fat cats

spanner

Leon, I understand that its to be staffed by multinational inspectors but I question how effective it can ever be, or indeed is ever meant to be.

Ok , its purpose is to make sure national enforcement agencies do their job, rather than run expensive protection ships and investigations themselves, but how serious will it ever be, given how little money its allegedly going to get. £5 million is a figure I've seen touted by the tories ? .

Compared with the 1 billion aid given the Spanish fishing industry, or indeed the turnover of any of the major players in the seafood business, this does not seem a serious attempt to get to grip with the problems. I suspect these inspectors will not stand a chance.

I'd love to be convinced differently Leon; I'm no rabid anti European but have watched the CFP destroy the fishing industry here during my working life.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm too cynical and whatever money needed will be made available...

Then again perhaps not:

http://www.falkland-malvinas.com/Detalle.asp?NUM=5558

quote:

EU Fisheries commissioner warns about budget cuts

Faced with budgetary cuts proposed by several European Union (EU) Member States, the EU Fisheries Commissioner Joe Borg fears they “will negatively affect” the fishing sector, preventing negotiations and materialization of pending fishing agreements with third countries.

Member States that submitted the proposed cuts, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Austria, Holland, and Sweden, have done so intending to lower the EU budget to 1% of the gross domestic product (GDP).

Meanwhile, the European Commission (CE) proposed the new European Fisheries Fund (EEF) be granted EUR 7,600 million for the 2007-2013 period which represents a 0.7% of the EU total budget.

Should these six Member States, which make the highest contributions to EU coffers, impose their idea, the EC proposal will have to face a review.

Brussels has estimated the EU expenses to be between 1.24% of GDP, while major contributors want to lower that percentage to one.

"It would not be possible continue the negotiation of certain agreements with third countries,” said Borg during his speech before the Euro Parliament Fisheries Commission.

In Borg’s opinion, if the EU budget is reduced, the more vulnerable sectors will be the most affected by this monetary decline. The reduced availability of funds will negatively affect "the aid granted to small and medium fishing companies," he added.

Borg also said that, if the initiative proposed by these six European countries goes through, the possibilities for growth in economic activities such as aquaculture and seafood transformation will be hampered.

Instead he stated that if the EC proposal is approved there will be enough budget for the EU fishing sector. (FIS/MP).-

While I'd be happy to see the EU fisheries aid money slashed, I wonder what happens to all those Spainish boats that depend on third country fisheries agreements? Does not sound like theres a lot of spare cash for enforcement sloshing around...

Jaffa:

I'd love to be convinced differently Leon; I'm no rabid anti European but have watched the CFP destroy the fishing industry here during my working life.

And all around the world?

The decline of world fish stocks, and the industries and communities which depend upon them is a global problem.

Do you really believe that UK stocks would have been immune from the damage done if we hadn't been in the CFP?

Or even that maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be in a far worse situation without some of the disciplines that the EU have effected.

Nearly all of the regulation that has been instituted as a result of EU conservation measures, not just in fisheries, has been fought tooth and nail by interested parties in various sectors.

I have a feeling that our own politicians would have seen the UK fishing industry wiped out long ago, by giving in to their demands to be allowed to catch more and more, and more fish.

Just like the coalminers, dockers etc.

'Let them put themselves out of work and disappear into history, without the need for compensation' is, I suspect, the agenda of some.

Tight Lines - leon

ps and I'm not a rabid pro-European

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

wurzel:

Please show me evidence of damage done to UK stocks. The fishermen have been hammered more than stocks.

From the latest DEFRA report:

Charting Progress

"Human activity has already resulted in adverse changes to marine life and continues to do so, for example, continued widespread commercial fishing practices threaten many fish stocks by over-exploitation and damage sea floor areas."

ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS OF MARINE FISHERIES

"The relentless pressure of

fishing has meant that the deep ocean and

the seas around our coast are being

depleted of fish and other living creatures

at an alarming and unsustainable rate."

But of course none of this is true Wurzel, as you know, the seas around our coast are teeming with fish.

Tight Lines - leon

ps John needs some reassurance at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...ic;f=2;t=004720

[ 28. April 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

"Please show me evidence of damage done to UK stocks"

wurzel, are you serious? Do you believe there has not been any damage? Have you tried pulling your head out of the sand? (I was going to say ar*e but I thought there is no need to be impolite)

[ 28. April 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: spanner ]

Iceland, Norway, Faroe Leon.

All with thriving commercial fishing communities and angling we can only dream about. All with control over their own fishing grounds. All able to quickly react to problems and chnages when they occur; as they always will.

To see Borg only now, in 2005, talking about maybe introducing management systems, that have been known about for decades is hardly something that gives much confidence.

One of the biggest reasons the Scottish whitefish fleet went from 55ft boats to 90ft so quickly was the years of EU subsidy money that poured in to modernise them in the 1970's and 1980's. Left to their own devices and finances things would never have reached this stage, good old plain economics would have seen to that.

Page 1 of "Charting Progress" features THAT map again. The one showing our limits as they were when we still had Rockall .... :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Still, interesting to see just what we have given away to EU control. With a deal with Norway we would have easily had control over most of the stocks that matter to UK fishermen and anglers.

Yes I'm very serious.

Cod are low I agree but so far I have not seen any evidence it has any thing to do with over fishing,

Big Cod is still catching reasnable amounts of cod, OK not so many as a few years ago but whats normal now or then, there were no cod around here 50 years ago, so was there many at Whitby.

Plaice, a bit like the cod, down but no were near out.

Bass, more than ever, even the French pair teams are catching more large fish each year after 20 years of heavy fishing.

Dover sole, stocks are healthy dispite heavy fishing by beamtrawlers and a huge fleet of french tramel netters.Quota's were increased by over 100% for Southwest boats last year.

Haddock, at a 30 year high.

Monkfish, all time high,

Sprats, Herring, Mackrel, healthy.

Pollack, no problem.

Coalfish, the same.

Even Sam says he's catching plenty of skate and smoothhounds were good last year.

I agree most stocks, like the bass, could pahaps be improved with a increace in landing size,

But it's not vital for thier survival.

Leon you still have not showed me any proof.

I fish to live and live to fish.