Chieftain

MARTING

Guest challenge

When taking anglers to sea the weather will always dictate when, if and most importantly where you will go.

The chieftain is a large sound good sea vessel that could and has put weather away when it has had too.

I believe that on the trip in question the wind was forecast from the north. So you go north. Where not talking about a 15 joy ride to do some local course fishing here. They wanted to go a good distance to try and repeated some of the previous good trips.

I know that the best of the fishing would have been to the east or south east. The chieftain could have gone that way but it would have meant them facing a steam home in a northley gale crossing areas where there is less than 15 meters of water with the wind on your beam.

The chieftain and I and George and his crew would of handled it with little problem. But the passengers would have not.

We often went away from the harbour last year in a westley gale, steamed east for 14 or 15 hours and you couldn’t tell we had left the harbour in the following sea. Forecast would have given it falling away by the time you got there and started fishing so you used the boat to its best advantage.

Unbelievable how people can talk about weather conditions and so called bad weather days when they have never experienced them.

In the 5 years I was with john I never experienced a bad weather day. Why, because we didn’t go to sea in bad weather.

In the twenty odd years I have spent fishing in the North Sea I can say I have spent about 3 days of them in poor weather. Let me tell you, you don’t want to experience it. There isn’t an angling boat in Whitby that has been to sea in bad weather, simply because none but the chieftain would have survived it.

There’s so much more to going to sea than catching fish. I know that’s what we want to do, but sometimes the sea won’t allow you to do it.

As for filleting fish, if I was an angler and couldn’t fillet fish I wouldn’t go fishing. I certainly wouldn’t blame someone else for not filleting it for me.

Regards.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When taking anglers to sea the weather will always dictate when, if and most importantly where you will go.

The chieftain is a large sound good sea vessel that could and has put weather away when it has had too.

I believe that on the trip in question the wind was forecast from the north. So you go north. Where not talking about a 15 joy ride to do some local course fishing here. They wanted to go a good distance to try and repeated some of the previous good trips.

I know that the best of the fishing would have been to the east or south east. The chieftain could have gone that way but it would have meant them facing a steam home in a northley gale crossing areas where there is less than 15 meters of water with the wind on your beam.

The chieftain and I and George and his crew would of handled it with little problem. But the passengers would have not.

We often went away from the harbour last year in a westley gale, steamed east for 14 or 15 hours and you couldn’t tell we had left the harbour in the following sea. Forecast would have given it falling away by the time you got there and started fishing so you used the boat to its best advantage.

Unbelievable how people can talk about weather conditions and so called bad weather days when they have never experienced them.

In the 5 years I was with john I never experienced a bad weather day. Why, because we didn’t go to sea in bad weather.

In the twenty odd years I have spent fishing in the North Sea I can say I have spent about 3 days of them in poor weather. Let me tell you, you don’t want to experience it. There isn’t an angling boat in Whitby that has been to sea in bad weather, simply because none but the chieftain would have survived it.

There’s so much more to going to sea than catching fish. I know that’s what we want to do, but sometimes the sea won’t allow you to do it.

As for filleting fish, if I was an angler and couldn’t fillet fish I wouldn’t go fishing. I certainly wouldn’t blame someone else for not filleting it for me.

Regards.

I've been on a fifty odd footer before Challenge where the sea was coming from the bow right over the stern and rolling more than 45 degress. Does that count. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
I've been on a fifty odd footer before Challenge where the sea was coming from the bow right over the stern and rolling more than 45 degress. Does that count. :D

The last time I was in bad weather in a boat (60 foot) we had a 5 hour steam to run for home. It took us 19 hours and when we got in we found the 12 man life raft in the after mast rigging, we had no radars left, in fact there wasn’t much equipment left on her at all above wheelhouse top level. we had to beach her to stop her from sinking when we got in the harbour and then spent 6 weeks on a slipway having all her planks (from around her head) replaced and her shelter deck straitened out so that you could again walk under it from the shear Waite of water that we where taking while trying to stay alive.

So Barry my answer is no. :schmoll:

Regards.

The last time I was in bad weather in a boat (60 foot) we had a 5 hour steam to run for home. It took us 19 hours and when we got in we found the 12 man life raft in the after mast rigging, we had no radars left, in fact there wasn’t much equipment left on her at all above wheelhouse top level. we had to beach her to stop her from sinking when we got in the harbour and then spent 6 weeks on a slipway having all her planks (from around her head) replaced and her shelter deck straitened out so that you could again walk under it from the shear Waite of water that we where taking while trying to stay alive.

So Barry my answer is no. :schmoll:

Regards.

Ah well, count me as a fairweather fisherman then. :) We were more fortunate that the boat was made of metal. Lost a few dinner plates though.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I bet that one gave you the runaround!!! Nice fish :thumbs:

Fishing in 100m of water, not with the gear i was using. I had about ten that day all good ones,

Left em on the boat for the others to take as i went up the coast fishing for the rest of the week. Nice trip.

All being well , we should be out fishing on a 60 hour trip with the Chieftain Tomorrow (Friday 6 PM).

What's the score with the weather? The forecasts that i've looked at make it very doubtful, but the weather could change for the better i suppose.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

All being well , we should be out fishing on a 60 hour trip with the Chieftain Tomorrow (Friday 6 PM).

What's the score with the weather? The forecasts that i've looked at make it very doubtful, but the weather could change for the better i suppose.

Hi Carl it's looking like a NW 16-22 KNOTS.

Hi Carl it's looking like a NW 16-22 KNOTS.

Cheers for the "heads up" MARTING , i thought as much myself , but the forecasts are all over the place at the minute.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Cheers for the "heads up" MARTING , i thought as much myself , but the forecasts are all over the place at the minute.

Carl its dropping to NW 9-12KNOTS so you might be ok. Hope you have a good trip.