Anchor weight?

Bofh

Hi everyone, just got back from Spain, didn't manage any fishing but did buy another Malibu 2 XL while we were there.

Don't know why people think it's hard to handle, my lady is 5.3 and 7 stone and she managed 3 foot waves all on her own We did have a bit of a scare on the Med though, we ran into some very big waves I'd say they were between 6 and 10 feet, scared the pants off me but she loved it Said it was like being on Deadliest Catch lol. Gary Smith advised us not to go one the Med after 1pm but that was after we did it twice lol..

Anyhow, I'm waiting on my flush rod holders and hope to be out on the river Medway this weekend for the Pike and perch and some chub. My question today is what weight anchor should I get, I'm going to get one of those dinghy anchors or grapnel anchors;

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/chandlery_prod...pnel_anchor.htm

I think the 2.5kg will do it, just thought I'd ask the experts.

Hi everyone, just got back from Spain, didn't manage any fishing but did buy another Malibu 2 XL while we were there.

Don't know why people think it's hard to handle, my lady is 5.3 and 7 stone and she managed 3 foot waves all on her own We did have a bit of a scare on the Med though, we ran into some very big waves I'd say they were between 6 and 10 feet, scared the pants off me but she loved it Said it was like being on Deadliest Catch lol. Gary Smith advised us not to go one the Med after 1pm but that was after we did it twice lol..

Anyhow, I'm waiting on my flush rod holders and hope to be out on the river Medway this weekend for the Pike and perch and some chub. My question today is what weight anchor should I get, I'm going to get one of those dinghy anchors or grapnel anchors;

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/chandlery_prod...pnel_anchor.htm

I think the 2.5kg will do it, just thought I'd ask the experts.

2.5kg may be a bit heavy and those prices seem a bit steep.

Try the lighter 0.75kg anchor as its good enough if there are no major flows.

Less weight to carry and haul up at the end of the day.

:thumbs:

Edited by gilbo

0.75 with some chain and plenty of line should suffice - it held me on Sunday in a 3ft swell and 16mph wind with current in the same direction.

would that be heavy enough to hold in the bristol channel? where is a good place to purchase it from? btw how much and what grade/weight chain would you use and what length?

Don't think the weight is that important, just a long length of line to let the shaft(?) of the anchor lie flat. Chain helps as the extra weight and leverage will give the same effect with a less shallow angle on the line.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

would that be heavy enough to hold in the bristol channel? where is a good place to purchase it from? btw how much and what grade/weight chain would you use and what length?

hi cf

i use a 1.5k grapnel anchor in the channel with 2 mtrs of 6mm and of chain with 50mtrs of 3mm nylon rope holds me fine in the mid 11mtr tides i get mine from the chandlers in weston around £10 for anchor with the chain the rope was dear at £9 for 50mtrs you should be able to find it cheaper if you shop around :thumbs: