Bag Limits for Devon?

I assume Steve G has some commercial interest.

He's one of the local ones Ada, Pompey i believe.

so far He has blamed everyone from the french to RSA's to the seals in the local harbours for the lack of sizable bass locally :yucky: but like the rest of his ilk refuses to take any blame himself coz it's his "livelyhood"..........how many more feckin times do we have to hear his shite :wallbash:

Nice letter there Barry, can't wait for the response :rolleyes:

After re-reading it, i wished i had not been too quick off the mark and amended it slightly, oh well.

Been beating meself up over night and i have re-read the article by Mr Venmore and he clearly states that there is a need to restrict by means of licence and or bag limits, so i feel justified that his attack is of the rsa as a whole. Sledge to crack a nut.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a ridiculous thing to say.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

Do you speak for all boat owners and have you ever heard of anglers putting fish back that they dont want to eat?

Talk about thinking your own little bubble is the whole world.

I don't speak for all boat owners - but I know this - the average private angling boat owner will get out 10-50 times a year (data gathered from me, my friends, and small boat fishing websites). I know most will put back a lot of fish, however there are boats that do go to the bass marks or wrecks on every single tide that they can. Everyone knows that they're not putting the fish back - they see them land them ashore at the end of the day, or see them bring the fish aboard and not put them back. These boats aren't fishing the bass marks for sport - you soon get bored of catching 3lb bass - they're fishing for beer money. They might fish the wrecks for sport, but what are they doing with their fish? On another thread Barry said he had 10 good ling one day - I'm guessing they averaged 18lb, so that's 180lb of fish. At 8oz per portion allowing 1/3 wasteage for filletting that's 120lb x 2 portions per lb = 240 portions of fish., or put another way, 60 meals for a family of 4 out of ONE day's wrecking.

So, any serious anglers WILL catch more than they need for their own consumption. They may put some of it back, but let's face it, you don't spend £40k on an Aquafish or MI21 to go flounder bashing in the estuary do you? Everyone knows that the guys running boats like this are hardcore anglers who are good at catching fish. The only way to go is bag limits or commercial license - pure recreational anglers who put their excess fish back won't mind the back limit. Commercial license for an 'angling boat' is prohibitively expensive so only those who catch shedloads will need them. By the way - which would you rather have, a license on an angling boat catching 2 tonnes a year, or on a trawler or gillnetter doing 2 tonnes a day? RSA and commercials can work together on this subject as both hate the 'unlicensed commercials'.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I don't speak for all boat owners - but I know this - the average private angling boat owner will get out 10-50 times a year (data gathered from me, my friends, and small boat fishing websites). I know most will put back a lot of fish, however there are boats that do go to the bass marks or wrecks on every single tide that they can. Everyone knows that they're not putting the fish back - they see them land them ashore at the end of the day, or see them bring the fish aboard and not put them back. These boats aren't fishing the bass marks for sport - you soon get bored of catching 3lb bass - they're fishing for beer money. They might fish the wrecks for sport, but what are they doing with their fish? On another thread Barry said he had 10 good ling one day - I'm guessing they averaged 18lb, so that's 180lb of fish. At 8oz per portion allowing 1/3 wasteage for filletting that's 120lb x 2 portions per lb = 240 portions of fish., or put another way, 60 meals for a family of 4 out of ONE day's wrecking.

So, any serious anglers WILL catch more than they need for their own consumption. They may put some of it back, but let's face it, you don't spend £40k on an Aquafish or MI21 to go flounder bashing in the estuary do you? Everyone knows that the guys running boats like this are hardcore anglers who are good at catching fish. The only way to go is bag limits or commercial license - pure recreational anglers who put their excess fish back won't mind the back limit. Commercial license for an 'angling boat' is prohibitively expensive so only those who catch shedloads will need them. By the way - which would you rather have, a license on an angling boat catching 2 tonnes a year, or on a trawler or gillnetter doing 2 tonnes a day? RSA and commercials can work together on this subject as both hate the 'unlicensed commercials'.

Hi Toerag, you are correct in saying that i indeed had ten good ling in one day. Also in that post i did say what i did with the fish, apart from taking one double fillet with me for personal consumption i left the rest on the boat for the guys to share out who wern't as fortunate as me. That was the only ling trip i did last year. I do concede to catching another a week ago on a blue shad, i thought it was a cod coming up. It was over twenty five so again two nice fillets

All being well, i would get out upto 30 days in a year, in reality it would be twenty or less, not all trips are successfull.

Regarding the illegal commercial rod and line fishermen, again there is legislation, to nail these cheats but i believe, one, it is on a small scale that will not really make a good impression on the stock, Two, there really needs to be a strong determination by the guys who are running our fish protection to nail these alledged thieves. I do not agree with bag limits, it will take an enormous amount of the tax payers money to set up yet another agency to purly police the rsa for little or no return or benifit to the stock.

Could you tell me who had made an industry out of commercial licences, was it the goverment or the commercial industry itself? If it was the latter, it means that the prohibitvely expensive licence situation was caused commercially, who,s fault was that.

Totally agree with your last two lines but as posted previously my concern would be the nffo telling the rsa to get lost.

How about gill tagging.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I assume Steve G has some commercial interest.

He's one of the local ones Ada, Pompey i believe.

so far He has blamed everyone from the french to RSA's to the seals in the local harbours for the lack of sizable bass locally :yucky: but like the rest of his ilk refuses to take any blame himself coz it's his "livelyhood"..........how many more feckin times do we have to hear his shite :wallbash:

Nice letter there Barry, can't wait for the response :rolleyes:

Hi smudgertoo

QUOTE/ for the lack of sizable bass locally

There is no lack of bass locally I been catching loads and it has been the best year for bass 10 to 16lbs, I do not know where you get your misinformation from, and the beaches from Hayling to Newhaven have fished very well for large bass

steve

Hi Steve

I have just spent a long weekend in Dorset 'targetting' bass.

Total spend for two of us on local B&B and pub grub was around £320

Our intensive targetting resulted in several bass of half a pound and just one of just under 1 lb.

All were returned alive and fit.

Compared to the bass fishing that I used to enjoy of 15 to 20 years ago these results were nothing short of crap!

It isn't anglers targetting and returning bass, or taking some of what they catch for the table that has ballsed up the fishing - it is the sustained use of gill nets, set within 50 yards of our marks, an MLS that is set way too low to ensure truly sustainable bass exploitation, trawlers fishing in areas of known high juvenile bass density and discarding huge numbers of fish, an offshore fishery that has been allowed to target and erode our breeding stock and the blind reluctance of the commercial sector who rebut any attempts to safeguard the long-term future of our stocks and their own livelihoods that is doing the real damage.

And as for your sweeping statement about anglers not being sportsmen - total b******s

Cheers

Steve

Hi steve

Tell me what makes an angler a SPORTSMAN

STEVE

There is no lack of bass locally I been catching loads and it has been the best year for bass 10 to 16lbs, I do not know where you get your misinformation from, and the beaches from Hayling to Newhaven have fished very well for large bass
Steve

Yep, and so would recreational anglers along Hayling beach ..... if only some 'sheitehawk' would stop laying gill nets or similar 200 metres out for half a mile at a time along the sea front!

You'd never understand, Steve .... you're in it for money and the hell with anything fair or 'sporting' or conservation-minded! Fast bucks rule, eh?

Gilled any dogs today, Steve?

gilladog.jpg

:thumbdown:

Steve

Yep, and so would recreational anglers along Hayling beach ..... if only some 'sheitehawk' would stop laying gill nets or similar 200 metres out for half a mile at a time along the sea front!

You'd never understand, Steve .... you're in it for money and the hell with anything fair or 'sporting' or conservation-minded! Fast bucks rule, eh?

Gilled any dogs today, Steve?

gilladog.jpg

:thumbdown:

Your picture of the gilled dog is to make what point HA?

* That monofilament should be banned?

* That nets should be banned?

*That anything that entangles a dogfish should be banned?

If i put up a picture of wildlife entangled in lost angling gear (a fact of life in the rocky north) does that mean we should ban angling, or call all anglers "shitehawks" ?

The notion that its bad for COMMERCIAL fishermen to think about profit is somewhat confusing too ;):)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Statement from EUROPEAN CETACEAN BYCATCH CAMPAIGN

Then there are entanglement nets .... obscene or what?

Puffins, shearwaters, terns, dolphins, porpoises, smoothhounds, threshers, baskings sharks - and recently even, a dog found dead in a gill net after being taken for a walk along a beach.

I guess nets are out for you then?

Ever thought about roadkill HA? Should we ban roads?

"Even a dog"" ..................... lol we really are at the bottom of the barrel if thats the grounds on which we introduce new laws ; lets just let "The Sun" rule the country with a whipped up mob right behind it ............

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Your picture of the gilled dog is to make what point HA?

* That monofilament should be banned?

* That nets should be banned?

*That anything that entangles a dogfish should be banned?

If i put up a picture of wildlife entangled in lost angling gear (a fact of life in the rocky north) does that mean we should ban angling, or call all anglers "shitehawks" ?

The notion that its bad for COMMERCIAL fishermen to think about profit is somewhat confusing too ;):)

First thing i see in the photo is the tiny size of the net. It's a bit of a sledgehammer, all that net to target, dogfish? Every one knows what size dogfish are, why not make the net size larger to give the dogfish a chance or is this part of the unfortunate by products. Seem's like hardwork to me having to untangle that all the time.

Hi steve

STEVE

Steve

Well - it's quite simple really -

Angling is a sport, therefore someone who participates is a sportsman/ sportswoman.

I'm not condoning the selling of fish by anglers - far from it, but to say:

These catches go unrecorded because anglers can fish unrestricted and with out any control on what they land and therefore anglers are not sportsmen. is just nonsense.

How does the lack of restrictions (we are subject to MLSs, bass nursery areas restrictions etc.) equate to a lack of sportsmanship?

I have, by the way, just seen some photos of two bass 8.5lb and 10lb 12oz caught from a boat on fly gear over the past couple of days. The captor is not only a superb sportsman, in every sense of the word, but released both fish as well.

In reality - Very few anglers sell the fish that they catch Steve.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts