fat cats

spanner

Guest stevie cop

If anyone has got a copy of Charles Clover's book called "The end of the line", read the chapter called "The slime trail" again.

If anyone hasn't got a copy, I'd thoroughly recommend it as essential reading for all sea anglers and anyone else with an interest in fish stocks and management.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaffa:

im in the middle of reading Redmond O'Hanlon's book "Trawler;A journey through the North Atlantic",

A first class travel writer. I have read his books on travelling in jungles in Borneo, Amazonia and the Congo - and as someone who has spent a fair bit of time in tropical rain forests I found they are very close to reality, as well as entertaining.

Will look out for the trawler book. When was it published?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Vagabond, I'm really impressed with it so far; very thought provoking writer who actually understands some biology !. First time I've read one of his books but looks like I'll need to go and buy all the others now ! :)

I've got the hardback which was published by Hamish Hamilton books, 2003.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I've not read the book,I don't think my blood pressure would stand it,I have read two articles by Mr Clover both made me angry as hell, he lives localy so I phoned him, I found him to be an upper crust pompous twit who did not know his elbo from his arse.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest stevie cop

Charles Clover wrote that book after 7 years of research. During this time he travelled the world and spoke to many people involved in fisheries management.

I'd say it was worth a read, even if you might not like what has been written.

Jaffa:

Thanks Tuggs; its great to hear news from up North.

Do you know what kind of boat the new one is and why he's "downsized" ?

Coincidentally, im in the middle of reading Redmond O'Hanlon's book "Trawler;A journey through the North Atlantic", which is about Redmond's experiences on the Norlantean K.508, skippered by Angus's son in law (?). Have you heard if that boat is still on the go, and is it still at the deep-sea fisheries?

Cheers, Chris.

from the local orkney newspaper website this about the Norlantean...

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/archive/2003/archive45.htm

'The Norlantean II, the successor to the Norlantean, sailed from Stromness on her first fishing trip on Monday.

The trawler is owned and operated by Jason Schofield.

The subject of a new book, Trawler: A Journey Through the North Atlantic, the original Norlantean was decommissioned recently.'

i assume it is still the same skipper?

I don't know why he downsized but i seem to remember that the locals were saying it was something to do with the compensation being offered, but would that count as orcades viking is still in operation albeit through new owners (iceland not norway sorry)?

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

Cheers Tuggs :)

Yes thats the guy: Jason Schofield. Sounds like hes doing okay on the deepsea species then. Wonder how long that fishery will last...

Decommissioning means scrapping the boat; unless the rules have changed but it seems unlikely. Perhaps he's sold on his quotas. I had a look through the Orcadian links and came across one about the Viking from 2003. It said the boats engines had broken down, and it had to be towed into Lerwick> The cost of repair was being put at 1 million ! Maybe the compensation was something to do with the boat builder rather than our goverment?

Still, either way, one less Super trawler to upset @spring@'s @summer@ !

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net