fishes for health reasons.

Joe